Steel Case Ammo Reloading

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by Robert Block, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Robert Block

Robert Block Member

Sure be nice to get straight answers from people who do reload steel cases without all the snarky crap. Have a great evening everyone.

undeRGRound likes this.
  2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Well despite not getting a lesson in the ductility and malleability of soft steel cases, you got your answers.

It's doable. It's not ideal. Use extra lube. Go slow.

Robert Block likes this.

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    The snarky crap is just a bonus.

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

There’s plenty of steel case Berdan ammo out there, hence the reference.

5. Rachgier

There's technically plenty of brass case berdan primer ammo out there too. Your reference is irrelevant.

6. SWAGA

So now you know how to convert berdan primered brass to boxer. Now about the snarkiness ........

7. Rachgier

What? You show us a you tube video so now we need to teach you how to be snarky? I thought that was in your liberal education packet right behind the lesson on how to meme your way out of any argument.

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
  9. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

If ya need Berdan primers, I got a full case of them I will sell. Quit reloading my Yugo Brass case 7.62 ammo. Just stop by this way.

10. SWAGA

Well my linked videos were more relevant then your anal sex remark.
    Rach needs them as he’s got plenty of boxer steel that he can convert back again.
    @OldOutlaw i don’t reload I’m just paid to be here to fuck with y’all and foul up every thread.

Rerun likes this.
  11. Rachgier

Question: Can you reload steel case ammo?

The right answer: Yes. Use lube and go slow so it doesn't get stuck and tear up your dies.

My answer: Same as above, butt with an anal sex reference.

Your answer: Convert your berdan primed ammo to boxer!

I don't think you know what the word relevant means...

12. SWAGA

I think we’ve found Kirk’s quarterstaff.

undeRGRound likes this.
  13. Rachgier

You sat on it again, didn't you? I wondered why you were spinning.

undeRGRound, OldOutlaw and SWAGA like this.
  14. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    No, that is the CMG Approved "Moderation Control Device"
    :rotfl:

OldOutlaw likes this.
  15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

1. I'm now working through the quarterstaff material by Colonel Thomas H. Monstery, a forgotten U.S. martial arts master from the mid-19th Century. If the weather holds, I'll do a vid on his material. If it doesn't I'll switch to studying the cutlass material of another forgotten master, William Tuohy. I probably won't do video of that.
    2. Rach is 100% right that your contribution is irrelevant to the question posed by the OP. I kinda found it bizarre that a guy who doesn't reload is answering a question about reloading steel cases with a video I actually DO reload but haven't personally tried reloading steel cases, so I didn't say anything. If no one had chimed in, I would have posted what I've read from other sources (which is exactly what everyone else has said) because at least I have a reloader's perspective on it.
    3. The problem right now isn't getting brass. It's actually NEVER been the problem. Most reloaders and any brass-scrounger has buckets of the stuff, often in calibers they don't relaod for. I know I do, just to have stuff in case I ever get that caliber, to sell if I wanted, or to give to friends in the right circumstances. I've got a couple hundred .40S&W for exactly that reason.
    4. What is hard to get right now is actually primers, and to a lesser extent bullets and powder. But primers seems to be least available. Last time I was at Olde English Outfitters, they had a full shelf of powder (3 actually). While the didn't have the specific powder I wanted, they did have at least 2 others which would substitute. They had some bullets in stock or I could buy online and just wait for about a month for delivery. But primers are nowhere to be found and the shipping for them darn near doubles the already inflated price.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Rerun likes this.
  16. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

I'll come out and say it...I don't know fuck about reloading, so all you fucks that do better get it right just in case I decide to start. Don't wanna blow up the ole doobie now do ya?!?!?! :rotfl::twocents:

undeRGRound likes this.
  17. Norman Copeland

Norman Copeland Member

Wait you do realize you are on the Hi Point forum and you didn't expect snarly answers...lol

18. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

I'd be careful about the aluminum cases. The heads can and WILL blow out on you. They are not sturdy enough for repeated reloading (once is too much). The steel can be done, berdan depriming tool but WHY? There's tons of empties at the local ranges. Brass is safer to reload. I get it, Red Dawn Scenario...otherwise, don't. Get your ammo from the dead.

19. welderman

welderman Member

This thought has crossed my mind. But for now I have plenty of mine, I could use a bit more 6.5 CM, but otherwise I'm good. I keep finding sales on my forums right after someone has spoken for the 6.5 CM. So my luck is running as normal. :headbang:

20. TankCDR

TankCDR Member

Do not, Do Not, DO NOT EVER reload aluminum cases. It just isn't worth risking destroying your rifle and receiving severe personal injury to save a little money. The Army tested aluminum ammunition and rejected it because of the much greater risk of case failure on a FIRST firing.

missiledefender and shepherd321 like this.