Some of you purists will hate me. [LOTS OF PICS ADDED] DUB!

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Uraijit, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

The red dye recipe was borrowed from a friend, Scott M., but I modified them slightly to suit my needs, so here goes.

I know some of your purists will probably flame me for "ruining" the finish, but don't worry. The finish was destroyed in freight when they were exposed to salt-water. Anyway, they're my damn stocks, so shut the hell up already! ;)

Here's a before pic:

[​IMG]

First, "Citristrip, of Lore" was used to strip the lacquer off of the furniture. It can be purchased at Home Depot.

Then the furniture was soaked in bleach for 20 min, or so.

Once everything was stripped and bleached, 2-3 coats of black Rit Dye were applied.

Rit Dye is a fabric dye. It can be purchased in the laundry detergent section at Wal-Mart for about $1.50 a box (enough to do 20+ stocks).

Mix it at a ratio of 1 cup Rubbing Alcohol to 1 tsp Rit Dye. I did it in 1/4 cup batches for most colors. If you're only doing 1-2 sets of furniture, this should be plenty.

Anyway, after 2 coats of black dye are applied, dry it in the oven set on "Warm" for 20 min. or so.

Then use a medium-grit sandpaper to sand the wood back down until there's plenty of white showing. You want to leave the black in the wood in some of the places so you'll get a nice contrast.

Once you get it sanded, leaving some parts black, get all the dust off, and apply the primary color to the wood, drying in the oven on Warm in between coats. Once you get the desired depth of color, again sand the wood, this time lightly, with a at least 220 grit sandpaper. You don't want to take off much color at this point--just enough to allow a small bit of the wood to be dyed again, this time only slightly. Remove the dust, and do 1 light coat of color. Allow to dry for 24 hours before applying some sort of sealing product (lacquer, paste wax, polyurethane, etc). You can do anything from a matte, to gloss finish on the sealing coat. You can wet-sand the final coat with a very fine grit sandpaper, or use a very fine steel wool if desired.

Here are some crappy preliminary pics of our results, pre-sealing.

The blue furniture is 99% finished and ready for sealing.

[​IMG]

The green furniture is about 80% of the way completed with the staining process. The red gas tube cover is probably about 90% before sealing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It may be difficult to see, but it's actually kind of cool to leave any dents and bumps in the wood. This leaves these places a nice dark black when you block sand (since the sandpaper doesn't touch them) and gives the wood a really nice character. We worked some of the furniture over intentionally with small items such as wrenches, and a small auto-body hammer to create this effect, in the places we felt it "needed" it. Most of the furniture was pretty dinged up though, so not much of this was really necessary.

Thanks again to Scott for his red dye recipe!

For the red, use 4 parts "Scarlet" dye, to 1 part yellow dye.

For blue, just "Royal Blue" was used--no mix,

Green was Forrest Green, with the slightest hint of black dye added. It probably wasn't even enough to make a difference, so it's probably not necessary.

You can make just about any color of the rainbow with this stuff... hell, you could probably do a rainbow colored stock if you wanted...

2. Looks pretty sweet to me. I esp like the green. Diversity is what makes the world go round.

3. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Thanks, I like 'em all. I originally wanted to do green to match up with that OD-Green U.S. made pistol grip that a member of the forum gave me. I was planning on just selling it, but once I saw it, I decided to keep it.

I did a second set of green to put on the AK I'm going to sell.

The blue one is my wife's, I'm gonna keep the green, and do a red.

Now I just gotta decide what color to go with on the one I'm building for my dad.

The red is gonna look really sweet when it's all done. I'll post pics when they're all finished.

4. Purists?

They are freaking Romy G kits, they are SUPPOSED to be project guns!

Now I'm thinking on getting 2 more romy's just to do what you did with yours. I like the blue and want to see the red.

I would probably have my receiver painted blue before installing and then do blue on the wood.

Looks fun!!!

And there are no Romy purists, or there shouldn't be!

5. Please please post a good high quality picture of the blue stocks after they are sealed and shiny, I'm really anxious to see how they turn out!!

6. Do they shoot the way you like? Do they look the way you like? Did they turn out the way you like? If so then who gives a rats backside what anyone else thinks. If you spent your money to make your property the way you like then good for you.

I think they look pretty cool myself. I wish the pics were a little clearer to show detail but I can't complain, I don't own a camera that can do any better. ;)

7. elguapo

elguapo Guest

I need to find a kit: I just bought the AK rivet kit tool.

8. It looks like you are off to a good start. Keep us updated.

9. Nice man, I bet red would look cool too, and yellow, you could make a hornet stock...

10. Ridge

Ridge Member

Someone has been playing too much COD4 :)

[​IMG]

11. I've never been much for the 'purist' side of things. You own it, you do with it as you please. (Purists who want to preserve things 'as is' should be willing to use their own wallet to do so)

I actually think it looks cool; if you like it and intend to keep it nothing else matters. You can always modify the looks later if you need to in order to sell it.

8)

12. nice going Ijit.......like Larry says "git her done"!

13. haha cool man. Keep a couple of those things back to resale when they're worth a fortune in a few years. lmao

14. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Thanks for the kind words guys. The "purist" thing was kindof a joke, though I'm sure there are those who reckon an AK has to be brown or it ain't a real AK... Lots of folks didn't like my "Evil Black" AK, so I figure there will be a few who hate this as well...

Got a couple of coats on the furniture tonight, but they're still not completely the way I want them. I'll have to borrow a camera from my brother and get some pics. These pics were taken with a cell phone, so they're not so hot. My good camera broke, otherwise, I would have TONS of pics of the process, etc. Those who have known me for a while know that I take lots of pics, when I can.

[​IMG]

The red one is really beautiful. I can't wait to show them all off. I had to come to work, so I couldn't get any other pics. Should be finished with the rest of the colors tomorrow, and will take pics then.

15. Never been a fan of odd colored stocks (though 5+days of CoD on-line have softened me to red or blue tiger stripe) but I LOVE that green!!
    Makes me with I had a second one to do that to it's stock

16. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

One is all it takes. ;)

Oh, and that pic doesn't really do it justice. Can't wait to show this beauty off!

17. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

18. That looks really nice. I may do that myself. Thanks for the idea.

19. panoz77

panoz77 Member

I'd like to see some pics in better light, it almost gives the wood a laminate look, very nice.