Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With school already underway, I'm finding myself with more free time on campus between classes than I have at home. And with all my work needing to be typed, I'm thinking about buying a laptop instead of a new PC.

I'm looking at this one....
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...?EdpNo=4846708&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

It's right around the price I want to spend, the stuff that I know, seems decent on it. And the other stuff that I don't know has a lot of big numbers, so I assume it's good. Larger the number, the better....see my logic here? Best part, it has a video card, no more playing my video games in pixilated SNES mode. And HDMI, not sure what this is...but from what I've read. It will let me hook my laptop up to my TV so I can watch my snuff films on the big screen.

So...somebody talk out of buying this if it's a piece, or support me if it's a good one. I've never heard of the brand MSI before. Or if you can explain to me what all the other things are, like a LAN interface? That had a lot of numbers by it too....big numbers I might add.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
LAN interface is just how it connects to other computers or the internet. The internals look decent if all you want is something to write up paper and go online. I've never heard of that brand either so be careful I guess.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LAN interface is just how it connects to other computers or the internet. The internals look decent if all you want is something to write up paper and go online. I've never heard of that brand either so be careful I guess.
Yeah, do my work, watch bootleg movies between classes/lunch, play on my online video game. And get online to read the boards here.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Yeah, do my work, watch bootleg movies between classes/lunch, play on my online video game. And get online to read the boards here.
As long as the game isn't graphically intense you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as the game isn't graphically intense you should be good to go.
Nah, it plays on this POS I have now, integrated graphics....it's a very forgiving game.

Thanks Mason, I was waiting for you to chime in.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Don't know anything about the brand but the specs look OK for the price. Battery life wont be very good with anything intensive so make sure you will have access to a power source to recharge whenever possible, and with a max of 4GB RAM supported its probably 32bit Windows.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
lol I used to play WoW, don't anymore. I don't really play the MMORPG games much anymore.

BTW MSI is a good brand, good to deal with their support people also. I've returned one of their motherboards before and they sent me a replacement the next day. Out of the 20+ of their products I've bought of theirs only one went bad though, and it was on year 2 of the 3 year warranty. At $500 that's not a bad deal either.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Don't know anything about the brand but the specs look OK for the price. Battery life wont be very good with anything intensive so make sure you will have access to a power source to recharge whenever possible, and with a max of 4GB RAM supported its probably 32bit Windows.
It only comes with a 6 cell battery, he could get a 12 cell if he wants/needs more battery life.

EDIT: typed 5 instead of 6

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Yeah like the site says 4 gigs of ram and you will need a 64 bit OS, 3 is good if you don't want that.

·
Registered
258 Posts
A 64 bit system should start the RAM at 4GB, not end there.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
A 64 bit system should start the RAM at 4GB, not end there.
I know, I didn't say it wouldn't. 3 is the max you can have with a 32 bit system as it won't recognize anymore. I passed A+ cert, I think I know a little bit.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.