Sr22, my most recent obsession, can't go wrong!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by rippinryno, Apr 10, 2015.

1. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

I picked this up about a year ago on sale with a rebate at the lgs. $278 out the door. These things are awesome, my gf can't get enough shooting with it and she's dead accurate, makes me look like a beginner. We have several steel targets setup and she can hit the little 3" spinners from 15 yards about 50% of the time, a very hard thing to do if you ask me.

Anyway here's a pic of my favorite plinker.

[​IMG]

2. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I have the Walther P-22, which is quite similar to that. Just out of curiosity, how is the takedown lever holding up? I was doing some research to compare it to my own pistol, and some reviewers spoke of it getting loose over time.

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I got one for my son. He's underaged so it's technically mine and sits in my safe. It's a very comfortable shooter. Fun to use. I like the swappable grip.

Squirrel season doesn't start in Ohio until September. :(

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

A little secret about the giant squirrel. It got electrocuted at our power hook up down the lane. I was string trimming around the pole and saw this guy laying there fully intact. So i laid the ruger by him with a box of hollow points so I could pretend i shot it. I didn't haha. If i really wanted to play it off i should've put a hole in him so it actually looked legitimate.

The takedown lever is holding up so far, i believe they did some updating on this part with the later models. I've also heard that they get loose and will fall out of place. I can say mine is very tight and has been from the factory, i can't flip it out without using a small flathead. I've probably cleaned this gun half a dozen times, i have close to 10,000 rounds through it and it still functions very well.

5. Think1st

Florida
    That's good to hear. I would like to get another .22 pistol to go with my P-22, and I've been considering either the SR22 or the Neos. I'm glad that Ruger has done a better job of addressing that particular design quirk than they have with Kirk's R51. (Ducking)

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I have both the SR22 and the NEOS. They really are different guns. You could, if you wanted to, conceal carry the SR22. You'd have to be really dedicated to CC the NEOS. But I find it easier to be accurate with the NEOS. It's got a little bit better ergos for aiming and has a longer barrel and longer sight radius. I think that the NEOS makes a better small game hunter and a better range plinker. The SR22, though a stand up range plinker, makes a better gun to train new shooters on who are interested in SD or learning for a gun because the SR22's features and design more closely match that of ceterfire CC guns. It is also a decent choice for a person who is very recoil adverse but wants a Compact (not "pocket") sized CC gun. It's (very roughly) comparable in size to a Kel Tec P11 and others in that class.

Remington R51. :)

But you're right that Ruger has had more than its fair share of problems with new guns. As has been noted, they had problems with the SR22. They also had some pretty significant problems with the LCP. Gen 1 guns are a crapshoot and it's usually not a good idea to get a Gen 1 anything as your first and only carry/SD gun. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

hahaha

[​IMG]

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. Think1st

Florida
    I definitely like the centerfire-like features of the SR22, but I wouldn't use it for CC. Although a .22 is lethal, some of the round's isms, in the area of consistent reliability just wouldn't give me much confidence. With that in mind, it would be a plinker for me. The 3.5" barrel for the Walther has been on back order from Midway forever, and if I can't get one next year, the SR22 might just be the other alternative. The Walther has a barrel stabilizer that screws onto the muzzle of the 5" barrel, and I don't like having something on there that uses two sizes of tiny Allen wrenches to remove and replace every time I clean it.

Then again, maybe an entirely different kind of pistol like the Neos might be the answer. I do like its shootability and don't necessarily have to have a small .22. I will be chewing on this until I finally can pull the trigger, so to speak.

9. I have close to 2000 rounds down my SR22 without and issues with the take down lever.

10. Think1st

Florida
    It's sounding better and better.

11. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    I bought a SR22 within the first two weeks of it being announced. It still has the original takedown lever although there is a tiny pice of plastic on one edge of it that came out.

I've run only just over 3600 rounds thru it. I did have to send it back to the factory for an issue.

When I bought it I ran 300 rounds thru it a day or two later. It worked perfect and I had no issues.

A week or two later someone posted a picture of the inside of their SR22. I got mine out and stripped it down to see if I could see the same issue with mine.

Whoa, mine looked different. Mine did not have the ejector at all. Again, I fired 300 rounds already and had no problems with the empty casings not kicking out.

I looked at the exploded view, parts list and my firearm. To put the ejector in, a screw had to be backed out about 5 turns and the part slipped in place and tighten the screw.

I called Ruger and tried to get the part. I explained how I could do the work. Nope. It had to make a trip back to the mothership. They gave me a label, etc and fixed the unit. Quick turnaround.

In my opinion, it's a pretty good design when the gun works fine without all the parts......

It's a great pistol. I really like mine. When I take newbies to the range, it always comes along and they shoot it first.

12. Think1st

Florida
    MN_Doggie, a good .22 is the perfect way to teach noobies how to shoot a handgun. Starting people out on centerfire models results in too high of a risk of causing flinches to develop, something that will put a serious damper on any forward progress.

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's not uncommon for a blowback .22LR to not have an ejector or extractor. The Beretta 21 "Bobcat" and the Taurus PT22 are two examples which function fine without the ejector/extractor.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN

Yup. If they don't do well with the SR22 or they just can't get the safety issues correct, they don't get to fire the bigger stuff.

Quite often, even when firing a bigger caliber, I give them only one round in the mag on their first shot. I don't want that second round to get fired by their surprise at the recoil. I've seen that happen on youtube too much.

15. Django

Django Member

I picked up a SR22 to teach my kids . It has 2 grips which is great. I also liked the extra safeties it has for teaching beginners. Its a great little pistol and mine has had zero issues.I only wish it was the threaded barrel version.

16. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I like the SR22. My dad, who is up in years and weakened by sickness carries one for SD. It is a perfect fit for him. My only gripe? They put the safety on backwards!

17. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

I've had a SR22 for a couple years and have put thousands of rounds through it. Only problem I've had was the barrel came loose once. Tightened the bolt back up and has been trouble free ever since. I shoot it a lot during the winter because I don't have to worry about chasing brass through the snow.