Stolen Pistol found-but not returned!!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MGunny, May 8, 2015.

1. MGunny

MGunny Member Member

About 7 months ago I had my custom 1911A1 stolen from a floor mounted vault in my Jeep cherokee.On Tuesday of this week I got a phone call from the P.D. in Denver I was told that after a records search it was determined to be my gun.It was taken from an illegal alien in a drug raid
    I was asked a lot of questions about how and where the gun was taken and what security I use to protect my firearms-most of which I didn't answer because it was none of their business.I did explain that my insurance company had paid for the damage to my jeep and and the pro rated value of the pistol.After talking with my insurance CO. I was told that if I paid back the Co. for the value of the pistol it should be returned the Co contacted the Denver P.D. and was told that the pistol was now the property of the state of Colorado and would not be returned and would be scraped:mad:

2. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I am curious about the legal grounds they are using to declare it as their property. Are they doing so because because your insurance company had already compensated you for it? It is worth looking into. I would make them declare the legal reasoning for keeping it.

3. tjulian

tjulian Member

Do they also keep stolen tv's, computers, cars, etc?

4. Whenever they can get away with it they do. Here they sell the stuff at action. If someone happens to be there, sees an item that was stolen from them and wants it returned - well they are told to get lost or else.

5. I am not a lawyer, but I think it would be owned by the insurance company rather than the state. The insurance company paid you for it, now they have claim to the "salvage". That is the way it works on a stolen vehicle in Mo. Good luck if you decide to try to get it back.

d524ax

6. FirearmFanatic

FirearmFanatic "The Enabler!"

The insurance company should be the "legal" owner of it since they have paid you for it. They should pursue obtaining it through legal action. If you want it back yourself, I would prod the company into pursuing the claim by reaching an agreement with your insurance that you will reemburse them the funds they paid out for it.

7. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Yup. It's your Ins Co's problem. As long as you weren't dumb enough to return the settlement.

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Just Curious, but what percentage of List (or retail) was the "pro-rated" amount?

9. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

How madly abused is it now? I bet it is not worth anywhere near what insurance paid due to bad handling.

10. MGunny

MGunny Member Member

Here's the latest

I spoke with a rep from the insurance CO-Legally the pistol belongs to them since they paid me for its loss ($1400) to claim it they would have to file a claim with federal court,because the firearm was transported across several state (a federal crime) lines,and was in the possession of a now federal prisoner
    The gun was test fired and the ballistics were entered into a national data base for comparison on gun crimes in other cities and states
    this is an ATF regulation and any firearm taken in a federal crime is to be held for a period of time (?) and then scraped

11. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Well at least you have closure.

12. what_now

what_now Member

And by scrapped they mean in the private collection of a Federal officer. :D

Edit: Before anyone starts to argue the validity of what I just said..... It was a joke!

13. bluharley

bluharley Member

So the moral of the story, once it's stolen, it is unrecoverable.

14. Yup. There is a reason for the category of guns called 'truck guns'.

15. Think1st

Florida
    JHP vs. 1911 under the seat? I think the ~$150 gun is the safer bet if you could end up never seeing it again.

16. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Unfortunately my truck gun now has a nice set of grips and sights on it. Still it is my least expensive handgun even with the mods. Behold the LCZDP, Low Cost Zombie Dispatch Pistol. Mahan sights not shown.

Attached Files:

17. Think1st

Florida
    Where's your Joey trigger? I heard that if you ask the question on the Joey trigger thread that Joey will be more than happy to explain the process for ordering and paying for one.

18. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

If he doesn't, the animals will.....

19. Think1st

Florida
    Or they'll probably all start asking the same question, too...

20. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    The Best Jokes contain an element of truth...:D