Sorry if it's been asked a thousand times....

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by CCSir, Mar 2, 2013.

1. CCSir

CCSir Member

Ohio
    Is it ok to dry fire HP's without a snap cap in it?

2. blazinworm

blazinworm Member Member

yes it is ok

edit: mas that was annoying. i just put "yes" first but its said message is too short so i add "yes it is" and that was still too short so i added "yes it is ok" and it finally worked haha

3. CCSir

CCSir Member

Ohio

Thanks.............:)

4. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Center fire firearms can be dry fired. Rim fire firearms are a dry fire no no.

5. I usually use a pencil down the barrel to check for function and it shows where the firing pin hits the eraser.

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Not always. CZ52 pistols have an issue with dry fire due to brittle firing pins, and almost every modern rim fire can be dry fired with no problem. There are exceptions, but that's true both ways.

7. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Just going on what I have read about rim fire firearms. Have not found a Mfg yet that does not warn against dry firing. I have 3 rim fires all different brands and they all say the same thing.

8. dodge

dodge Hi Point Fanatic Member

9. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Use them all the time in my .22 1911. You load one in the chamber. You don't cram them in your mag.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I have 31 rimfires, and Ruger, Heritage, CZ, Mossberg, Marlin, and a few others all are ok with dry fire, and some even include it in the manual as part of the function check.

Remington 597, though...not a word from the company, unless you go to their FAQ on the website, where they do not recommend it. But they have a LRHO.

11. cicpup

Vermont
    From my Ruger Mark II manuals reassembly instructions:

"5. With the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, push the safety to the “off” (F)
    position and pull the trigger to decock the pistol. The pistol can be dry fired as
    long as the firing pin stop is in place."

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yep, the Ruger and Mossberg manuals both say that.

13. hostile1

hostile1 Member

Not to hi-jack the thread but a second follow up question. How do you dry fire a hi point? I have a c9 and a 4095ts and without a round in the chamber neither one "cock".

14. cicpup

Vermont
    C-9 should cock just fine. Have to remove the empty mag to get the slide to go forward. Then reinsert the mag to dry fire it. Or cock it without a mag and insert one to dry fire. I'll let you figure out your third option on your own less I be accused of being a child killer or something.

15. hostile1

hostile1 Member

Thanks! Never put the mag back in. Just worked the action.

16. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Not a bad idea to get some snap caps for function checks and practice failure drills.
    Worth the money.

17. hostile1

hostile1 Member

Its on my list for the gun show this weekend:)

18. Nhiker

Nhiker Member

I laughed but I thought about this at first as well. :D

19. GrOuNd_ZeRo

GrOuNd_ZeRo Gun Fanatic Member

Damn, Nhiker, those grips on your C9 look FINE!

Phoenix Arms HP-22A's can be dry-fired safely too since they have the firing pin safety, S&W does not recommend dry-firing their M&P 22 rifles though....