Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Stippling - WARNING - LOTS of PICS

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  heydave 
#1 ·
Ok, so I'm bored.

I stippled my backstraps on my M&P's and it looks cool and it makes a big difference in grip. So much so, I don't use a grip on top of the gun (i.e. the Newskate Nub). So I'm sitting here wondering what trouble I can get into, and I remember that I never told some of you how I did it - and that was a while ago. So, apologies. AND, this time I did the front strap and a mag extension. Lots of pics, sorry about that.

I used a wood burner, it cost $10 at the hobby shop. I used a slant tip and took my time. You can always press harder and go deeper, so start slow. The M&P comes with three backstraps and one can buy more, so I did the backstrap first, to get the hang of it. After that, it's all about taste.

The front strap I grooved straight across, as that is perpendicular to the way the gun wants to travel when it flips. I've not shot the new work yet, but will soon.

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Stipling - WARNING - LOTS of PICS

neat job but for anyone else doing this is does invalidate your warranty on every gun out there except a HP.

SW
Sort of. It can void the frame - but not necessarily. There's quite a few shops that do this work given: frames rarely fail, those that do, fail in other locations (most but not all the time of course). There's folks who have had frames replaced that broke in areas not stippled. There's quite a few stories about warranty work being done on the S&W's, SA's - on parts other than frames, after stippling was done.

Net - SW's right, there's some risk and you may one day buy a frame. So, understand the risks. And my bad for not pointing that part out.

#4 ·
Nice job!

#5 ·
Super nice addition to the looks and function of the pistol. I need to practice first on something plastic, then be brave enough to do it to my beloved c9 and jhp 45.

#6 ·
Update. Took the ladies shooting last night - the 9C with the new clothes, and the 40C without. It does make quite a bit of difference in the feel of the gun. My next step is to try shooting the 40C with the new clothes. More reports to come when I do!

Another warning - some who have stippled handles like this claim to have irritation when carrying IWB. I do not. So likely it's the shape of ones body/holster choice that's working, or not. If flab were a good preventative step, I'd have plenty to go around, but I don't think that's it. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.