Stop Pretending You Ate That

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, Jun 22, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Just a fun little story about an instragram anti-hero on a one-person campaign to fight the photos of itty-bitties pretending to eat gut busting food. It's a little old (I think) but still getting comments.

Seriously, Stop Pretending You Ate That

"This is not me making some huge social commentary about what size somebody is and what they’re eating. This is more like, Come on, we see the formula. Let’s lift the curtain here on Oz. If you’re a size zero, and you’re frolicking in a tiny bikini on the beach, you probably did not eat the doughnuts that you posed with the sunglasses. It’s just presenting this curated life that’s beautiful and perfect and totally unrealistic. More power to you for rocking that! You look awesome! Don’t lie about how you got there! It’s fine."​

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Not a problem we deal with in the Hoyle household....

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    My guess is that whoever wrote that is jealous and hostile toward those who watch their figures. I really can't figure out why the subject could rankle anyone's hide so badly.

Sure, maybe it's not a terribly original photo, anymore, but who cares? If it amuses them, then so be it. The writer doesn't have to spend so much time looking at Face Book.

4. Bull

I agree...... I spend more time wondering where they got the huge ass donut!

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

When I saw the headline, I immediately thought of a commercial with bikini-clad models pretending to eat gigantic hamburgers.

My personal take on it isn't that anyone is upset or hostile toward those who watch their figures, but, rather, something else. We all get that "sex sells." However, the bikini-babes with gigantic burgers strains credulity. I mean, honestly, a nice set of boobs is distracting and all, but I'm a little insulted that they think I'm THAT dumb. To me, it's kinda humorous (and a little insulting) because I know that a body like that requires lots of physical maintenance and a very careful diet. ...which doesn't include monster burgers, fries, and donuts. Orange juice soaked cotton balls, maybe, but monster burgers? No. It used to be that diet, weight loss, exercise products, and personal grooming (makeup, cologne, cloths, etc.) products were sold by pairing them with hot chicks; "use this product, look like this." Now, I'm seeing, "eat this high-calorie mega-fries, look like this." :confused:

So, while I don't particularly mind a hot commercial babe trying to sell me a burger (or doughnut, or whatever), I do find it a bit warped. I appreciate the irony of the warp, but feel a little insulted that the marketiers seem to think anyone would accept it.

Maybe they've just run out of ideas? :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. Rerun

Rerun Member

Is this because You have Your own rules...?

eldar

7. Bull

Yes..... And no royalty checks......

8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Kirk, you spend entirely too much time on social media.
    Time for a twitter Time out # letitgo # whocares

:D

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Truthfully, I've never been on twitter. I keep telling myself that I really should create an account, but I don't. That might be because twitter "feels" to me like Facebook except that everything I consider negative about Facebook is amplified on twitter. Twitter seems to me as designed for soundbyte over-simplified communication, designed to polarize discussion, and optimized for triviality on a scale never before seen in humanity. ...like Facebook without any redeeming qualities at all. :(

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

kinda like the old cigarette commercials of physically fit and active smokers with beautifully white teeth, lol.

11. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I don't find it incredulous, nor do I find it insulting. I think that they really have run out of ideas, and a bikini babe will certainly make someone sit through the commercial, rather than fast-forwarding through it on the DVR.

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You ignore the fact that...it works.:(

I agree, it's ridiculous, and I'd be insulted...except I know it's not aimed at me, it's aimed at the ignorant masses.

As a teacher, THAT'S what insults me.
    The fact that there are ignorant masses.:(
    I feel the same way every time I happen upon a "reality" show on TV, or watch the news. So much ignorance. :cool:

13. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scFvk9ONFs0[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  14. Hermitt

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhh4B_JQez8[/ame]

15. Hermitt

okay, where'd the delete post button go? :confused:

16. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Round Rock Donuts in Round Rock Texas. :D
    One of the best donuts you'll ever eat!
    All LEO's know where to get the best donuts, it's the first thing they teach us in the academy..... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Attached Files:

17. FlashBang

Carl's always hires the beautiful models with tiny hands for the same reason we want to date them.... the meat always looks bigger when they are holding it. :cool:

18. Bull

I remember that episode....... Believe it or not, my daughter and I like that series immensely!!!

19. FlashBang

I took my daughter there when she saw that episode and decided she just had to have one.
    It's only about 60 minutes away if you go up the toll road.

20. Rerun

Rerun Member