Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My groups with the 995ts had been getting larger; 2-3" @ 50yrd increased to 3-5". Called HP. We talked. They said send it in. (FYI's: 4,500 rnds, mostly S&B and Magtech 115's)

Got it back and they replaced LOT's of parts including the chamber but the report also said "... so much build up that we had to replace the barrel." Ouch.

So can a barrel be too dirty to clean or was it just faster/cheaper of the mfgr to just drop in a new one along with a bunch of other parts?

Wouldn't a 'dirty beyond repair' barrel produce crazy groups rather than just ones that were a little larger?

·
Premium Member
21,458 Posts
Might want to figure out something better to deal with copper fowling. You do run a clean lightly oiled patch in there when you finish cleaning?

·
Premium Member
36,066 Posts
Run a brush through it after every 1-200 rounds. Sheesh.

Labor plus materials to clean a super dirty gun might easily cost more than the new barrel costs the factory.

Probably, the groups open up with a dirty barrel. Crazy groups come from messed up barrels, bad ammo, or damaged or badly made crowns.

Reactions: OldOutlaw

·
Super Moderator
28,606 Posts
So OP asks a question, "can an over-dirty barrel have this specific performance issue?" And he gets 4 replies of "You didn't clean your barrel, here's how to do it."

Good job, HPFF.

So I figure I'll pile on too...
Q: "can an over-dirty barrel have this specific performance issue?
A: "you're stupid and ugly."

:rolleyes:

Here's the real answer. Yes, as the rifling becomes less effective because it's getting filled in, groups will tend to open up. BP guys are familiar with this phenomenon; it happens really fast for them. Yes, cleaning a very fouled barrel can be quite a chore, particularly if it's copper fouling. If a replacement barrel is just setting there, it's a ton faster to just swap the barrel.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
36,066 Posts
So OP asks a question, "can an over-dirty barrel have this specific performance issue?" And he gets 4 replies of "You didn't clean your barrel, here's how to do it."

Good job, HPFF.
Huh....that’s odd.
This looks a lot like a direct answer.
Probably, the groups open up with a dirty barrel. Crazy groups come from messed up barrels, bad ammo, or damaged or badly made crowns.
Huh. So does this...
Labor plus materials to clean a super dirty gun might easily cost more than the new barrel costs the factory.
So maybe you can check yerself just a bit?

·
Premium Member
6,913 Posts
I simply asked him a question. "Have you been cleaning your barrel? "
I see nothing rude or wrong with that. Jeesh!

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, as the rifling becomes less effective because it's getting filled in, groups will tend to open up. BP guys are familiar with this phenomenon; it happens really fast for them. Yes, cleaning a very fouled barrel can be quite a chore, particularly if it's copper fouling. If a replacement barrel is just setting there, it's a ton faster to just swap the barrel.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Good info. Makes sense. Thx!

·
Super Moderator
28,606 Posts
Huh....that’s odd.
This looks a lot like a direct answer.
"Run a brush through it after every 1-200 rounds. Sheesh."

Huh. So does this...
After you first harangued him a bout cleaning the barrel.

So maybe you can check yerself just a bit?
Maybe HPFF could just not crap on a poster and try to restrict ourselves to answering the questions, or at least being helpful.

·
Super Moderator
28,606 Posts
I simply asked him a question. "Have you been cleaning your barrel? "
I see nothing rude or wrong with that. Jeesh!
You didn't answer either of his questions and, instead, focused on his explanation of why he's asking the question. It sure reads as criticism. Unhelpful at the very least.

·
Premium Member
36,066 Posts
"Run a brush through it after every 1-200 rounds. Sheesh."

After you first harangued him a bout cleaning the barrel.

Maybe HPFF could just not crap on a poster and try to restrict ourselves to answering the questions, or at least being helpful.
Maybe mods could make less generalized and factually incorrect criticisms?

Harangued? I thought we were mostly adults and men. My bad, I guess.

Reactions: OldOutlaw

·
Super Moderator
28,606 Posts
Maybe mods could make less generalized and factually incorrect criticisms?
100%

Harangued? I thought we were mostly adults and men. My bad, I guess.
Mostly adults and men who are armed, trained, and you never know when they're having a bad day or their dog is dying.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
36,066 Posts
If your dog were dying, why would you be whining about your non-maintained Hi Point? Priorities, man!

Reactions: yworrydog

·
Super Moderator
28,606 Posts
If your dog were dying, why would you be whining about your non-maintained Hi Point? Priorities, man!
You saw Old Yeller, right?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Rerun

·
Super Moderator
28,606 Posts
Required watching to my generation. Pretty sure we watched it in school at some point.:cry:
Along with those "science" films from the 1950's that had a "scientist" in a suit interacting with animation. Google says it was the Bell Science Series.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
Along with those "science" films from the 1950's that had a "scientist" in a suit interacting with animation. Google says it was the Bell Science Series.
And while we're on that subject, I'd like to thank the Ohio Highway Patrol for such notable films as "Red Asphalt" and "Blood on the Beer Cans". Loved listening to the girls gag

·
Registered
Anything but GLOCKS
100 Posts
Loved listening to the girls gag
That's not weird at all.

But seriously, it wouldn't hurt to go lighter on people asking questions. There was a time before felonious assault when everybody was expected to be respectful to one another.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts