Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the 1990's you could get a Magnum Research Mountain Eagle .22 pistol for $200 with a 15 or 20 round magazine. And it was made almost entirely of that light weight space-age material: plastic. There were two versions: pistol and target, the target version had target sights (duh) and a longer barrel.

The gun in these two pics below is missing the front sight, which these days, is made of unobtainium.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Recreation
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

The pistols were reportedly very accurate, fun to shoot, and weighing in at 21 ounces were lightweight for their size.

The bolt looks almost "Ruger-esque", but in reality the two pistols look very different.

Font Engineering Auto part Parallel Drawing

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

The Achilles heel of the pistol is the magazine -which save for the spring- is entirely made of plastic. Feed lip life was reported to be limited to between 1,000 - 2,000 rounds. Replacement magazines are extremely difficult to find, and when you do find them, be prepared to part with a lot of cash.

Door Wood Sports equipment Gas Art
Brown Hand Finger Gesture Wood

After Magnum Research stopped making the gun, Ram-Line Syn-Tech produced them as the Exactor, and Exactor Target. Rumor has it that Ram-Line was making all the plastic parts for Magnum Research anyway, and if that was true, then it would be a logical move for Ram-Line.

·
Super Moderator
28,618 Posts
Sweet. Love it.

Do you own one of these? If so, would you care to expand this into an Article?

If I had a ton of money, I'd buy one of the Whitney Wolverine's and the Olly reboot of it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do. It's NIB with hang tags, all the paperwork, etc.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of info available on these on the interwebz; usually it's just questions about where to find replacement magazines.

I'd like to get my mitts on an original Whitney Wolverine as well. But that's never gonna happen.

Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Material property
Font Material property Technology Bicycle part Auto part

·
Super Moderator
28,618 Posts
Sweet. Even just a bit more expounding on what you've already written along with the pics here that are yours and I can hammer that into an article.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Rabidwookie

·
Registered
432 Posts
An Olympic Wolverine was always on my short list, my fault for waiting til Olympic went out of business.
Closest to a 'space pistol' in my collection is my 80's High Standard and my Kel Tec PMR-30. I'm still amazed no one has rolled out a high capacity double stack .22lr pistol yet. I think the full size rimfires like the Beretta 92 copies pack around 14 rounds, but if KT could reverse engineer their 30 round PMR mags for .22lr they'd have a winner.

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
An Olympic Wolverine was always on my short list, my fault for waiting til Olympic went out of business.
Closest to a 'space pistol' in my collection is my 80's High Standard and my Kel Tec PMR-30. I'm still amazed no one has rolled out a high capacity double stack .22lr pistol yet. I think the full size rimfires like the Beretta 92 copies pack around 14 rounds, but if KT could reverse engineer their 30 round PMR mags for .22lr they'd have a winner.
There are large cap single stack out there. Not too many double stack revolver type cartridges around that I know of. Could be why the PMR has different reviews like it does.

·
Premium Member
21,479 Posts
if KT could reverse engineer their 30 round PMR mags for .22lr they'd have a winner.
Probably be more dependable once they work out the bugs. The .22 magnum due to it's dimensions has always been a problem child. Case in point, the AMT auto mag.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
...if KT could reverse engineer their 30 round PMR mags for .22lr they'd have a winner.
Yes, and if they'd manufacturer enough to meet demand. Wanted a PMR-30 in the worst way for years till I finally got tired of waiting. Couldn't find one unless you were willing to pony up $600 on GB. Now I can get one but and maybe will sometime. Or maybe not. Kel-Tec just kinda wore me out.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
Motor vehicle Yellow Automotive exterior Bumper Font
Yes, and if they'd manufacturer enough to meet demand. Wanted a PMR-30 in the worst way for years till I finally got tired of waiting. Couldn't find one unless you were willing to pony up $600 on GB. Now I can get one but and maybe will sometime. Or maybe not. Kel-Tec just kinda wore me out.
This is how one vendor had them priced yesterday.

·
Vladof
124 Posts
Ugh this topic is bringing back bad memories. I hated my PMR-30, brilliant to shoot if it didn’t fail to feed/eject all the damn time. No manner of different mags and mag slapping every few rounds while loading ever fixed the problem. I’m glad I sold it.

I suspect if they would of just done single stack mags it would of probably of helped the situation. But I digress.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
In the 1990's you could get a Magnum Research Mountain Eagle .22 pistol for $200 with a 15 or 20 round magazine. And it was made almost entirely of that light weight space-age material: plastic. There were two versions: pistol and target, the target version had target sights (duh) and a longer barrel.

The gun in these two pics below is missing the front sight, which these days, is made of unobtainium.

View attachment 47519 View attachment 47521

The pistols were reportedly very accurate, fun to shoot, and weighing in at 21 ounces were lightweight for their size.

The bolt looks almost "Ruger-esque", but in reality the two pistols look very different.

View attachment 47527

View attachment 47525

The Achilles heel of the pistol is the magazine -which save for the spring- is entirely made of plastic. Feed lip life was reported to be limited to between 1,000 - 2,000 rounds. Replacement magazines are extremely difficult to find, and when you do find them, be prepared to part with a lot of cash.

View attachment 47531 View attachment 47533

After Magnum Research stopped making the gun, Ram-Line Syn-Tech produced them as the Exactor, and Exactor Target. Rumor has it that Ram-Line was making all the plastic parts for Magnum Research anyway, and if that was true, then it would be a logical move for Ram-Line.
Held one of these today!!!

My cousin in NC has one, of course the magazine broke long ago and he can't find one now but not sure if he's actually search the internet for one. Space-age for sure.

·
Premium Member
8,667 Posts

View attachment 47519 View attachment 47521

View attachment 47527

View attachment 47525

View attachment 47531 View attachment 47533

I inherited one of these along with several other .22 firearms last year - haven't really looked it.
I'll dig it up tomorrow.

eldar

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,477 Posts
I inherited one of these along with several other .22 firearms last year - haven't really looked it.
I'll dig it up tomorrow.

eldar
COOL! It's tomorrow, Re-peat 😎

·
Premium Member
8,667 Posts
Ayup.

It's in a filing cabinet in my storage shed.
I own seven filing cabinets.

I believe I left it in one of the upper three drawers.

eldar

·
Premium Member
8,667 Posts
Still looking.
I placed three cabinets at the back for some reason...

eldar

·
Premium Member
8,667 Posts
Some idjit (me) stacked two sleeper sofas in front of the filing cabinets.
I got one down today but, the backs of the other one blocks the drawers enough to keep them from being pulled out.

Monday afternoon at the latest.

eldar

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I remember the Mountain Eagle. Ahead of its time.

I've always thought that 22lr tracers would make a "laser blaster" like effect. It would really make a space gun more space gun ish
Yeah I thought they might be fun, until I looked at the price. OUCH, and that was before the current panic price gouge. Hate to see what they're going for now.

·
Premium Member
8,667 Posts
No idea where it went...

I've searched all seven filing cabinets - no pistol...

I have a couple of other places to dig up.

eldar

1 - 20 of 41 Posts