Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok is it me or does anyone else have this situation. My son and i went clay pigeon shooting last week and he was shooting his 12 GA mossberg 500 and i was throwing. He hit every clay i through. I only hit a few he through. question is is it easier for kids to learn to shoot. It isn't a problem you understand after awhile i just let him shoot heck that was more fun watching him and the smile on his face.BTW he is 14.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well im old i guess, but not a bad shot with a pistol just the shotgun go figure. maybe cause im expecting the recoil. who cares it sure is fun. Might be all the baseball he has been playing since he was 4 dont think its the video games because we dont have any.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
^ Wow a 14 y/o without video games? You've got an endangered species on your hands there!

I shoot clays 3-4 times a month and usually on every trip I see one younger kid that shoots lights out, I think it has something to do with them naturally being quick learners cause they don't have years of ingrained bad habits that most adults have to overcome.

You could always be sneaky and open up your choke when he's not looking ;)

What shot are you using, shouldn't be a big punch behind clay loads? Might want to consider shooting something lighter, maybe 9 shot.

·
Village Amadan
593 Posts
What about the throws? Were yours all pretty much in the same neighborhood (i.e. direction, trajectory, etc.) and his all over the place? That's what happened with my son and I until he learned to throw and I started to change direction and trajectory on him. Evened things up real quick!

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
^Good point. When we do them I like to start turned around with my gun down, then have to turn and pull up on it. It's more like grouse hunting that way.

Try something like that if he is shooting 100%, it can only make him better.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
I like to use slugs when I shoot clay...
LOL, to be honest that would not surprise me at all. :tongue2:

My pops made me start out with squirrel shot...he was a tough teacher, but now I'm thankful for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.