steyer M95 value?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Zone' started by cicpup, Feb 1, 2015.

1. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Around $250 - $300 OTD a good price for one of these in excellent condition?

[​IMG]

photo courtesy of Google.

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    [​IMG]

YES, if she is included ;)

3. undeRGRound

INDY
    8x50, 8x56 or 8x57, or the oddball 7.92x57 Mauser conversion?

The conversion is oddball, not the round :p

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Aren't those two the same thing?

5. cicpup

Vermont
    She isn't. Since I'm fast approaching the end of my Hi-Point collecting I'm in search of a new compulsion. Leaning heavily toward Mil-Surp as I love the look and history. But I know absolutely nothing about these things (applies to most mil-surp actually). Should have seen how retarded I looked asking the guy at the gun shop "Hey, what's that Mosin looking thing over there?".

6. cicpup

Vermont
    Pretty sure it was 8x56 but not positive. He showed me the rounds. Scary looking mother effers.

7. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

If you are the seller it is a good price, not so much if you are the buyer. I have two M95's..... I paid $99 for the first one from AIM and the second one I paid $79 for last year from J&G on sale. They are nice rifles, straight pull bolts, 8x56R round which will pound the hell out of your shoulder, but the biggest issue is finding the EnBloc clips for them that are in good shape and reasonably priced. I lucked out and found an original unopened spam can of early 1940's manufactured 8x56R with the rounds pre loaded in EnBloc clips and with both clips and ammo Waffenamt stamped.

I shoot a lot of calibers and the 8x56R in a Steyr M95 is by far the most brutal on the shoulder. I rarely shoot mine because of it.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Edited...flash beat me by seconds!

I haven't seen or heard much of these lately, the M95 was cheaper than a Mosin for a long time, the straight pull bolt is cool, but there were little issues.

They load using a reloadable enbloc clip that can be hard to locate, and it falls out the bottom of the mag well...meaning it's open to crud and stuff.

They have been surplus for over 70 years, meaning there is no cheap surplus ammo around. And extras, like bayonets, pouches, etc, are hard to find and not cheap.

They were WW1 guns, and sorta kinda maybe issued to rear guard troops in WW2, so they aren't as desirable to most casual collectors. That's good, or bad depending on your position.

I doubt I'd give more than $150, but I'm cheap. $200 (if a charger is included) could be the going price, I've not looked.

9. FlashBang

A couple things that you would enjoy to both collect and shoot:

Swiss K31 - a straight pull bolt, 7.5x55 and accurate as all heck. A beautiful weapon and a good addition to any collection.

Mauser - there are many types and models of Mausers to keep you busy collecting them. There are small ring models, large ring models, and many different countries of manufacture. The Mauser action is one of the best ever made and is used as the action for custom builds even today.

Makarov - a great pistol to both collect and shoot.

Mosin Nagant - every collection has to have a Mosin Nagant or two, or 10, in it.

Garand, M1 Carbine and 1903A3 - you can't be called a collector if you don't have one of each. :D

10. cicpup

Vermont
    I know you're a bargain hunter when it comes to firearms and in a decent area for such. As a small comparison of reality in Vermont/New Hampshire, beat to snot non-matching Mosin T-53's are going for $195. Considering that, this still a bad deal?

And thank you for the history lesson. Mucho appreciate.

11. cicpup

Vermont
    I will be grabbing one when I can.

4th one is currently on layaway.

Yea. Right after I hit the lottery.

Your other suggestions are currently filed under the "if I come across them" section.

12. FlashBang

Spend $30 and get your C&R FFL. You'll make your $30 back on the money you save on the first T53 you buy. You can buy a T53 for $99.

If you are going to get into C&R your first step should getting your FFL.

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    For the chance to handle the gun, and keep the local guy functioning, with some goodwill toward future guns, $250 could work.

14. cicpup

Vermont
    Few things putting the kabosh on that idea right now. No USPS home delivery in my town. Nobody home weekdays to sign for deliveries. And they still haven't found the prick who's going around stealing UPS/Fed-EX deliveries. The fact we don't even have a local police department might have something to do with the last one.

Now if I can get dealers to solely use USPS addressed to my PO Box and I can sign for them at my Post Office, then it might be doable.

15. cicpup

Vermont
    I have another handgun being delivered to there in a few days. When I pop in I'll see if the bayonet and other goodies you mentioned are included. I think that might be the deciding factor. It is a sweet looking firearm though.

16. undeRGRound

INDY
    IDK, 'Jolé! Wik-Wik listed them separately... :confused:

That is the "best" from what I can tell, and not the most common of the breed. Helps the overall value from what I see...

K31 with GP11 ammo could replace the well known phrase "built like a Swiis watch" with
    "Built Like a SWISS RIFLE" it seems ;) The mil-surp ammo is totally match grade, here is a link for the blog where I first read about this rifle and ammo! No WONDER the Swiss were able to remain neutral, no one wanted to fvck with them! :D

http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2011/11/one-million-visitors.html#links