Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Guys,
After 6 years as a research scientist for the University of Wisconsin, I (with the encouragement of my boss and girlfriend) have decided to leave my current position and look for a university where I can teach and start my own research group. This is a very stressful time as I have officially given my notice of intent to my department, have been sending out applications, and do not know where I will end up (or know if I will even get any of the positions I applied for). Any thoughts, prayers, or general good vibrations regarding this change of careers would be greatly appreciated. It is both an exciting and nerve racking time...

cheers,
Kyu

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
GO FOR IT!!!!!!

Anything to get out of the University system will do you a WORLD of good (just don't look at me as an example...I should've stayed in the Univeristy system...)

If you mind me asking: What's the focus of the research?

G

·
Starting over is always kind of scary,,I've done it so many times it's like 2nd nature. Check out Fairbanks, people from the upper midwest do well up here....good luck

·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the support guys. I'm starting to have a bit of a "what have I done moment", but I have a very supportive woman by my side and my boss is working every connection he has. Things should work out well, it's just a nervous/exciting time until I have a new position.

ShooterZ: Done. Thanks! :)

Neo: I work on materials for photovoltaic devices (solar cells). My main focus is development of flexible, organic photovoltaic devices.

cheers,
Kyu

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I switched jobs a year ago. I left a good job at the State Transportation department to take a job at an electric co-op. I felt the twinge for the first few weeks but it's worked out 10 times better than I had hoped. Trust your gut on this one. We'll be praying for your family during this process.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Go for it Kyu, we got you covered on the prayer department. God will bless you brother, I just feel it.

·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey all,

Just a LONG overdue update.

I have accepted a position as Assistant Professor of Physics at the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse starting in Aug! This means I can start my own lab and research group. It is a dream come true!!!

Thanks to everyone for their prayers and thought! They mean a lot.

Cheers,
Kyu

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Good for you dude!!!!!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hey, congrats man!! And I'm glad to hear you'll be staying in Wisconsin too, though you may not be ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you're going to be in Wisconsin, you could do a lot worse than LaCrosse, though it has a reputation as "Twin Cities South." The bluffs give this area more visual appeal than almost any other area of the state.

I am trapped (Yes, trapped) in NE Wisconsin. If I could find a buyer for my place I would have abandoned the land of eternal winter by now.

I'm sure you are aware of the great work going on at the University of Arizona and at the University of Colorado, though there seems to be more post-doc short term opportunities there than anything permanent.

Good luck and stay warm. . .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.