Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any issues with shooting steel cased ammo in a revolver? I need some 38 special ammo and found some steel cased at a fair price. My revolver is a Taurus 856 Defender:

Revolver Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel

Only steel cased ammo I've shot in a pistol has been some Wolf 45ACP out of my Ruger P90DC, worked well but I do notice a ding or 2 at the ejection port. The dings could have already been there, I don't remember.

Being the Taurus don't eject, I figure there should not be an issue.

Manual doesn't say not to, unless I missed it.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,771 Posts
Go for it. (y)

1. It's just a Taurus, no offense, it's a fine looking pistol, but nothing hard to replace. Nor expensive.
Besides, Dad ran aluminum case a lot in his old collection of S&W. No problems there.

2. AR15s typically have no issues with steel case, I've seen at least 2 extensive studies and showing no appreciable differences. Anderson Mfg. and Lucky Gunner tests. GTG!

Reactions: Dubar

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go for it. (y)

1. It's just a Taurus, no offense, it's a fine looking pistol, but nothing hard to replace. Nor expensive.
Besides, Dad ran aluminum case a lot in his old collection of S&W. No problems there.

2. AR15s typically have no issues with steel case, I've seen at least 2 extensive studies and showing no appreciable differences. Anderson Mfg. and Lucky Gunner tests. GTG!
Oh yeah, I've run steel cased thru both my Ruger 556 and PSA M4 just fine. My SIL refuses to use steel-cased ammo in anything, SMH (shake my head).

·
Registered
788 Posts
I don't buy a lot of steel cased ammo simply because the range I favor does not allow steel cased ammo. If I find a good buy on steel cased ammo I'll buy it but I then go to a different range where it is OK to shoot. I don't know for sure but I think some ranges don't allow steel ammo only because they have to sort it out when recycling the brass.

·
Premium Member
22,082 Posts
I don't buy a lot of steel cased ammo simply because the range I favor does not allow steel cased ammo. If I find a good buy on steel cased ammo I'll buy it but I then go to a different range where it is OK to shoot. I don't know for sure but I think some ranges don't allow steel ammo only because they have to sort it out when recycling the brass.
Projectile does damage to the back stops on some ranges (?) I have steel case that has brass, and copper projectiles. Not copper washed steel.

Steel jacketed can spark and set off the unburned powder on the floor. Saw that on a video once.

·
Premium Member
22,082 Posts
At least one of my ranges makes that statement.
M855 is a no-no! Range in Key Largo (Kiffney's) had a video of a spark lighting the powder off. Big fireball.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,771 Posts
Doobie, I'm wondering where u got a good deal on steel case 38spc cuz I'd love to get some more revolver feed myself 😎

I'd shoot it in any of my high end revolvers, NP. 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
36,700 Posts
I LOVE steel in the semi guns...no brass patrol is a good thing.

But in a revolver, I'm perfectly happy with brass, since I reload.

But at the prices....yeah, I'd be perfectly happy running steel. All the little complaints about steel in a semi gun are moot in the revolver.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've never shot any steel in a revolver but, shot lots in autos. Shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Steel cased ammo is fine.

Many years ago, most of the steel cased stuff you would see would be bulk military surplus rounds that were loaded years before that. It tended to have corrosive propellant and primers and could cause problems. A gun designed for issuing to troops would have things like a chrome lined barrel and chamber, along with other features to help the other parts resist corrosion, and deal with the environment and conditions they would be expected to be in during typical use. For something that doesn't have these features, if you didn't clean it before letting it sit a while you could have some problems, especially since the steel case will not expand and seal the breach end as well as a brass one, but I suppose this really doesn't matter with a revolver. These days anything steel cased you buy off the shelf should be fine.

As far as the ban on steel cases in most indoor gun ranges, it's usually because the magnet test that they do to detect a steel core bullet doesn't work. The steel case will attract the magnet whether or not there is a steel penetrator in the bullet itself, so it's easier to just say you can't use it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The only steel cased I've shot in pistol, is Tula, Red Army, and Monarch. They are not corrosive. Pretty basic stuff though. But, a lot of the rifle surplus ammo is corrosive. Some of it is older stuff, that was stored away years ago. I shoot it in my Mosins and clean afterwards.

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Doobie, I'm wondering where u got a good deal on steel case 38spc cuz I'd love to get some more revolver feed myself 😎

I'd shoot it in any of my high end revolvers, NP. 🤷‍♂️
Mole, when I say a good deal I mean the lowest price I could find. Here's what I found:

Tulammo .38 Special 130 GR. FMJ Steel Cased 50/box | AE ARMORY LLC

They got some of the lowest prices on the internet and shipping is low too. I got some 38spc and some 32acp (brass) on the way.

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The only steel cased I've shot in pistol, is Tula, Red Army, and Monarch. They are not corrosive. Pretty basic stuff though. But, a lot of the rifle surplus ammo is corrosive. Some of it is older stuff, that was stored away years ago. I shoot it in my Mosins and clean afterwards.
I've got some corrosive 7.62x25 Tok coming in tomorrow I hope! It may be at least as old as my TT33, maybe older!!!

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,771 Posts
Mole, when I say a good deal I mean the lowest price I could find. Here's what I found:

Tulammo .38 Special 130 GR. FMJ Steel Cased 50/box | AE ARMORY LLC

They got some of the lowest prices on the internet and shipping is low too. I got some 38spc and some 32acp (brass) on the way.
Lowest I've seen in well over a year. Much appreciated
I'm with Dawg,
THANX, DOOBIE!! (y) (y) (y)

Wonky bullet weight, (130gr) but at least it's heavier than the standard 125gr. TULA, should be fine for range work, practice, etc until you shoot enough of them to gain confidence to carry... (y)

Reactions: Dubar

·
Registered
451 Posts
Steel works good enough to reload sometimes. I've reloaded some Tula steel a couple times with no problems. It may harden at some point, where it can't be resized though. I'll see I guess. But, so far no problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts