Something lost...something gained

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by neothespian, Dec 18, 2007.

1. neothespian

neothespian Member

I lost my job :(

BUT, I found my Gerber "Suspension" multi tool today! The thing is like $40 and nobody should be without their tool.

All in all....dunno what kind of week it's been. Headding down to Phoenix to try to get my old jobs back.

Hence why I've been pissy as of late. Sorry all.

2. Fenix

Fenix Guest

Well, best of luck to ya. Guess we're in the jobless boat together. Nice on the multitool btw.

3. elguapo

elguapo Guest

Forwards, Neo, always forwards!

4. Neo you're sort of like our project at this point! Keep fighting the fight man, we're with ya.

5. Neo, keep the ole chin up, shoulders back and eyes straight ahead. You'll get it together, just don't give up my friend.

6. neothespian

neothespian Member

Thanks guys. We're going to Phoenix tomorow to see if I can get my old job back and to check a few apartments out. Got a few other leads on jobs at some entertainment production companies and even a museum, so we'll see what happens.

Will keep updated.

7. Good luck, Neo!
    There's a lot more work in Phoenix than Flag. If I got what you do right, you work in theater/performance. Don't forget that there's a lot of work just a few hours away up here. And, it's really not any more expensive here than in Phx.

Again, best of luck.

8. urotu

urotu Member

Sorry to hear about the Flagstaff gig man, you were very excited about that one as I remember. Oh well, it all happens for a reason.

Good luck in PHX man, hope you find something you like. Don't sweat it man, you'll be good.

9. neothespian

neothespian Member

Should probably explain what I do. It seems to confuse enough people who aren't in the entertainment industry :p

I am an IATSE union Stage Manager, and certified as a Lighting Designer and Union Set Foreman. In layman's terms: You have the Director who's job is to take all the artists and get them to make a unified show, you have the Producer(s) who give money to the show in hopes that the film/theatrical production makes more than they pay in, and then you have the Technical Directors who "Build" the show's components such as sets, lights, sound, costumes and makeup.

The Stage Manager's (Production Manager when it comes to film) job is to get them all to work TOGETHER. He translates math and technical specs to the Director who probably can't even change his tire without OnStar's help, explains to the producer why you actually need to pay actors, and why no matter what you cannot have see-thru blouses on ALL of the cast just because the costumer got a great idea from the last production.

The stage manager is responsible to see the set meets building codes, that copyrights are filed and the RIAA and FCC are kept at bay, and is the stepdad from hell to actors (Everything from assisting in filing restraining orders against crazy fans to bailing actors out of jail to make call). He also hires the stagecrew and is the supervisor over the entire crew for running a show, even overriding the Technical Director (and the Director since stagehands aren't under the domain of the artistic discresion unless they are a risk to the talent). They also make sure that the Technical department sticks to the artistic ideal that the Director and Producer agree upon. If they use cherry wood instead of oak for the floorboards, it's the Stage Manager's job to change it since the script and the Director insisted on something specific. Most of the time that also means the Stage Manager serves as the assistant foreman on a set build in order to keep the Technical Director on the same page as the rest of the production crew.

Also the Stage Manager "runs" the show. He sits in the booth wired to every stagehand and calls EVERY and EACH light change, sound cue, furniture shift and costume change. This also includes the Stage Manager being the person who programs ALL functions into the lightboard and finalizes all the sound/video cues (think an automated factory system with about 300 to 1000 functions per cycle and each one having a different timing based on voice cues, physical cues and manual cues depending on how fast an actor walks across stage to his mark that night). He is the person in a production that also handles the legal requirements of a show. If there is a question of copyright infringement, assualt, injury or financial inaccuracy the stage manager represents the cast and crew, but NOT the producers (they have their own people for that).

Did I mention that they're also the first person that gets stuck on stage when an actor is either fired or is injured/incapable of performing?

And can you believe I chose this career willingly?

10. Sounds to me like you need to take the museum job and take a break for a while ;)