Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waiting for the 995 I ordered for 2 months now and Im not handling very well. In the meantime, I want to get a .22 auto loading rifle. I know most of you have at least 1 .22, so I thought I'd ask for some advice. I don't want to spend a lot so I'm not getting a 10/22, but I'm looking at either the Marlin or the Mossberg. When they are on sale here I've seen them for $119. I'm not a hunter, so this will just be a plinker to go along with my 995 (if it ever comes in!) So any thoughts on these rifles?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Either one will do great for plinking. Just get the least expensive one available and you should be satisfied. I've had many 22 rifles over the years and all the regular autos were about the same.

·
Registered
48 Posts
When you do choose and get a semi auto .22 and your using it for plinking if you haven't already you might want to try Agulia's 60 grain SSS Sniper Subsonic round. They are LR rounds loaded in a .22 short casing, and they cycle fine in my 10/22. It's loud, not really subsonic and is a heavy hitter that does the job for knocking around metal cans, etc. Also, if you want to stay on the less $ side a good .22 rifle option you might want to consider is the Henry H001 Lever Action. A plus with the Henry is that it will shoot Long Rifle, Long and Short rounds. I got one last yr @ Dick's for $225 and ended up liking it a lot, I take it to the range just about every time I go. It's handled every different LR round I have found on the local shelves and it's been great for paper target range shooting. When using the Henry for plinking @ my camp other than the LR 60 grains I use CCI CB shorts which travel @ 700 fps, similar to an air gun but carries a 29 grain load. They are very, very quiet (not intrusive to neighbors for long times @ the range) and are reasonably accurate up to about a 100 yards (compared to a regular LR round they drop off fairly quickly after that though). Good luck with the 995 when it comes in, it's great gun for plinking too.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I own 2 Marlin model 60's and i love them both! Although you may not be able to spend hundreds on aftermarket upgrades i really dont see why people do that on a little .22...if you want something better than buy a bigger gun!

If you just want to plink and save a lot of money then buy the Marlin 60...heck i got both of mine at a local pawn shop and only paid $85 each!

G

·
I have both the marlin 60 and the 10/22 and both are great. The 60 can't be beat for the price though. I've bounced more cans and shot more squirrels with that thing than I can count. Both are plenty accurate in stock form.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've got a Marlin 60 as well. Best "bang" for the buck (pun intended). There's also a speedloader for the tube magazines that Cabellas sells for around 20 dollars. They look like they would work really good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input. I hadn't considered the Marlin 60. I was looking at the 795, but I will have to check out the 60. I like the looks of it. On the 995 front, still nothing but I am making some more calls today and hopefully will find something. I just don't want to go around leaving deposits with nothing to show for it. From what I am reading here on the forums, carbines are making it out to stores, I don't know why my area is not getting them in.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The 795 is also a fine firearm and very popular. It might actually be less expensive than the model 60, too.

One advantage that the 795 has is that it is magazine fed, so more mags equals less time between trigger pulls since you won't have to reload the tube like in the model 60.

I have a family member that owns a model 60, and it is a tack driver! We were using it to punch out 14-point font letters on a printer page target we made up to spell words at about 40-50 yards. Talk about fun!

·
Registered
222 Posts
The nice thing about the tube fed model 60 is you can get something called a Spee-D-Loader from cabelas...it holds enough rounds in it to re-load your tube 8 times! It has 8 seperate compartments that all hold enough to fill the tube. So you can go through about 100 rounds in no time.

Best part is...its only $20! And i believe cabelas has free shipping right now!

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I bought a mossberg plinkster for $99 at academy sports and I like it. I have a 10/22 that gets more use but the plinkster 702 worked fine for me until the ruger came along. You cant trick it out and it only holds 10 rounds but i put a cheap tasco scope on it and i was happy. I found mags clearanced at walmart for 6 dollars each and bought 4 totaling the mags to 5 with the one that came with mine. it shoots squirrel and cans just as good as the ruger but you wont find a 30 round mag or folding stock for it. for the money i think its hard to beat...I also want a tube fed because they hold 16 and you dont have to fool with a magazine or an extra one just drop the shells in and go! and when you get tired of it you can always put it into an H&K clone metal airsoft from classicarmy like the guy on youtube did...talk about bada$$.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My advice would be for the Marlin model 60 or 795. They're both basically the same rifle, but with different magazines. The Model 60 is a bit heavier due to the tube magazine. The 795 is lighter, but you only 7 or 10 round magazines as opposed to a 15 round tube magazine. I've got a brand new Marlin Papoose (takedown 22 similar to the AR-7 or Henry Survival Rifle) that I haven't got to shoot yet, but is wonderfully light and quick handling.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again for your replies. I checked out a Marlin 60 yesterday with the imitation carbon fiber stock. Nice but too pricey for me. On the 995 front, however, I checked again with the dealer I placed an order with 2 months ago and he tells me they located one, just waiting for it. Thats the same story he told me a month ago when I checked with him. Anyway, I called another dealer about a half hour away who said they had them in stock with the laser, but he wouldn't give me a price over the phone. So I drove over there today. He wants $369 for the 995 with the laser. He also had a 4095 straight up for $299. Way too high for me. So as I am driving home, figuring I'll just have to wait for the first place to come through, I see a sign that says Guns and Ammo and I see a little store front. I figure what the hell, I'll check it out. I drive around and go inside and it's a lot bigger store than I thought. I ask the guy if he has any. He says he has 2 coming in next week for $229. I told him I had a deposit down at this other shop and when I told him which one, he rolls his eyes and says if it was another shop he would say wait it out but not with this one. So I left a deposit with this place and I'm cancelling the other one. This place seemed to know what was going on more than the other. Also, it happens that UPS was making deliveries at both places while I was there. Yesterday at the first shop, 1 package was delivered. Today at the new place, a whole handtruck full of boxes. Anyway, sorry for the long rant, but I see a light at the end of the tunnel.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
i own the marlin model 60 and the ruger 10/22. its my second 10/22. i like the marlin MUCH better. its a little slower to load but it goes BOOM *a very quiet boom* every time. plus i think its a little more accurate.

if you LOOK hard enough you can get a model 60 cheap. i picked mine up for 60 plus tax used. it had no rear sight so i talked them out of quite a bit of money. i put a cheap tasco 3 x 9 on it for about 30 dollars. 90 all in all for the best .22 rifle i've ever owned lol. good luck hunting

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm finally a proud owner of a 995! It came in yesterday and I picked it up today. Now next week I'm off to the range. Oh and I got my deposit back from the first place I went to.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Congratulations on finally getting your 995!

As for a .22LR, I am very happy with my Remington 597. I got it new for about $175 with a scope, but they can be as little as $120 without. Like other .22's, you can get them in the regular sports stores (Dick's, Sports Authority etc.) which tend to be a little cheaper than the gun stores or big hunting stores. It is very reliable, seems happy with bulk discount ammo, and you can easily get a 30 round mag.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.