Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not quite ready for a full range report with this yet, but been doing some experiments...

Hi-Point sent me a whole new rear sight ass'y & ghost ring when i complained that mine was shooting low (apparently a design flaw?) so I thought I should put it to use... been chewing on how :eat: & finally had an idea last week. (the milk jug in the background is a range report in the waiting, more on that soon)

that strange hump above my rear dots is a self-styled target aquisition idea... not really 3-dot, but not a pure ghost - it's just something to look through in a hurry & find my front sight...

the pics are fuzzy, but that works in my favor, you get a better idea what my sight picture looks like when I'm focused on lining-up my yella front sight with the target. I tried it at the range last week, but was hard to see the wire (literally a bent piece of wire popped into a couple holes I drilled in the "extra" rear sight ass'y) in low light, so I painted it red.

testing some shots in the back yard yesterday with my sons (glue-stick bullets - woo hoo!) the red really helped clarify the picture. If i had it to do again I'd broaden the holes just a bit to let a wee bit more of the rear sight top be seen in a hurry, would help sudden elevation acquisition i think.

I DON'T like it as well as the real ghost ring so far, but it has the potential to shoot more accurately than my previous. KEEP YA POSTED...

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice idea, how sturdy is it?
The wire itself is sturdy, & needs to be since the case I keep it in is tight, but the red paint wants to wear off the top. A nice piece of RED plastic would work better, i might try that if this works out ok. BUT still, i like the actual ghost ring better, if only the math was right for the design.

Doesn't that block a lot of your sight picture? It just seems like most of your target would be covered at a longer range.
You are probably right, depending on the size of the target - aim small miss small i suppose - but i'm not big on making little groups of holes, just wanna hit center-mass if called to do so. I have this pretty-much just for home defense & a bit of hunting, if I need to reach-out beyond 20-30yds when i'm hunting then i may use a diff firearm or strategy, & if a personal defense target is beyond that range i might also have escape options that would be preferrable. It worked well at the range for that yardage & hopefully this summer I can try some further reach & let ya know how it holds.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
[quote
You are probably right, depending on the size of the target - aim small miss small i suppose - but i'm not big on making little groups of holes, just wanna hit center-mass if called to do so. I have this pretty-much just for home defense & a bit of hunting, if I need to reach-out beyond 20-30yds when i'm hunting then i may use a diff firearm or strategy, & if a personal defense target is beyond that range i might also have escape options that would be preferrable. It worked well at the range for that yardage & hopefully this summer I can try some further reach & let ya know how it holds.

[/quote]

Yeah it does look like it would work great for quick target acquisition. Kinda like a small red dot but you wont neeed bateries.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try an find some red "weed eater line" that might work.
Heeeeeeeey! THAT's thinkin' outside the box, NICE idea!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.