Sticking bullet?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Thirdlaw, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Thirdlaw

Thirdlaw Member

Hi, I just traded for a 4595 ts and it seems in good shape, I cleaned it first and tried to hand cycle a round. it wouldn't eject and I had to use a screwdriver to pry out the rim. I saw the rim was horribly chewed up. I then went onto this forum to read up on it, that's when I read the firing pin is part of the ejection process so I wont be doing that anymore. (I know cycling live ammo is not the best but for what its worth I have sandbags in a corner in my basement for doing just that.) Anyway. From what it looks like the extractor cannot pull out the round because its pushing it in to the point it sticks? Was this just due to hand cycling? Will it work properly during live fire since its blow back operated? I am concerned since the next round tried to load behind the stuck one. I plan to call customer service tomorrow but thought id ask if any of you might have my answer. Thank you in advance.

2. Thirdlaw

Thirdlaw Member

Almost forgot to mention, I can insert a round with the bolt open and it freely slides in and out, tried 3 different brands and they all freely slide as well. I already scrubbed the chamber and extractor to avoid any oil, dirt or anything. I am hoping this is just a hi point thing and actually firing will cycle correctly. Id hate to have to send back a new to me firearm but anything for safety.

3. Sounds like your putting the bullet in the chamber by hand than closing the bolt, if so the ejector won't catch the rim or at least that the way a c-9 seems to work. The shell needs to slide up from the magazine to slide the rim under ejector hook.

4. Thirdlaw

Thirdlaw Member

I didn't think about that, I found a spent case and put that in by hand, let the bolt slam home, and it worked fine once. tried to do it though the mag but without the bullet nose it got squished. I think I need snap caps to test the feeding/ejecting from the magazine. I got a decent look at the firing pin and extractor and they both seem fine and in good shape. I think/hope its all working correctly but I cant get to a range till next week. Before I potentially destroy some snap caps do you think they will give a adequate idea of how things should cycle?

5. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    You need to feed rounds only from the magazine. Don't close the bolt on a chambered round. To test cycling, load a mag with some snap caps, and then cycle the action.

6. ndindy

ndindy Member

I'm not 100% sure I'm reading the problem correctly, but here's some general info that may apply.

Semi-auto actions are meant to work at full speed. When you baby one you always run the risk of causing a malfunction. Those mal's are user error and not mechanical problems. If you put a round into the chamber and then slowly close it, any semi firearm, you run the risk of the extractor claw just jamming the round into the chamber and not engaging correctly. That will result in a possibly out of battery fire as the chamber won't be fully closed, and that's bad :) Or if the chamber is closed enough to keep all your eyeballs intact, the brass will swell and will be a bugger to get out. You'll need a wood dowel and a hammer at this point.

Most extractor claws are spring loaded and even when not fed from the magazine as intended will snap over the rim of a hand loaded cartridge. Every time that happens, you run the risk of damaging the extractor. It *will* do it, but it's not meant to do it. It's one of those things that will generally work in a pinch, but don't make a habit of it. And it may break your extractor the very first time, it's a risk. It's been years since I looked at a HP action so I'm not 100% sure it's a spring loaded ejector. If it's a solid piece in order to chamber and hand loaded round, the extractor will have to gouge it's way through the rim, at which point there may not be enough intact brass for it to grab and extract. So if you're down to 1 bullet in your pocket and want to get a round off before the zombie horde gets you, go for it. Otherwise...

Done correctly the firearm will always be fed out of the magazine. The action will push the round forward and the rim of the brass will slip into position and life will be good. If you want to top off the correct way is to chamber from the mag, then drop the mag and top it off.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  7. Thirdlaw

Thirdlaw Member

Got it all figured out. Thank you all for your input. I picked up some snap caps this morning, tried to cycle them through the action and it still wouldn't eject right. then I realized since the firing pin plays a part I loaded the mag, dropped the bolt and pulled the trigger. (Something I couldn't do with live rounds.) Then I cycled the action and out shot a snap cap. the next round chambered perfectly and again I pulled the trigger, cycled the bolt and out shoots another snap cap. I am so relieved. everything seems to be working perfectly. I guess the firing pin spring needs the tension relieved for it to function as the ejector? something like that. Now onto customizing now that it seems I have a functioning carbine.

8. ndindy

ndindy Member

If you have to pull the trigger to eject, something isn't right.

9. Thirdlaw

Thirdlaw Member

Its not that i pulled the trigger extra. I just recreated what will happen when firing. Load mag, release bolt, pull trigger, bang would happen if live, and cycle the bolt, ejecting old and feeding new. Only I pull trigger, hear the click, and grab the bolt to rack back and drop foreward. Manually but quickly recreating the movement. Snap cap flies out hard and fast and strips the next round in. Works great.

10. ndindy

ndindy Member

Except you should be able to eject a live, unfired round with exactly 0 problems. If you HAVE to pull the trigger to eject, something is wrong. That is an unsafe weapon. As far as the weapon is concerned, unless there is a problem, there is absolutely no difference between a fired and unfired round. Think of the MASSIVE liability if every gun HAD to be fired to clear it.

That is not working great, that is a negligent discharge waiting to happen.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  11. makarovnik

makarovnik Member

I had a problem with a brand new 4595 and rounds getting stuck in the chamber.

I had to lube well and pry out with screwdriver. I also noticed that the case mouth on the brass was slightly crushed only after getting stuck in the chamber. I came to the conclusion the headspace was not correct and chamber not deep enough.

Sent a note to that effect and Hi-Point repaired my carbine and replaced the barrel. All is fine now. Thank goodness Cabela's took care of shipping the carbine to Hi-Point.

12. talon

talon the banned wagon

/\ see this. Read it over and over.

You should be able to load a round, drop the mag and eject that unfired round. You shouldn't have to pull the trigger in order to eject the round.

Try it again. Load your magazine with 2rounds. insert it, rack it. A round should enter the chamber.
    Now, Pull the charging handle back and that round should fly out, unfired and undamaged. Now, pull the charging handle again and that 2nd round should come out. Also unfired and undamaged.
    If it does, then, and ONLY then, can you say its working properly. If that round does not eject, or ejects damaged, you've got a serious problem.