Stippled SD40

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Eklypse, May 16, 2014.

1. Eklypse

Eklypse Member

Did some stipple work on the SD 40 Gotta say it made a huge improvement on the grip, it may not look the best but function is more important. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kiln

Kiln Member

Function is more important...uuuuntil it comes to resale.

Sadly you permanently decreased the value by over $100 while simultaneously voiding your warranty and accomplishing the same thing (more solid grip) a $15 rubber wrap around grip would have pulled off.

If you like it though, congrats.

3. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

A good stippling job will improve the value of a dime a dozen plastic fantastic pistol. But you didn't do a good job. Not knocking you efforts at all. No one ever learns by telling others how stupid their ideas are. We learn by trying and by failing. However your is not a failure as the grip will be much better, it's just not cosmetically appealing. Where you went wrong was you put it on using a pattern, looks like top to bottom. A good stipple job is applied as randomly as possible. You make the burns randomly around the entire area you intend to stipple. At first, in fact until you are almost done it looks like poo. But as you randomly fill in the last of the gaps it all comes together.

I suggest before you do another gun get some junk plastic and practice. It doesn't take much practice to figure it out. Once it's going on randomly it works. There was a guy here about a year ago or so who did great work. He laid out designs that wouldn't be stippled then stippled around them. Those were beautiful, and guys who do it very well get paid well to do it.

Welcome to the site.;)

4. It looks overly aggressive to me, but then I don't like grips that bite. I am used to shooting SA revolvers and prefer smoother grips. I have seen stipple jobs that improved the looks of a gun. That said I would not do it to any of mine.

5. talon

talon the banned wagon

i like it. i think you need to knock the ''fuzziness'' down a little bit with some steel wool, or light sandpaper but otherwise its not bad at all.

i do agree, a more random ''non patten'' would look better, but, ive seen a bazillion times worse!!!

6. mej24

mej24 Member

Agree with Talon on this,but it's something you done by yourself for yourself. Enjoy it

The most effective way to stop a shooter is to shoot back.

7. Nope. the best ones are definitely patterned....

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.166187876771379.35001.164876426902524&type=3

But, to each their own. I'm not a fan and have never had an issue with a factory grip that would be at all improved by damaging the value. :cool:

8. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    Why not a grip sleeve? Wont decrease the value.

9. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

really?!? skull stipple??

[​IMG]

10. That's WAY beyond a sticker..... :eek:

11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    What matters, Eklypse, is that it works for YOU.
    You may not have wanted to sell the gun anyway, so no biggy.
    Those Glock-Offs are relatively cheap anyway, I've seen them for $325 here.
    More random would have been better, but maybe you could still make it look
    less patterned with a bit more work. IMO it would have been better to cover
    LESS Area, like only where the hand will hit the grips. I do like the trigger finger
    rest above the guard, well done!

On another note, how do you like the way the gun handles and fires? How about the trigger?
    I'm thinking of getting one of these in a 40 ;) Someday!

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  12. undeRGRound

INDY
    more "skull-y" :D

Attached Files:

13. Kiln

Kiln Member

Why in the hell would anyone do this to an XDS? The ergos are goid but the aggressive texturing makes it easy to hang on to.

14. Eklypse

Eklypse Member

Rubber wraparounds did not fit. I have no intention of ever selling this gun. I can replace any part that fail with exception of the frame due to serial # so I am not worried about it.

15. Eklypse

Eklypse Member

Love it I have the Apex AET trigger along with the Apex duty/carry spring kit which makes the trigger pull roughly 5 pounds vs the factory 8 pound trigger.

Here is a pic from today's shooting drills

Target was 10 yards out drill was to draw from concealment fire 5 reload and fire 5 more. I accidentally only loaded 4 in one mag so only 9 holes. drill was finished in just roughly 8 seconds. Done under the watchful eye of an NRA pistol instructor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Thats some good shooting! I have the SD9VE. Its a great shooting little gun. I upgraded to the Apex spring kit, haven't done the trigger yet. I would like to upgrade the front and rear sights to the M&P adjustable sights. I think that would be an improvement. All in all, still a great pistol. I like the look and feel better than the Block I mean Glock.

17. talon

talon the banned wagon

some people dont like to have something that looks exactly like every other one out there. originality. uniqueness, why do we customize our HiPoints? same thing.

it may do NOTHING to increase grip, or anything other than make it uniquely the owners. to some people that matters.

18. undeRGRound

INDY

IDK, got that shot from 'Tool's link above :D

Happy 1,000 posts KIL'N!