Still light at the end of the tunnel

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Newskate9, Jan 26, 2008.

1. I complain a lot. Most of my posts involve some level of disagreement with something or some one. And you all are friends enough to listen, agree, or put me in my place when needed. I value this. It's what friends are for.

But I had a thought this morning and realized for all the b******* I do, my life ain't so bad. I still have problems like every one, an estranged daughter, my wife's illness. But you know what, it doesn't suck like I think it does some times.

I visited my sons' high school yesterday for a meeting with the football coach as I'm a booster parent kinda guy. This the same public high school that had a 20 ft Christmas tree in the lobby. Parked in the visitor's lot was an ARMY recruiter's car and inside the student door area, were three snappy young men in uniform, preparing to talk with students at lunch. And NO protesters out front - how cool is that!

We're working on a plan to raise funds to build new facilities for student athletes this spring that will benefit 100's of kids. And of our graduating football class, all but one are going to college this year. A lot of the right stuff is happening.

My oldest makes his FIRST house payment this week in his new home and finally got his permanent position making twice the money I did when I graduated college 25 years ago. He's a good kid - and if you recall the gun story, he's elected to NOT take his gun with him at this time because he doesn't want to upset his mom. [ Mom is learning to shot with me this summer, so I suspect that'll change. ]

Just a few "good things" going on. I'm thankful for what God has given me and allowed me to work for. I'm thankful to those who stand the wall and allow me time to worry about the trivial things of life. I'm thankful for finding this place and each of you - I've learned more than you could ever know. Yep, life for me could be a lot worse.

2. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I'm glad you have removed yourself from "The dumps"my friend. I really do. I'm glad your son made the decision for himself, rather than you as a father make a decision for him... That would have made it look like you were over-bearing over a firearm, IMHO.

You can also pat yourself on the back for raising a good son, I'm sure rimfirehunter pats himself on the back everyday (he raised me, when it mattered).

It's not easy to walk the straight and narrow in this world, such desires of money, sex, and booze tend to make young adults stray from the path of success, heck I've got a friend who still lives at home and rides a skateboard everyday... he's 23, and has a baby on the way. I'm trying to coax him out of his "childhood" with all of the good things about having your own place. You know, guests whenever you want, doing whatever you want, not having to hide liquor bottles under the matress (among other things), and the freedom of being out on your own in general. I just hope he sees the light, and grows up soon. I see your son doesn't have this issue, so i say CONGRATS!!!

3. Good post. Things are not as negative as they often seem. It was nice to see you give some perspective and balance in your remarks.

4. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Newskate9
    Your OK moaning is a part of life {look at me] Sounds like you got a good son . Strangerous I just don't know about you I think instead of RFH slappin you on the back it should be on the back of the head :wink:
    [​IMG]

5. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

No No No Shooter, RFH is patting himself on the back for raising a good son (as in ME).

6. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

He 's gotta be careful with his back so he's gotta slap the back of your head :p [​IMG]

7. Glad to hear things aren't all bad Skate.

8. the way i see it...if you woke up this morning you really don't have any worries....some folks didn't even get that option. nothing in life is guaranteed....not even your next breath.

9. Good post, Newskate.

I didn't notice you "b*****g" at all. Maybe it's because I usually agree with what you're "b*****g" about. :lol:

10. We all have alot more to be thankful for than we realize sometimes.

11. What are friends for if not to be there when you need to tell someone.
    we have two sons ,two great daughter inlaws, and 3 granddaughters,and two more on the way.
    Life is good!

12. neothespian

neothespian Member

Sometimes it just takes remembering what keeps you going on and striving for it. Myself? I complain ALOT (as many may know) and have made it clear that I am NOT happy about being plucked from my hot but familiar home away from home in Phoenix, but I try to look at it from show to show: If I have a project to work and art to make, then life is ok :D

As far as the rest of life, can't go wrong from taking cues from the world around you. Things can't be so bad if there are others who are doing well. It's infectious that kind of success, and all the better when you realize that it's around you.

I myself just try to keep remembering MY morals. True, what is considered "moral" varies from person to person, but the trick it to surround yourself with others who MAINTAIN their morals. When you adhere to a way of life and resist the temptation to give up on it or to change it simply because someone tells you to, that makes you better of a man and betters the relationships of those around you. Whether you're a devout born again Christian preacher or an Atheist highschool teacher: If you stick to your guns no matter what the majority or minority says, your life will be in far better order than those who change on the whims of others.

Good to hear things are going better in the mindset! Never cool to see a good man bummed out. As one of my dad's favourite philosophers would say "We're pulling for ya; We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice".

I seek wisdom from an enlightened monk from 25000 years ago, he seeks his wisdom from a middle aged Canadian on Trio TV. Go fig.

13. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

Just remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the locomotive about to run you over. ;-)

SW

14. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

dude, are you missing a * or am i unaware of a new swear-word?

15. I'm missing a *.

:D

16. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

Better than missing a *****

SW