Storage of ammo

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by Whomeno, Apr 30, 2014.

1. just a quick post too see how everyone is storing their ammo.
    I will start. my SD loads are in plastic 50 rd boxes
    My bulk ammo is in a 50 cal ammo box loose.
    was looking at tring to make trays for ammo box but not sure what too use.

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    In there..

Attached Files:

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    In here. Some is in boxes inside the cans, some on clips, either stripper or enbloc, and some is in those cute little paper bundles.;)
    Nothing is loose.

[​IMG]

The .223 is in a mortar can like this, on stripper clips.

[​IMG]

4. Branth

Branth Member

.223 on stripper clips in the military cardboard boxes. It's the most space-efficient storage I could get, and loads super-quick on my AR. I have one 30-cal ammo can of the best ammo I can possibly make that is sealed with a dessicant, a date, and the round count inside. Everything else is in other ammo cans, also in stripper clips and cardboard.

My 9mm is in MTM ammo boxes stacked on my loading shelf. I wish I could come across mass quantities of the S&B ammo boxes because those are more efficient space-wise than the MTM boxes or the more common Remington boxes.

My .308 is in MTM boxes for now, but once I get a favorite recipe worked up, I have M14 5-round stripper clips and cardboard boxes for those too, and those will go in 30-cal ammo cans.

5. geekandwife

geekandwife Good ole Boy Member

Most of my ammo is stored inside of a couple of trees and a couple of dirt piles on my grandpa's farm... Oh you mean the stuff I haven't shot yet... don't have much left of that...

6. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I just use these large plastic lockable tubs for range ammo. I keep the more expensive self defense ammo in the gun safe.

7. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I keep ALL my ammo over there!

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    A great big plus a zillion to that.:)

9. I store mine in small plastic containers with desiccant in each one inside a safe. I usually buy the 50 or 100 rd containers from franfort arsenal when they go on sale at midway usa.

10. Branth

Branth Member

Think you could get together a few guys for a group buy?

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I'm sure we could get the guys.

I doubt we can find the ammo, at a price I'd feel to be adequately inexpensive.:(

12. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 Member

I need a compass and map to find where I put it, but I buried both the compass and the map, somewhere.

13. Branth

Branth Member

I was thinking we just try and buy the boxes.

I called S&B, and apparently the boxes are mede in the Czech Republic. He took my e-mail and said he'd get back to me on who they buy them from. I'm hoping we might be able to talk them out of a few empty boxes, though it is doubtful.

14. desertrider

desertrider Member

I keep one of these for each caliber I own, full, stacked in my medicine cabinet.

'cause I'm all Tier 1 like that.

[​IMG]

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Now THAT would be cool.:)

16. I keep mine in the gun room on 4 racks. Each rack has 4 shelves and I arrange it by caliber. I also have 3 rolling carts with each shelf having different types of ammo for different reasons. The rest is bulk in 50 cal cans for reloading.

17. Mostly in ammo cans, that is what they were designed for and do a great job of it. Reloads usually just dumped in, factory stacked in the original boxes. I keep the milsurp stuff in crates in the garage (That's SGAmmos warehouse, not my garage. My pile is a little less high...)

Attached Files:

18. I keep mine in plastic bins all locked up in a metal cabinet.

If they came in a crate they are still in the crate. No reason to open them yet.

19. I store my ammo in brand new .50 cal U.S made steel ammo boxes or even better the .50 cal boxes we get in with NATO 5.56x45 in as a package deal at work. We separate the the ammo from the box and sell the 50 pack ammo and box individually. As an employee I snag a pretty good discount on the brand new .50 cal ammo box. I now have enough boxes on hand for my various calibers plus one to take to the range loaded with what ever I'm going to shoot.

20. I bet that pallet inventory at SGAmmos no longer exists.