Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

"... so much build up that we had to replace the barrel."

9K views 104 replies 26 participants last post by  moona11 
#1 ·
My groups with the 995ts had been getting larger; 2-3" @ 50yrd increased to 3-5". Called HP. We talked. They said send it in. (FYI's: 4,500 rnds, mostly S&B and Magtech 115's)

Got it back and they replaced LOT's of parts including the chamber but the report also said "... so much build up that we had to replace the barrel." Ouch.

So can a barrel be too dirty to clean or was it just faster/cheaper of the mfgr to just drop in a new one along with a bunch of other parts?

Wouldn't a 'dirty beyond repair' barrel produce crazy groups rather than just ones that were a little larger?

#4 ·
Might want to figure out something better to deal with copper fowling. You do run a clean lightly oiled patch in there when you finish cleaning?

#5 ·
Run a brush through it after every 1-200 rounds. Sheesh.

Labor plus materials to clean a super dirty gun might easily cost more than the new barrel costs the factory.

Probably, the groups open up with a dirty barrel. Crazy groups come from messed up barrels, bad ammo, or damaged or badly made crowns.

Reactions: OldOutlaw
#6 ·
So OP asks a question, "can an over-dirty barrel have this specific performance issue?" And he gets 4 replies of "You didn't clean your barrel, here's how to do it."

Good job, HPFF.

So I figure I'll pile on too...
Q: "can an over-dirty barrel have this specific performance issue?
A: "you're stupid and ugly."

:rolleyes:

Here's the real answer. Yes, as the rifling becomes less effective because it's getting filled in, groups will tend to open up. BP guys are familiar with this phenomenon; it happens really fast for them. Yes, cleaning a very fouled barrel can be quite a chore, particularly if it's copper fouling. If a replacement barrel is just setting there, it's a ton faster to just swap the barrel.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

#7 ·
So OP asks a question, "can an over-dirty barrel have this specific performance issue?" And he gets 4 replies of "You didn't clean your barrel, here's how to do it."

Good job, HPFF.
Huh....that’s odd.
This looks a lot like a direct answer.
Probably, the groups open up with a dirty barrel. Crazy groups come from messed up barrels, bad ammo, or damaged or badly made crowns.
Huh. So does this...
Labor plus materials to clean a super dirty gun might easily cost more than the new barrel costs the factory.
So maybe you can check yerself just a bit?

#12 ·
You didn't answer either of his questions and, instead, focused on his explanation of why he's asking the question. It sure reads as criticism. Unhelpful at the very least.

#16 ·
You saw Old Yeller, right?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Rerun
#22 ·
Holy crap!! What has happened here? When I joined this forum people were regularly harrassed to the point of leaving. It was like a hobby for some of us. I nearly left many times. I specifically remember asking how many posts did it take to be accepted as a member of this forum?
People are so thin skinned nowadays. This thread was very mild compared to some I've seen here. Everyone needs to put on their big girl panties and get a grip

P.S. sorry for your loss Kirk. Losing your family pet is devastating.
P.S.S. "you're supposed to clean these thing?!?"

#23 ·
Holy crap!! What has happened here? When I joined this forum people were regularly harrassed to the point of leaving. It was like a hobby for some of us. I nearly left many times. I specifically remember asking how many posts did it take to be accepted as a member of this forum?
People are so thin skinned nowadays. This thread was very mild compared to some I've seen here. Everyone needs to put on their big girl panties and get a grip

P.S. sorry for your loss Kirk. Losing your family pet is devastating.
P.S.S. "you're supposed to clean these thing?!?"
Credit where it's due. Dave has caught WAY more than his fair share of shit sandwiches since joining. He's still here.

#24 ·
I think some folks like stirring the pot, even if crap gets on them.

But at least Dave hasn’t gone as far as the “9mm in a revolver is as powerful as .357” claim! :ROFLMAO:

And he has posted a few good deals, I’ve bought more than one thing on his heads up.(y)

#27 ·
There doesn't seem to be much activity on this forum already and it seems like participation from new people would be welcomed.
Glad to see you here AmberLoo. Welcome to the forums.

#30 ·
I stuck it out. Been here for 8yrs. There's a lot of good people here. Lots of good advice. I think some have decided that "big brother" is watching so they've stopped posting. I personally lost all my firearms in a freak unicycling accident so I just hang around to live vicariously. Haha
Welcome Amberloo from the great southwest!

#37 ·
dees my mostest favoritest! Everbody here loves bacom ------ and tacos!

Reactions: undeRGRound
#47 ·
I got a vacation for pointing out to a mod on a Glock forum when he told us that we couldn't talk politics. Yet they had a politics forum. That shitbag claimed I was trolling. Fuck'm and feed'm fish heads and rice.

Reactions: undeRGRound
#50 ·
@OldOutlaw it also says your participation here is 100% voluntary and you as the user aren't permitted to prevent or restrict the ability of other users to enjoy the site. If someone brought up the Bible passage in your signature line and pointed out how it's outside of the pay wall in direct violation of our local rules? I would be obligated to do one of many things from removing it to banning you.

Instead, the complainant would be told to suck it up.

Prayer requests, the 2A forum, the OC/CC area, any post with any profanity or hint of impropriety, all of it can disappear right now if you want.

Just keep in mind that you're the jagoff that complained about Kirk and I so much to the admins on another forum that it got one of those morons sent here who completely screwed up the entire back end of the forum to the point that I had to call the then EOL rep and talk her through restoring things.

If you're so thin skinned that you can't handle a little profanity, feel free to stick to the other forum...

Reactions: Rerun
#59 ·
@OldOutlaw
[...]
Just keep in mind that you're the jagoff that complained about Kirk and I so much to the admins on another forum that it got one of those morons sent here who completely screwed up the entire back end of the forum to the point that I had to call the then EOL rep and talk her through restoring things.
You're being too nice. OO pissing and moaning about the staff here is also the reason that some douche got sent over as a fully empowered mod. He showed up, white-knighted himself, blabbed on about how many other forums he was a mod for, ignored our policies and procedures of conduct and ethics for staff, then effed of in a sulk after being told that 1) we didn't want him or need him, and 2) he still has to follow the rules here just like the rest of us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.