So why are SA revolvers made for leftys?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Atomic_Ed, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

As a southpaw, I've been trying to figure out an more effective way to use a DA revolver. I particular, how to reload quickly. I've tried both the HKS speed loaders and stripper clips. The only handy way is to pass the revolver to my right hand, open the cylinder, go through the process, then pass it back to my left hand. It's just slow for me. And yea, I should learn to shoot it right handed, and I will someday, but I'm strongly left handed. I might suggest you righty tighties, give it run loading your DA from the other hand for a practice drill. :)

Now the SA revolver is a different story. With the loading gate on the right, it's a natural for a lefty. Punch out the spent brass and strip in some fresh rounds with my right hand and I'm good to go. It goes rather quickly and smoothly for a lefty.

So the question is, why isn't the loading gate for SA revolvers on the left side to accommodate the 85% of the population??

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  2. Because Sam Colt was left handed DUH....

Actually i have no idea, but maybe i can start an internet myth.

3. Maybe to avoid a patent?

4. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Maybe something to do with being meant for calvary use.... Reins are held in left hand while shooting, hold the reins and gun in left hand while using dominant right hand to perform the task of retrieving shells from the belt, and feeding them into the pistol, all while galloping like hell across the battlefield.....

5. wow that sounds exciting!

Now we just shoot from inside the vehicle, or jump out hit a button and insert a fresh mag.

6. osbornk

osbornk Hillbilly on a motorcycle Member

The loading gate is on the right for a very logical reason. The bullets are put in the gun one at a time. A right handed person would naturally handle the bullets with the right hand and they can more easily be loaded on the right side.

7. Rerun

Rerun Member

Charter Arms sells lefty revolvers.

Check them out!

:D

eldar

8. osbornk

osbornk Hillbilly on a motorcycle Member

Duplicate post

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  9. This is pretty freaking cool
    The pink one may find a home with my wife.

http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Southpaw_93820.asp

Charter led the way in developing the first truly left-handed revolver. The Southpaw is identical to the Undercover Lite, but completely reverse-engineered. The cylinder releases and opens to the right side for your lefty convenience.

This five-shot, .38 Special revolver is also available in a two-tone Pink Lady finish.

For more information on the anatomy of a Charter revolver, click here.

10. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

so at this point Bull is leading in this debate. :D

11. Fracman

Fracman Member

Get a schofield you can shoot it and load it with either hand

Attached Files:

12. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Maybe it's because pronenating the right hand to get to the right-side loading gate was easier than supinating it to get to a left-side loading gate?

13. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

I've eyeballed one of those from time to time. It's on my list, but pretty low.

14. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Bull's explanation has logic, plausibly and a certain western folklore ring to it. So it's got to be the right answer.:)

15. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

So it was designed by square dancers?:D

16. Rerun

Rerun Member

I have owned a Charter Arms Off Duty .38 Special for about a decade now and have shot some impressive groups out to 25 yards due to the wide front sight.

It is a sturdy revolver and feels good in my hand.

I am thinking of buying a .32 H&R Magnum revolver to add to the collection.

eldar

17. Think1st

Florida
    It probably was. You do pronate your hand when you promenade.:D

18. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

That is way too personal of a question. You'll never get the truth out of me......

19. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

My .357/.38 shoots very well.... Recoil isn't bad with .357, considering it's a small sized revolver ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1434736424.191453.jpg

20. Think1st

Florida
    *Fiddle music accompanying...* It's gonna be a hot tiiiime on the old toooown, tonight!