So the wife tells me.......

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by SWAGA, May 28, 2015.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

So I picked up my AK under folder last Tuesday.
    So slowly wifey goes from UGH! to 'I bet ya bought the folding stock because it looks cooler and you can hide it'....close
    Today as we're having a little celebratory barbecue she tells me......she likes an Uzi...
    I'm like dayuuuuum!
    She's coming over to the dark side but an Uzi is big bucks.
    So I ask her if she like the Tec-9.
    I show her one online and she goes, yeah like that one too.

So......
    Any suggestions about semi auto Uzi or Tec-9?
    Which companies make them and what are generally what they go for?

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I will tell you that one of the 3 worst guns I have ever owned was Tech-9 preban. I mean I had 2 - 32rd magazines & I was unable in the 8 years I owned it to shoot much more than 15 rounds through it without jamming or misfiring. I tried all kinds of ammo. I took it to a smith, & he messed with it for a week & gave it back, said he couldn't figure it out either. It got up to about 20 rds before it jammed up. It was very loud with fixed sights& could hit the broad side of a barn! GOOD LUCK! I would just buy her a Uzi 22LR be done with it?

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    My ex-BIL had a Tec-9 that ran like a sewing machine... He's the one that sold my Dad an S&W model 27 for $300 :eek:

4. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Supporting Member

such a lucky man, but then, my ole lady has claimed my c9 as hers

5. undeRGRound

INDY
    Tel her you gotta replace it! :dance:

6. Kiln

Kiln Member

How about a Masterpiece Arms Mac clone? They're around for less than $400, still look cool, have cheap mags available, and are warrantied for life.

7. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    ...and they come in 45ACP!

8. SWAGA

Ok, I'm ready for some edumecation on that subject.
    You get a parts gun with a torched receiver.
    How do you go from there making a legal semi auto 'pistol' I assume?
    Unless you want to go the SBR way.

9. If you really want a 9 millimeter short barreled rifle get a Glock model 17 and then get a shoulder stock for it. You can get also get Glock factory 30 round magazines for it.

You can also get a Glock Model 22 and make a .40 S&W caliber short barreled rifle with the below stock:

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Limi...F8&qid=1432873057&sr=8-1&keywords=glock+stock

To be legal though you will have to register it with the B.A.T.F. as a Class III short barrel weapon.

10. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Pay a lot of money for someone to make it work again. No real cheap way around that one.

11. Kiln

Kiln Member

He says he wants to keep the budget reasonable so your recommendation is to buy a $400+ gun, buy a couple of $30 mags, and then pay the government $200 to add a $100+ stock to it.

Not exactly what I'd consider cheap.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  12. It depends on the length of the barrel you use as to if it is a pistol, a SBR or carbine.

Other UZI kits and parts that may or may not be needed:
    http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/Parts-Kits-and-Build-Parts-c161.htm

A video:
    http://theredneckengineer.blogspot.nl/2013/08/how-to-build-your-own-uzi-from-parts.html

This for more:
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=uzi+parts+kit+build

13. If one does that:

1. It isn't DIY.
    2. To avoid any possible problems with the 'man' it would have to have the same paper work as any gun bought from a FFL.

It's a sub gun and not something that requires any thing special to make. Like a Madsen LMG to semi build might.

14. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

You first have to either find and buy a receiver or make one yourself. Torched receivers must be cut to remove almost 1/2" of material in order to keep it from being welded back together easily. You then have to either buy, modify, or make the FCG; removing any FA parts and/or capabilities. ( if you are buying a former FA parts kit that you want to make semi ). Depending on what parts kit you purchased, you may have to try to find a barrel, trunnion etc.:)

You will probably need to purchase and learn how to use a TIG welder if you are going to try to repair the provided torch cut receiver. :)

Unless you are a pretty skilled gunsmith, I would not recommend buying and trying to build off a parts kit. What type of firearm specifically are you considering doing this with?

15. SWAGA

Not really considering..more contemplating if I have the skills to do it.
    Doesn't look like it though.
    Would be for an Uzi.

16. undeRGRound

INDY
    One could likely weld up a lapping plate that "fills the gap". Pretty easy if it is a square receiver.
    But a home fabricated receiver would be legal without a serial number.
    Is a "repaired receiver" legal w/o an sn, Flash? :confused:

17. undeRGRound

INDY
    ...also depends where the cuts are made! :rofl:

18. SWAGA

I had a look at a TEC-9 today and I must say it's kinda cool but not really $500 worth of cool.
    For another $100 I'd have wifey an AR...