Sons Disappointment

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Moosestoy, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Moosestoy

Moosestoy Member

I got my son the 995TS 9mm for Christmas this year. Decided today was a good day to head to the range and give it a test drive. Much to my sons dismay, we never got off a shot. The slide wouldnt go back far enough to engage the firing pin or chamber a round. We brought it home and stripped it down only to find the the guide on on the right side of the slide is impacting the lower half shorting the slide stroke by about 1/2 an inch. I was able to get the slide to work again with a little finessing of the slide, but as soon as the rifle is reassembled, its back to the same problem. Seems as though the tolerancing is off or the slide needs about 1-1.5mm shaved off the guide. Anyone ever heard of this happening or know of an easy fix??

Thanks

2. dirtroadrider

dirtroadrider War Eagle Member

Do you have a photo so we might see where the interference is that your talking about?

3. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

The easiest fix would be a call to HP and tell them your problems. From what I hear, they'll send you a return label, you pay for shipping to them, they ship it back fixed up and usually give you an extra magazine for your troubles. Might not hurt to include a note with your gun also telling them what's wrong with the gun and what you've done to try and fix it. That should help the repairman diagnose the problem and speed up the process.

4. Moosestoy

Moosestoy Member

Dont have a picture so i borrowed an image from the net. The red arrows show the spots that are impacting.

Attached Files:

5. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

What side did you insert the charging handle into? Left or right?

6. Moosestoy

Moosestoy Member

We didnt have a choice but to insert it on the left side. Although theres a spot for it on the right the ejector port slot partially covers the threaded hole. I would have to open up the ejector port, on the top, about 1/4 of an inch for there to be adequate clearance with no chance of binding. I was a little disappointed when i saw that, but it wasnt a show stopper.

7. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

1) Was the gun new in box, when you bought it?
    2) Did dis-assemble it before going to the range?
    3) If you are not comfortable re-assembling the gun, I would wait until you can get a hold of MoM. Remember, MoM has been closed for a week or so. Monday will be a very busy day to try to call in, just saying?

8. Moosestoy

Moosestoy Member

I bought it new for him from a local dealer. We didnt do a disassembly until we noticed the problem and i wanted to investigate it, just in case i was a idiot and forgot to remove some packing item from the factory. I did call the dealer and he wants me to bring it to him on Friday. I will see how that goes before i make an attempt to call MoM.

Everyone, dont get me wrong on this rifle since i sound so negative right now. I really like the look of it and the caliber is perfect for him. This is why i bought it to begin with, and i really wanted this to be a great experience for us especially reading all the good things that have been said about it. At the same time, im a dad and theres nothing like seeing your kid let down by the Xmas gift he wanted the most.

Thanks everyone!!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  9. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Sorry about the disappointment. My daughter got her first rifle, a .22 for her Bday (on Christmas) and I took her shooting the day after. I can only imagine how disappointing it would have been if it hadn't worked.

Hope everything works out soon.

10. ItBeMe

ItBeMe Member

Oh wow I found my long lost Dad. I would like the same carbine but in a 40 cal. :D

11. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Try keeping the charging bolt a bit loose. I have 2 carbines that if I tighten the bolt it'll lock them up.

12. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

Was there a spent casing in the box? They should have fired it before it left the factory and it looks like it would not have fired with what you describe.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

13. My 995ts that I bought about a month ago did not have a spent case with it either. I didn't even notice until you mentioned it. Does HP test fire the carbine?

My slide broke monday when I racked the slide.

14. bluharley

bluharley Member

From what someone told me, that spent casing is required by federal law, or maybe I didn't hear right.

15. Moosestoy

Moosestoy Member

i didnt see anything inside. The only thing i can figure is the shroud puts pressure down and maybe slightly left which perpetuates the binding. If the back pin is left out i can rack the slide all the way back, but noticed every time i did the shroud would rise in the back about a 1/2 inch or so; if that matters at all.

16. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Spent casing is for some states. The dealer has to give it to the state. They keep an eye on the imprint on the firing pin/striker. Maybe MD is one?

17. I have been researching the "spent casing" and it looks like it is only included with handguns.

18. TommyGun

TommyGun Member

Neither my C9 or 45 had a casing in the box. They are both new in '14.

19. My 4595TS came with a spent casing and a zeroed in target ?? The dealer will make this right BUT Mom has a great lifetime warranty anywho !!

20. Hot-Shot

Hot-Shot Member

A spent casing came with all my handguns but not any of the rifles had one