Spare mag puch/holster

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by tallbump, Nov 17, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Ok, I really want to carry the spare mag for my Shield.

Looking for a leather, OWB holster/pouch, with a snap over strap.

I can find a lot of Kydex IWB and nylon OWB, but not really any leather OWB

Anyone know where I can find one.

Prefer black but would consider brown.

I don't like the looks of the nylon but I figure OWB with a snap over cover would only look like a pocket knife sheath and not draw any attention

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Most of mine are knife pouches. Some of them are leather.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015

3. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

You can get the kydex one that holds it in your pocket looks like your just carrying a pocket knife. I use them a lot real nice.

4. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

Hey Tall,, sometimes it helps to think outside the box,, this is basically what I use to carry 2,, 8rd .45 mags.. Doesn't have a snap closure but a magnetic
    old cell phone holder..

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      32.2 KB
      Views:
  5. tallbump

Might end up doing that
    I have seen those but really want leather

Front pockets are filled with wallet and keys and I don't wear cargos except in summer

I have actually done that and posted here about it. But I use one of those for my phone already and not sure how two would look?

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Go to a local swap meet or flea market. They always have several booths selling cheap, chinese made, pocket knives with leather belt pouches. Take an empty mag and just try it in any of the pouches that look close. But the thing and throw the knife away or in a drawer. Last time I bought one this way, the vendor at the flea market had a small basket full of knife pouches, sans knife, that he was selling. I sifted them until I found one that worked and bought it for a buck or two.

One company I worked for had me on call 24/7. I had to carry a mobile which they provided, which meant that I carried both mine and theirs. I always thought it looked weird but I don't recall anyone ever noticing.

Have you considered a fanny pack? I hear that with tan shorts, black socks pulled up to the knee, sandals, and a Glock fanboi T-Shirt, they're quite fashionable.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. tallbump

That's a good idea about looking for a cheap knife in a decent case.

Honestly, you're right, most people probably wouldn't notice the two phone cases, I think it's more I would feel weird than anything.

I can rock the socks with black socks with Crocs and a fanny pack, but I draw the line at the Glock shirt LOL

8. moona11

You could get a purse. :p

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

On a related note, approximately 100% of these cheap knife belt pouches are chromium tanned, not veggie tanned. This could have implications for carrying non-stainless steel items because chrome tanned leather will always have residue of the chemical tanning process which can promote rust on non-stainless steel. My experience is that this isn't usually a big problem but, in any case, is very easily addressed. I liberally spray the inside of the pouch, and any other surface of the pouch which might touch the steel, with WD40. Let it set for a day or two and repeat the process. I do this maybe 2-3 times before use and then once every couple of days of use. Usually up to about 5-6 times total. The WD40 will soak into the the leather and coat the surface which will protect your mag. Eventually the WD40, like any other oil (including expensive gun oils), will oxidize and form a solid(ish) barrier.

You can use natural veggie oils to do the same thing but I think they make the leather look darker and more mottled. My preference is corn oil because it seems to oxidize faster than most other veggie oils. But it also seems to be a bit more viscus so I think it's harder to wipe into the inside. Another potential option is Flax Seed Oil (or just "Flax Oil"). Used for centuries in food and in woodworking applications, this oil is the also known "Linseed Oil" and is the basis for the original linoleum flooring product specifically because it can and does oxidize into a hard slightly flexible plastic-like gunk. If you choose to try Flax/Linseed, don't use the woodworking oil and definitely avoid "boiled linseed oil" which contains additives to make it harden faster. Instead, use food grade "Flax Seed Oil" which is often available in the health food or supplements aisle. Beware of exothermic reactions in Flax/Linseed Oil which can actually cause it catch fire as it hardens.

But, honestly, just use WD40. It's cheap, available, safe, easy, and works. Spray it on the inside of the cheap leather pouch. :)

Veggie tanned leather, of course, doesn't have this issue. Not sure about Brain Tanning, but I'd guess it's also not an issue.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. tallbump

That's very good to know, thanks Kirk

I found these, but not sure if either would work.

They are only $10, but I really don't have $10 to waste on something that won't work

New SAFARILAND 76-83 Single Magazine Leather Carrier/Case/Pouch For GLOCK 17,22

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SAFARILAND-76-83-Single-Magazine-Leather-Carrier-Case-Pouch-For-GLOCK-17-22-/281766664588?hash=item419a9a198c:g:4dUAAOSwd0BVwqU5

SAFARILAND 76 (23 09) Single Magazine Carrier/Case/Pouch For S&W 59, BER-92

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAFARILAND-76-23-09-Single-Magazine-Carrier-Case-Pouch-For-S-W-59-BER-92/271953211480?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3De33b042aacb4425d91b9cb2df484dc73%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D281766664588

11. tallbump

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That was my question too. It says it fits Glock double stacks, but it looks like a single stack pouch.

13. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

Mrs. Tall may even let you pick the style and color,, like E did,, for the one
    Moonz carries.... :D:rofl:

14. moona11

Its a fanny pack you prick :p

15. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1447900776.123488.jpg ...................

16. My cm9 mag is so small I just throw it in my right pocket lol the 45 I use a remora mag holder that came with my holster and honestly if the 45 mag was smaller I would throw that in my pocket too :D

17. moona11

Attached Files:

18. tallbump

Attached Files: