Sorry, but it just isn't trustworthy.

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Win94ae, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Win94ae

Win94ae Member

Friends and family came over today and some brought their pistols to do some shooting.
    Earlier in the day I was mentioning how the safety lever on my JHP 45acp seemed to be moving more freely than when I first bought it. Sometimes I would draw it from the holster, and the safety would already be off. :eek:

When we went shooting, I took my Hi-Point, and during my first mag, I had 3 malfunctions due to the safety positioning. My thumb rests below the safety lever during firing, and it seems that the recoil makes my thumb move the safety up.

It is bad enough the safety disengages during holstering/drawing, but to top that off, I'd have to consciously hold the safety down during firing. :/

I've read two posts about fixing the issue. My pistol isn't as stated in one thread, I have a plastic post that is part of the plastic receiver, not a screw. The other "fix" really wasn't one.

The more I examine it, the more I don't like this design. I can smack the mag as if I am inserting one, and knock the safety off. :(

I'll have to find another inexpensive defensive handgun; I simply can't trust this one.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

So why not fly it back to the mothership for a once over? Still cheaper than buying another firearm.

3. Win94ae

Win94ae Member

Because I need to trust my firearm not to shoot me in the leg.

4. The safety on my HP works fine, in fact a little stiff. Send it back to MOM, they will fix it, free of charge. Excuse me but I don't see the dilema. If the tie rod goes out on a chevy, instead of bad mouthing it, most people would get if fixed, and will pay to have it repaired. You get your HP repaired for nada, if you would just send it back.

5. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Not to be contentious, but keep your booger hook off the trigger, and it can't shoot you in the leg, safety or no....

6. Rerun

Rerun Member

Um...

Keep your booger hook off the trigger until it is time to shoot.

eldar

7. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Booger hook lmfao!

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Win94, it's really not that hard to fix the safety.
    Call HP, get the parts and do it yourself.
    As far as your thumb moving the safety when you shoot, your thumb is in the wrong place.
    That's obvious.

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

My kids learned the 4 Rules of Safe Gun Handling at an early age. The one they always remember is: Keep your booger-hook offa da bang-switch.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

That was it!!! I couldn't remember the second half of that statement...... I've seen that here several times, and I love it! Credit given to you Kirk!

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's not a bad gun, that's a bad grip, and a bad part on a gun. I have a Charter Arms AR7 that shoots on trigger reset, should I say they are unreliable, or a bad design?

Get it fixed. If you still don't like it, sell it, buy something else.

All that said, I trust my HPs, they are very reliable. But I have other guns I prefer for various jobs.

12. I've never had a problem with my JHP's safety disengaging. In fact it was a bit stiff and a tad hard to engage and disengage when new till the slide wore in. Follow the other recommendations and send the pistol back for repair or replacement and give it another chance before jumping to conclusions.

13. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    No such animal. Anyone with a screw added it them self.

14. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    IMO people who give up on something over a simple thing were just looking for an excuse in the first place.

15. BTW I'll give you 25 bucks for your non trustworthy Hi Point.

16. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Come on now, don't be talon-esque...

I'll give you $50.

17. SWAGA

I never use the safety on my JHP anyway, keep it with a loaded mag and an empty chamber.

18. Are you a lefty?

19. SWAGA

Sometimes, I shoot pistol ambidextrous and rifle lefty.
    From a holster draw -rack - aim I'm faster lefty then right.
    With the JHP at least.

20. Win94ae

Win94ae Member

Like I said, the safety will be where it decides to be at any given instance.

I don't see anything worn or broken, it seems to not be designed to lock into place as all the other firearms I own do.

I understand the fanboy attitude, this is a hi-point site and I now do not trust my hi-point; I get it. But I see no comments discussing the problem, more on the lines of that it doesn't matter if it is defective, just don't pull the trigger.

The only reasoning I see as to why my safety doesn't work properly, is that the grips may not press against the lever enough. That really doesn't instill confidence in the workmanship.

I was looking for a fix, I was looking at how it is supposed to function how it is to set itself into the proper position, and all I've seemed to find is a design flaw... and caviler attitudes toward safety.

*ignores site*