Spam Filter?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Help' started by Geezer, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Geezer

Geezer Junior Member Member

Does this site have any kind of spam filter? As I type this there are spam topics started by different users in this section of the forum. I enjoy this site but I'm getting uneasy feelings about security. It seems like this is happening every day. Is anything be done about this?

2. bluharley

bluharley Member

I've wondered about that too.

3. The problem is tapatalk it is in it's nature insecure. You can't remove tapatalk because half or more of the members use it.

4. HarveyP_KY

HarveyP_KY Member

Why not add a CAPTCHA to the registration procedure or require an email confirmation for registration?
    It ain't rocket science.

5. That would be to easy. The problem again is tapatalk, once registered you no longer have to prove you are human.

6. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

You mean I am no longer human?

7. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyenRCJ_4Ww[/ame]

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Captcha isn't that secure either.

As to your security...just don't click on the links, you'll be fine.

9. cktvt

cktvt Member

10. Now that you mention it I've been wondering. :p

11. Geezer

Geezer Junior Member Member

I am a member on several other forums that allow tapatalk and there is not a spam problem there. This is a good site with a wealth of good information. My concern is that it can be breached by outside spammers and it puts all of us at risk. I just hope that the site owner steps up and makes the place more secure.

12. Shooter

Shooter Administrator

Thanks for the comments. I'll check with the techs about getting this issue worked on.

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Keep your AV up to date, don't click on obvious spam links, and report spam. There's no particular danger to a spam account posting spam if you don't click on links. It's not like they're embedding malware, at least not here. No guarantees about what's at the page they link to (so don't click on the links).

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. Good advice Kirk. I don't have a smart phone so can only relay what other forum owners have post about spam so maybe it's tapatalk or maybe not.

15. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

Thanks shooter.

16. One fix that is a bit server intensive is to firewall or htaccess block the main spam countries. China, India, the old USSR areas and some South American countries are not likely to be owners/ users of High Points.

17. geekandwife

geekandwife Good ole Boy Member

Many other forums have IP blocks in place that prevent entire countries from accessing the sight. Or mod teams that respond quicker to the posts. As someone who has ran multiple large forums, spammers are just a matter of fact online. You either have ease of use or you restrict it, making it harder for legitimate users and posting.

But spammers posting has nothing to do with site security. That is like saying someone that has weeds in their yard has a house that is easy to break into. The two are not directly related.

18. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    It used to be that I evidently would get up and check the forums earler then the Mods. Seemed like there would be a bunch of spam links every morning.

I just realized that hasn't been happening for a fairly long time now.

Whatever you're doing is working great.

If it is still being done manually, I hope someone is getting enough sleep.

Thanks.

19. Shooter

Shooter Administrator

Thank you. We are working on keeping it as spam free as possible.
    The mods do a great job.