Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Nice find, this old Navy man always likes vintage footage. 8)

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Its a shame the Navy dropped research. They seem to me like they had several advantages, in spite of I am sure limitations that needed to be worked out or around.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They have been doing some more R&D and testing on a new design... I a hoping to see something in the years to come. Just like the flying wing.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I remember seeing one of those when I was a kid in CA. Of course I was sure we'd even have large ships on hydrofoils within a few years. Instead they've disappeared. I guess the real needs of the navy are a little different than "Gee-whiz, that's cool!" But, that's too bad. I think a hydrofoil borne aircraft carrier would be very very cool.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
They have been doing some more R&D and testing on a new design... I a hoping to see something in the years to come. Just like the flying wing.
Are you referring to these Russian designs?:

It seems to be another technology which is going nowhere. It's really too bad, I'd like to see more of this cool stuff around. I guess the economics just don't make these things realistic. :cry:

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
While it's pretty cool to watch, most of the places I go boating it would run aground at low speed. Before it could go into useful production there would have to be some way reducing draft. And I bet it uses a LOT of fuel too!

No I was referring to this little boat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you see a lot of navy craft where you go boating? :lol: It is only a test bed to learn things from as you see in open water it would make a great gun platform. The whole idea being to make craft of a much larger size.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Do you see a lot of navy craft where you go boating? :lol: It is only a test bed to learn things from as you see in open water it would make a great gun platform. The whole idea being to make craft of a much larger size.
While I know what a technology demonstrator is--You miss my point. I don't see any naval craft on Lake Mead or Lake Pleasant (where the majority of my boating time is). But, I was thinking more of a hobby craft due to the demonstrator's size. And if something doesn't cross over to the civilian world it will have a limited life. Once the military moves on from a technology it's gone.

As for the Navy, they have their own needs which don't have anything to do with what I'd like. Go back to my post about seeing the hydrofoil as a young teen. I really thought these things would be all over the ocean because they seemed so futuristic and it would be cool. They never even built an experimental hydrofoil aircraft carrier--they just don't care for my opinion about what would be cutting edge and different. The only places you see hydrofoils today are in applications where the high cost is acceptable to gain extra speed--short range ferries are the only ones I can think of.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was just teasing you about where you boat. That craft that they are testing would not work very good as a fishing boat in the inland waters. Right now all the hydrofoils I see right now are pretty much sailboats. But if the navy can turn that small boat into a destroyer hydrofoil maybe we might see a cargo container ship as a hydrofoil. I think that would be pretty cool. Across the sea in three days or less.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts