So...you can marry a dead person.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ajole, Dec 10, 2014.

1. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Well, you can have a Legal declaration of marriage made, anyway.:rolleyes:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865617346/Utah-Supreme-Court-reinstates-Ogden-womans-marriage-to-dead-man.html

SALT LAKE CITY — Janetta Gardiner lived with and cared for Jacob Kenneth Vanderwerff for three years before he died of cancer at age 78 in April 2010 — and legally married him a month later.

Vanderwerff's cousins challenged a 2nd District Court's granting of a declaration of unsolemnized marriage, eventually getting it thrown out.

But the Utah Supreme Court reinstated the marriage Tuesday, ruling that the relatives did not have legal standing to intervene in the matter.

Here's the part that I find interesting. I've been saying things like this could happen...

"Had the court said cousins have standing to intervene in marriage petitions, well, my goodness. That means if cousins have standing, so do parents, so do children," he said. "Suppose somebody doesn't like a same-sex couple getting married. You could have people coming out of the woodwork petitioning the court, arguing against this marriage."

Somehow, I don't see that as the same thing as arguing about marrying a dead person.:rolleyes:

2. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

Not too different from my first marriage.

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Should have said that in the first place. Not so surprising now.

4. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

Dead people can vote in Chicago and West Virginia too.

5. Back2School

Back2School Member

Isn't this essentially giving support to sealing by proxy? Is that a bad thing?

6. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Pretty sure I'm marrying Warren Buffet when he croaks....

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It's a bit different. This legal system usually says til death do us part, but now they are saying they have authority over things after that as well.

I'm sure they see it in the same terms as wills and probate...but I'm not sure it should be. They are recognizing a common law marriage, after the fact, essentially.

I've always said the plural marriage folk should get behind same sex marriage, I mean, if we change the definition to include same sex, why not more than one of the other sex? And now...why not dead people?

8. Bull

Fine...... I get your hint.... We can both marry Warren Buffett!.... Plenty to share, and I'm not greedy.

9. Branth

Branth Member

At first I was confused about how in the hell a dead guy can sign marriage papers, but then I actually read the article... It's kinda interesting.

The guy proposed before his death, gave her a ring, and had a private ceremony, but never filed the official paperwork. Apparently in Utah there's a law about a "non-solemnized marriage" which is kinda like a common law marriage - If certain conditions are met, you're considered automatically married. She basically filed a petition after his death to get that ceremony that happened before he was alive legally recognized as a marriage.

And before you ask, the guy's estate was already settled before the court case. She's not after money.

Now they're just bickering over whether or not the rest of the guy's family can contest whether or not they were married.

10. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Well as the courts have ruled that corporations are people and the Fed is a corporation I want to marry the Federal Reserve. That way I could buy all the guns and ammo I want.

11. Bamaboy

Bamaboy Member

As much money and time as I spend on my old truck I should be able to marry it, claim it on taxes and write off all its repairs as spousal health care....marry a dead person thats just gross but it is impressive how many dead people always vote the straight Democratc ticket!

12. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

I'll just settle for marrying Hugh Hefner after he croaks. Have to take care of them bunnies yanno...... ;) :p

13. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

14. EvilE424

I am sure that the bunnies will be appreciative of your gesture. Don't want them to get lonely [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last one is waiting for hef to die so that you can take over.[​IMG]

15. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

EXACTLY!!! :D:D:D:cool:

16. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Is Solemny even legal in Utah? ;)

Oh, it said it was "unsolemnized marriage"

[​IMG]

After all, in Utah, certain religious groups "baptize for the dead", so why not this?

[​IMG]

:D

17. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

Can't you see I lose more drummers that way? :eek:

18. EvilE424

I sadly had to look up the word prior to reading the rest of the post. Needless to say I was VERY VERY disappointed to learn that it was a ceremony and not a fun physical event

19. Bull

That was a L........ Not a D..... ;)

20. EvilE424

Lmao I was thinking consummate...not the s-d---