So You Think #9 is OK?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Think1st, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    There have been numerous disputes at about whether or not birdshot is good enough for home defense around here, but a recent shooting in England (where people love to talk about gun-free paradise and no violence) illustrates why it might be a good idea to go with something heavier in the ol' scattergun.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...life-of-man-shot-with-a-shotgun-10269799.html

A man pursued some young punks who had shut off the water to his block of flats, at which point one of them shot him with a double-barrel shotgun. His cellphone, though, saved his life. As you will see in the picture, much of the shot didn't even penetrate the plastic.

So, if you have any further doubts about the need for heavier shot, this might make you think twice before loading birdshot into your HD shotgun.

Attached Files:

2. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Plus if your state has anti-maiming laws you could get into some serious trouble whether or not you actually intended to kill specifically because bird shot is so incredibly unlikely to kill anyone, BUCKSHOT BUCKSHOT BUCKSHOT!

3. slade601

slade601 Member

I think the iPhone stood up better to the birdshot than being dropped from waist level!

4. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

They really should just sell them with pre-cracked screens lol.

5. Think1st

Florida

You'd think that they would use Gorilla Glass like the Droid phone manufacturers use, by now. How many more screens have to break from short drops?

6. slade601

slade601 Member

I feel a movement starting!

7. Rerun

Rerun Member

That one was with the barrel almost touching his chest.

Birdshot is a terrible choice for self defense. And a really great way for the shooter to earn a felony and go to jail for malicious wounding.

Plus, lose your home and all your money in the civil lawsuit that follows.

Use buckshot and be done with them.

eldar

8. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

What he said, plus judging by the pattern on that phone it was a fairly up close shot, had to be within twenty feet or less. Bird shot is extremely lethal when you use it with a boomstick or absolutely point blank, but you don't want to ever have to close distance on an intruder just to make sure he'll die...which is the point, dead people can't show up to court.

9. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

We have a rule against posting gore.
    If it adds anything meaningful to the discussion post a link to the online article.

10. Rerun

Rerun Member

o_O

TMI

;)

eldar

11. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

IPhone guts are not allowed?

12. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

So that would mean no pictures of gl cks,,,, that would constitute gore as far as I was concerned.

13. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    In compliance with the rules, the previously posted pictures of gunshot victims are being replaced with dramatic reenactments.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Rerun

Rerun Member

WoW!!!

That is some DOLL!!!

Admiring eldar

15. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I'd say more like 5 yards...

OH, THE Hu...manatee?

:confused: What did I just say? :D

16. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Don't ask me why...but the first thought that popped into my head was "EvilE"... :D

17. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I was saying it could not have been right against his chest, it would have been barrel sized. My dear old Dad had an ND in the shed, "tested" the Mossberg 500 I had just refinished and added a pistol grip full stock to. My son had reloaded it and left it that way. (Loaded). Dad violated some of the gun safety rules, and FORTUNATELY, did point it in a safe direction. Noble Sport mini-buck sure tears the hell out of a wood floor! :D The pattern was very tight at 5 feet, barely more than barrel sized. I will post pics if my ISP shapes up :(

Nope, still dead slow...

18. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I can't remember any article about shotgun self defense (that I have read anyway), that recommends birdshot.

19. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

This is a built in marketing feature. You drop your phone and break the glass, they collect another $200 from you to repair it..... :rofl:

20. Think1st

Florida
    No articles have said as much, but there have been plenty of people around here who have advocated for the use of birdshot because of it's lower likelihood of passing through drywall and harming people on the other side.