Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been considering a larger-caliber handgun than my 22LR.
If I were to get an autoloader, it would definitely be a stainless Taurus PT99.

But, I was thinking I would keep the revolver thing going and get a nice long barreled revolver, 6" at least. may even look at the 8+" ones. I don't think I've ever seen a 9mm revolver, but then it struck me that it was probably because of all these revolvers for .357 and .38 special, and how they are identical in diameter to the 9mm (9mm = .354")

Comparing a 9mm to a .38 special, an empty .38 special case can be put right over the bullet of a 9mm and match up to the rim on the 9mm. The only difference besides the length of the .38 is that the headstamp part (not sure what you call it) is larger than the diameter of the rest of the case. simply put, this seems like it was designed to be used in revolvers.

I suppose i'm working my way up the calibers based on cost to shoot, and .38 specials are several bucks more per 100 than 9mm.

But then I run into this problem of whether I should get a gun that can shoot .357 magnum as well as the .38 special (especially since it will be a revolver) But then the .357 magnum costs the exact same as the .45 Auto. Which opens up a whole other can of worms.

So, as you can see, I am at a boggle. I may just ignore the .45 because I just don't like its stubby size going into a long barreled revolver. Maybe there's ballistics reasoning behind it, idk.

Any advice that would help me narrow my choices would be sweet. Does .38 special and .357 mag shoot the same as far as accuracy goes? I suppose ignoring that the .357 has a bigger kick. If I'll just be shooting paper targets, would the extra power of the mag just be wasted on decimating paper?

Sorry for the long post, it's mostly me thinking out loud. Only now does it seem like I should go for a .38 special revolver, maybe even get an 8" Taurus Tracker. hmmmmmmmmm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There is nothing wrong at all with the 38/357 The 38 is very under rated. The 357 gives you lots of versatility. The one thing the 38/357 gives you the 9mm does not is you can load very light bullets all way up to a 220gr bullet. You can also get many rifles right now that shoot 38/357. I think a hot 357 in a 150gr bullet from a rifle is nothing to be taken lightly.

But I must say that I can load my 9mm way cheaper then I can my 38/357.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a 9mm revolver, but then it struck me that it was probably because of all these revolvers for .357 and .38 special, and how they are identical in diameter to the 9mm (9mm = .354")
I *think* there may be some 9mm revolvers, but you would need a special type of clip (ring?) to use the bullets. The issue is that certain cartridges are simple not designed for use in a revolver. They need to have a rim for the extraction method used in revolvers and I think also for positive seating, again due to the different nature of the guns.

Some calibers are available in different cartriges (.45 for example) made for the different type of weapons.

Some calibers (9mm, 10mm, etc) are specifically for auto-loaders.

I am sure someone will chime in with more details and correct some of my generalizations, but that is it in a nutshell...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry bud, can't link to asp unless you send me your appropriate cookies as well. and some milk.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
they solved the moon clip issue with the 45 revos with 45 auto rim. the 9mm wheelguns never cuaght on enough for anyone to produce a 9mm luger rimmed. The 9mm revos out there are OK but id never go for one unless its uber cheap. moon clips are next to impossible to find anymore.

SW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

maybe the 8" barrel is a bit much. this here taurus 627 would match my 970 (22lr)

awful purdy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know taurus copies the smith & wesson, but i prefer the look of the taurus trackers. they were what got me into liking wheelguns in the first place. that sexy underlug tickles my pickle. besides, i can buy like a bajillion rounds with the price difference between the S&W and the taurus.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Taurus Tracker vs the price of the S&W is a good deal. The .357 mag is not sloutch round and makes a great handgun hunting tool in the barrel length you like.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i am so freakin indecisive. usually when i can't decide between 2 things, i go with both if possible. but funds are forcing me to decide this time around.
and my options are on opposite ends of a spectrum. go with something that matches my current revolver, or go with something totally different for variety. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Smith & Wesson 547 doesn't need 'moon clips' (half or full) and it's a very nice K-frame revolver.
They are not being made anymore and the price is around $700-750 if you can find one. But I must admit, it would be a fun gun to have.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
They are not being made anymore and the price is around $700-750 if you can find one. But I must admit, it would be a fun gun to have.
Fact, and a very nice pistol too. A friend of mine has one; he almost never takes it out and shoots it. I've tried to get him to sell it to me, but he won't--he will let me shoot it if I ask, though. :(

·
Registered
799 Posts
DA revolvers are some of the safest and most accurate weapons available and if you want a real shooter 38 sp/357 mag is the way to go. 38 special performs on par with 9mm and you have the option of shooting 357mag rounds which outperform everything IMO. I have always said that the best weapons for reliability and utility are a 357 DA revolver and a 12ga pump action shotgun.

The other thing about DA revolvers is that geat is that you can go with Rossi, S&W, Colt, Taurus, or whatever floats your boat and you have a quality reliable firearm you can use for hunting, sport shooting, and, home defence.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
sorry bud, can't link to asp unless you send me your appropriate cookies as well. and some milk.
ha good one.

The clips are indeed a PITA (the bread gets stuck in the cylinder :lol: ). There are a few 9mm wheelies out there. Ruger makes a 38/357 and includes an extra cylinder for 9mm.
I recommend 357/38 just for vesatility, as many others have said. Why not have something that can chamber two types of rounds?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts