Steel Case Ammo Reloading

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by Robert Block, Nov 21, 2020.

1. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Sure....but the army rejected every other caliber they tried that ALL would have been better than the .30 they had, and then went to .223/5.56.

And now they’re going to plastic cases?

So tell me again why I should listen to the Army?

Quavodus, welderman, moona11 and 3 others like this.
  2. histed

histed Supporting Member

The original question was "Can this be done?" Answer - Yes, it CAN be done. SHOULD it be done is another question to which there are as many opinions as there are member. I have done both for my own curiosity. You do what you feel is the right and safe thing to do.

3. TankCDR

TankCDR Member

ajole, obviously it's up to you. Yes, the Army isn't perfect and yes they sometimes are too conservative, as I well remember from my own career. All I'm saying is that organizations with far more R&D money and resources than we have, have tried it and found it too unsafe to issue to the troops. (BTW- I believe the polymer case ammo you mentioned has a steel case head.) You can certainly do what you please with your own firearms and take what risks you wish with your own body. But I've seen enough "kabooms" over the years to risk my guns and my body to save a few bucks.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Oh...I'm not arguing your point. Just the appeal to authority to rationalize it.:p
    I was in '86-'90, then a few months more in '91. We sent trucks to Graf all the time to work with Arty and Armor. More BS before 9 AM than most people see all day.:cheers:

5. TankCDR

TankCDR Member

Sorry - that wasn't meant as an "appeal to authority" argument, just a statement that there has been a lot of R&D done on aluminum cases. The idea is appealing- aluminum is inexpensive, easy to work with and lighter than steel or brass. It just doesn't work well with anything much higher pressure than 9mm Luger, and even that can be problematic in straight blowback firearms. And aluminum burns easier than steel or brass, so once fired aluminum cases can have hidden, internal weak spots. And I was an M60A1/A3 tanker myself, so I know what you mean about more BS before 9AM... :D

ajole likes this.
  6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I definitely wouldn't want to mess with aluminum rifle cases. I've reloaded a few .45 ACP, and they worked fine, but the 9 mm just didn't feel like it was worth the trouble. If I were really desperate, I might try it. But I agree with you, that may be the max in pressure, so I wouldn't mess with 40.

7. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I blew out a 45acp case that jammed. Set the bullet back. 4595TS

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    A setback bullet will blow out ANY metallic case.

moona11 likes this.
  9. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

Just saying that it can be done, not best practice.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2020
  10. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Thats not helpful for his argument

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    No...but it's the truth.

undeRGRound and moona11 like this.
  12. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY