Squib Squib BOOM!!!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Rachgier, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I understand tunnel vision happens, especially during a competition, but there were SO many warning signs that this guy was just oblivious too. Nothing like a little self-inflicted stupid....

According to the shooter, this KB cost him an extractor, upper receiver, bolt catch, and a magazine.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhgyJMhQFbA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhgyJMhQFbA[/ame]

2. bluharley

bluharley Member

That's funny, parts flying and he sticks in another mag and tried to chamber a round! "Oh, those parts don't mean nothing!"

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Muh gun jus' blew up...I thank I'll slap another mag in, and try shootin' sum moar...

Wow.:rolleyes:

4. 45Man

45Man Member

Doesn't sound like a squib. More like an OOB discharge, which is what the 2 FTF's indicate to me. Usually, FTF's in an AR are a blown out primer from the previous round. They generally just jam up the action so the bolt won't lock up. Had one on the AA, couldn't even eject the unfired round with the charging handle. There's a procedure to release it demonstrated by the RSO at the time.

The shooter's error was not stopping to see what caused the 2 FTF's in a row.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  5. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

That's stupid right there

6. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I would have thought that the big cloud of black smoke rising from the receiver would have clued him into the idea that something was wrong. I've had weapons fire ever so slightly out of battery, before, and the unusual flash immediately grabbed my attention and made me take a closer look at the weapon before continuing.

It's just a good thing that he wasn't hurt. Hopefully, the repairs won't be too expensive.

7. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I get the impression the guy really doesn't have a clue how firearms work.

8. Think1st

Florida
    Well, given the fact that he was using way too much scope on that rifle for that particular event, and the fact that he wasn't doing much remediation beyond just reinserting the magazine and cycling the action, I think that you are right. I didn't see him look inside the action even once.

I'm sure that he picked up some valuable lessons at that match.

9. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I had a round that didn't fire yesterday. Waited a bit, ejected it and laid it on the bench. Good primer hit and nothing. I looked everything over before putting the mag back in. Still breaking it in, only 200 rounds out of it so far.

10. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Listen to it again in the van. You can hear a rapid double tap but one is definitely not as loud. His video description even says he had a squib.

11. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I've never been to a competition but I'm curious why a RSO did not stop him after the second fail to fire or at the very least after his gun blew up and he tries to insert another mag.

12. Think1st

Florida
    That's a good question. When I was at a USPSA match, one day, one of the shooters was shooting his string when one of the rounds sounded wrong. He had the RSO and even a couple of other shooters hollering at him to stop.

He cleared the weapon and ran a rod down the barrel, but there was fortunately no blockage. The gun ran fine for the rest of the stage, but an ounce of caution is worth a pound of first-aid and repair bills.

13. Seems like someone would have stopped him long before he tried to load another magazine, at least I hope someone wold stop me if I was running down that same path. Also Maybe I am not the most gun savvy guy our there but when my firearm fails to fire more than once I generally stop and try to figure what is wrong rather than just rack the slide and pull the trigger some more.

14. lsi1

lsi1 Member

that competition mindset is all about the time anything longer than a quick tap rack is too much TIME off your final score.

When he's in the van you can hear people talking bout the safety officer dqing him for breaking the 180 so i am assuming that the safety officer maybe isn't that bad.

15. SWAGA

What is breaking the 180?

16. Think1st

Florida
    There's a 180-degree arc that has to be observed during matches. It goes from the left to the right from where the shooter faces downrange. If he aims outside of that arc, he endangers others and gets DQ'ed.

17. Kiln

Kiln Member

I'll admit that I was in the same boat as Swaga, I had no idea what the term meant but I sort of assumed it had to do with muzzle discipline.

18. SWAGA

I watched the video again and it sounds like the RSO is distracted as he's dinging somebody else for violating the 180 rule and not squib guy....