Something wierd after cleaning 995

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Krippp, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Krippp

Krippp Well-Known Member

just disassembled and cleaned the wifes 995 last week, took it to the range yesterday and suffered 6 light primer strikes with ftf's during a run through a 100 rnd box of wwb. never had a glitch with this gun until now, what appears to be the thing i did wrong. fired great for the first 4 mags and then had a problem with the bolt hanging up after locking it with the handle. then the ftf's started...HELP please

2. masfonos

masfonos Member

Ohio
    I know they changed the FP spring at some point. How old is the gun? Maybe try calling the factory or posting in the "Ask HP" forum with the S/N of the gun to find the date of manufacture and see if it's before or after the spring switch.

3. Krippp

Krippp Well-Known Member

bought it NIB last november

4. masfonos

masfonos Member

Ohio
    I think they made the change around last spring or summer. It could have sat around at the store since before they switched the springs. Or maybe you just got a bum spring. HP will probably ship you a new spring if you call them...stick that in there and see if it solves the problem.

5. Krippp

Krippp Well-Known Member

took it apart and found the problem....go figure, a bent firing pin

time for the call to beemiller....all in all though, not to bad for right at 1000 rnds.

[​IMG]

6. When you run a rod down the barrel with the bolt locked back, the firing pin is sticking out and it is possible to hit it with the cleaning rod and bend it slightly

7. Krippp

Krippp Well-Known Member

didn't clean the barrel until the carbine was already apart, didn't want to run the risk of hitting the pin with the brush

8. Cruiser

Cruiser Guest

If it that soft, has anyone trying to straighted it? Hey, it can't be any harder then straightening a bent nail, and we have all done that!

9. mattk

mattk Guest

i bent my firing pin while dissasembling the 995 for cleaning. it was easy to bend stright again. i still ordered a new one though. i wasnt sure if bending it had weakened it. 250 rounds and it is still working fine.

10. I also had the same problem. I just called the factory and asked for a new one. Strangely enough, the new firing pin was of a different design. I called them and asked if they sent me the right component, and they said it was an upgrade. No problems so far.