Statute of Limitations?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, Nov 2, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Why the heck does Minnesota have a Statute of Limitations on sexual assault, particularly that of a minor?!?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...me-searched-for-wetterling-evidence/?page=all

"FBI agent Thornton said that as part of their review of the Wetterling case, investigators used new forensic technology to analyze DNA on clothing worn by a young boy who was kidnapped and sexually assaulted in the same county about nine months before Wetterling’s abduction. The DNA was a match to Heinrich, Thornton said. That and other evidence led authorities to search Heinrich’s home July 28.

Heinrich was not charged in that sexual assault because the statute of limitations expired, Luger said. Court documents show he was arrested in that case back in 1990, but was released without charges."​

<boggle>

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I get statute of limitations for minor, non violent offenses.... But besides that, it's ridiculous.....

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    ...it ain't like the kid is "over it" after 7 years... :mad:

4. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Stupid law. Lots of states have statue of limitations on crimes.

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I know. I'm opposed to almost all statute of limitations laws, but ones on sexual assault are, imo, particularly egregious.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. rmuniz9336

rmuniz9336 Member

Statute of limitations on a sexual assault of a minor! Try Forever.

I've more use for a mad dog killer than I do someone who would assault a child like that.

7. histed

histed Supporting Member

Heinous is the word that came to my mind. No predator should ever be able to relax. Victims can't.

8. Minnesota's a hardline blue state and has been since Nixon. Look at our current governor and you have all the answers you need.

9. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Yup The metro corridor is solidly liberal and the rest of us get stuck with stupid laws!

10. Branth

Branth Member

I think the idea is that it's impossible to have reliable physical evidence after so much time. Too much possibility of a "he said/she said" turning into a miscarriage of justice.

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

If that is the reasoning, then it's way outdated. Science has moved on since then and we've also gotten better understanding of the fallibility of witnesses from the get-go. :)

In any case, Statute of Limitations for this class of crimes needs to be rescinded.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Governor mumbles the alcoholic stoner... I swear the dude is drunk/stoned every time he speaks

13. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

[​IMG]