Something wrong here

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by greg_r, Jul 20, 2014.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

After only a few weeks I am finding myself choosing to carry the CF380 over my other "more prestigious" carry gun.

Friend and I decided to stop at the range. When I unholstered he asked why are you carrying that? I dunno. Where's your Smith? In the safe. Why? I dunno.

We each put a box down range and he commented that the Hi Point seemed to run pretty good. Pretty accurate too. We shot out to 25 yards and I was able to stay minute of zombie.:)

Don't know why I like this so much, but I do. It will never replace my TCP which goes everywhere with me, but I'm liking it for my 2nd place carry. I am using an old generic nylon holster but am thinking of trying out an Alien Gear iwb for this one.

2. Nothing wrong with that...you should always carry what you feel comfortable with, regardless of what the masses carry or so.

3. RobbK

RobbK Member

Shoot what you like I always say.

4. Kronos

Kronos Oppulent Disparity Member

^This. Another good reason, which i'm sure you are aware, is if you should need to defend with it, it will be taken as evidence as opposed to the pricier sidearm.

5. What smith did you put in the safe?

I like my CF as well. But its WAY to heavy for my pants to stay up

6. greg_r

M&P Shield. The CF rides ok as long as I wear a wide belt.

7. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I will let you young guy's in on a secret? SUSPENDERS!!!

Now if all my friends in the HOOD would just listen to me?

8. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Buy a real gun belt.

I can't see carrying a 20lb .380 when there is more options out there with more capacity, and punch.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    20 lbs, Ha ha.:rolleyes:

I have a K holster, makes carrying the C9 and CF380 just as easy as carrying my Springfield XD SC. The fact that the Springer cost over twice what the HPs cost is a bigger factor than the weight.

Even my P3AT cost about double the HP.

And in any case...he likes the gun, and it seems to work for him. That's the number one reason to make a decision, IMHO

10. TNTRAILERTRASH

I carry a SCCY CPX2 9mm M-F. That needs to change. 10+1+another 10rd mag. Great pocket carry in my cargo pants with a Blackhawk pocket holster. Terrible reset on the trigger for rapid fire. It is accurate. Follow up shots can be a problem as this thing jumps and twists. I fired a .40 Glock 27 yesterday. 3.7" barrel. It stayed on point really well.

Who gives a crap about the cost of the gun? Is it the best for the situations you may face?

Someone has made a better trigger set up for the SCCY. It will be the saving grace for it, or the toss it in the safe and sell off someday.

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yeah, you're right. I should definitely be driving my full sized truck with a 30 foot RV down the mountain to get groceries, I mean, if I decide to buy plywood or a sofa, that won't fit in my car. If the road washes out, I can sleep in the RV. Yeah, it will cost me twice as much in fuel costs, has no AC, and is hard to park, but so what?

I mean, screw the cost, it would be the best for the situations I might encounter, right?:rolleyes:

I hope you see how silly that argument is.

Not to mention, he already has another higher priced option, he just doesn't like it as much.

12. TNTRAILERTRASH

How is my argument silly?

Your comparison is ridiculous. Why would you be afraid of having an expensive gun taken after a DGU situation if it saved your life against multiple attackers?

There is better options out there.

13. My wife used to open carry her CF380, initially it was her range gun. She had been carrying my Star Super A before the CF380. Now she carries one of my Glock 22s open, so the CF is back to a range gun. There is nothing wrong with the 380 round and nothing wrong with carrying a CF380. The CF is very capable of handling the hotter loads.

I have used the CF for a yard gun, but stopped since I don't like searching for spent brass. I usually carry a revolver for a yard gun, only because of saving the brass for reloading. I have been thinking about getting a 22LR semi auto for a yard gun for some time. Just haven't done it yet, if HP made one I would buy it in a instant. Probably going to end up getting a phoenix. And yea I would carry a 22lr so I have no problem depending on a 380.

14. A high point does the same thing as a expensive gun does in the same caliber, it throws a chunk of lead when the trigger is pulled. Having a gun taken for evidence is one of the reasons I stopped carrying my BP revolvers. Within a couple weeks of storage without cleaning they would be junk, let alone a couple months.

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Better HOW? See, that is my point. You mentioned cost and possible situations specifically, so I addressed them both. The point is you cannot be prepared for all possible situations if you limit yourself to one choice, without becoming ridiculous. There is ALWAYS a compromise. I mean, what if it comes down to hand to hand? The HP will be far more effective across the head than some lightweight plastic gun.:p. And I never mentioned having your gun taken.

So, really, better HOW?
    More capacity? Stats say most times, 1-3 shots stops attacks. So that doesn't matter.

Lighter? Who cares? He has no issue carrying his HP, even though he HAS a lighter gun, he prefers it, so that's moot.

More reliable? His HP is reliable, my .380 has never failed at all. If a gun is 100% reliable, it's impossible to be more reliable.

So...better how?:confused:

Exactly, another reason the HP is "better" to carry, for some people.

16. greg_r

It is just my choice. I like it, it is dependable, it is accurate. Put it on the scales next to a Ruger P85. Which one weighs more? I have confidence in the 380. I also have other options. They are in the safe, my CF380 is with me.

17. atomiccat2002

atomiccat2002 Member

I carry a ruger sr-22 using Aquila interceptor ammo, with a +5 magazine for 15 rounds plus another 10 rounds in pocket or car or a bersa thunder 45 depending on what i'm wearing

The phoenix arms pistol is pretty good for the price, It was ok on accuracy, but It's not recommend to use high or hyper velocity ammo with it, the factory says to only use standard velocity ammo and they tend to be ammo picky, they jammed on about everything but CCI ammo, but when they do run they run great, with a light single action trigger, I could unload 10 rounds in like a second

And I also hate the safety on the thing you have to turn the safety on to eject the magazine i ended up shaving the piece down that prevents loading or unloading of the magazine while the safety is off.

But since its just a yard gun and not ccw, then It might be a good buy :)

18. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

"Better" is very subjective. That is like asking which truck is better, a chevy, a ford or a dodge. ;)

19. greg_r

Still carrying the CF380. Still using the same bulldog nylon holster. Tried a Folbus, but when the LGS, stuck a C9 in one to show me the fit, that's exactly what it did, got stuck!. still wanting to try the Alien Gear, might have to just breakdown and order one on line.

20. 0311

0311 Member

I would like to trust my CF. Have had it to the range quite a bit. Don't think I've ever been able to run a whole mag through it without something going wrong.
    Been trying to narrow the cause down. So far I think it may be an issue with one of the mags. The rounds look like they point nose down in the mag. I've tried smacking them on my hand to line them up.
    I'll keep taking it till it gets right, or I get p'o'd enough to send it to MOM.