Storing safe in garage midwest humidity and heat

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by rippinryno, Jun 18, 2015.

1. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

Well, i recently bought my 2nd gun safe. numero uno is in the walk in closet with the prized firearms. I wanted to put one in the garage so that it's easier for me to whip it out and plink at will. I picked up a cheap 18 gun safe, or locker if you will. it's nothing fancy but at least keeps the guns put away from the kids. My question is that it's humid as ballsack around here and i just wonder if its even worth doing this? I oil them very well before i put them away and i haven't seen rust so far in the 1 month period they've been in the garage.

I dont' think the safe is actually sealed enough to try a dehumid thingy that they sell for gun safes, like damprid or something like that. Is this flirting with disaster and should i put this thing next to the other one? I know humidity is terrible for firearms and even when i oil the surfaces i can reach that doesn't mean i'm oiling anything inside the firearm that might catch humidity. i do not clean my guns after every time out, that would be a full time job, for the most part, the ones i shoot are the hi points 995, 40sw, ruger sr22, ruger g100, couple 22lr's and a couple 12 gauges.

what do you guys think? is this ok if i keep heavy oil on the exteriors?

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Put a lightbulb in there..... It'll help ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1434670913.950691.jpg

3. talon

talon the banned wagon

You'll have more issues with mice and spiders than from the weather more than likely. A good canister of moisture repellant pellets ( the name just won't come out...) in the bottom will work wonders.

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I keep my guns and ammo in an air conditioned room and still I need to check up on them.
    But that's in FL.
    Personally I wouldn't put anything in the garage.
    The only way you'll have access to my guns is if you get passed me.

5. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

What if you ain't home?

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

My wife likes the .357......
    If she's not home, well then you gotta go find 'em first.

7. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Baking soda (not baking powder) is a good inexpensive moisture absorber. I put two open boxes in my gun cabinet. One on the shelf and one on the floor. I replace them every 6 months. But in an open environment like in a garage, I doubt they would be adequate by themselves.

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

HPFF Premium Members only: The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance

It contains a section on a DIY desiccant and raising the dew point of your safe (which is exactly the same as what Bull already posted).

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. I would look for a used dehumidifier on craigslist, and just dehumidify the whole garage, good for your tools too. Only issue is using electricity.

10. so what? kitchen cabinet? Under the sofa? Strapped to the back of your recliner?

good thing you dont have kids.

When i was a teen, we played with all my friends dads guns. That he had "hidden"

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Save yourself some money and get some scrap drywall.

As I wrote elsewhere on HPFF:

Go to a construction site or a house rehab and load up on 50 pounds of scrap plaster wallboard. It contains gypsum, a naturally occurring desiccant. Crush it into coarse pea-gravel size. Place in steel or aluminum containers. You can make aluminum foil sachets or make an aluminum pie plate "tambourine" (use the disposable aluminum pie plates) and poke holes in one side (the "top"). In a bind, you can wash out a bunch of aluminum soda cans. You regenerate the gypsum (drive off the moisture) by baking it for 2-4 hours at between 400-450 degrees. Baking it at a lower temp will not drive water out of gypsum and baking it above 450 will ruin it for sure and it will never work as a desiccant again. Store whatever it is you want to keep dry in a more-or-less sealed container (like a trunk) with as much of the gypsum as you can reasonably stick in there. Depending on local conditions, regenerate the gypsum every two-weeks to once per season.

There is, literally, no less expensive way I know of to get gun-safe & ammo (and components) desiccant. It'll be ugly as sin but it'll work.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  12. rippinryno

might have to try the drywall, i did put a container of "damp rid" in there for the time being.

apparently it takes the water from the air and soaks it all up. To add to this humidity discussion we got 2.5 inches of rain yesterday and another inch last night. the farm is flooded!

13. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

In furtherance of Kirk's post, just go to your local home improvement store and grab the scrap pieces of sheet rock they use to support the stacks so they aren't sitting on the floor.

14. I never really thought it necessary to keep a dehumidifier in a safe that is already in a climate control room. But, for kicks and giggles, I placed a container of Damp Rid in my safe. After a month or so I was amazed at the water/moisture it collected. I will always have a tub of this in my safe.

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Taking water from the air is what a desiccant does.

DampRid is just Calcium Chloride, like the "Ice Melt" you buy during winter, only more expensive. As it absorbs water, it will liquify but it will act as a desiccant even while still solid (important note).

You can "regenerate" it (drive out the moisture and return it to water-absorbing potential) by baking it in a household oven, the same as most desiccants.

If it is liquid, you'll need to be a little more careful that it doesn't slosh anywhere when you poor the fluid into whatever container you're going to bake it in. Chose one that you don't mind never using for anything else. Disposable aluminum pie pans, for instance, would be an option. Bake at 350-400 or so for several hours, until solid, then a little more. You'll have to break it up again for best desiccant action.

If it's still solid, just empty it out into your metal container and bake.

Sometimes it will clump together in a brick as it absorbs moisture. You can still bake it to drive off the water. Should probably break it up afterwards.

Don't bake it in the provided plastic container.

DampRid sells replacement pellets if you don't want to regenerate your calcium chloride. If you don't want to buy the DampRid brand replacements and don't want to regenerate, then buy one of the Calcium Chloride "Ice Melt" 20 pound bags and refill from that.

Don't spill the liquid on any guns, gun parts, or anything else capable of rusting. It's a salt. Spilling it in the action of your gun will lead to predictable results, as if you'd shot corrosively primed ammo through it and then didn't clean. "Corrosively Primed Ammunition" leaves "corrosive salts" residue. The important part is "salts."

There are a dozen other things you could use too, but what you've got should work. It's not as aggressively hydroscopic as some other options, but it works well enough.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

16. rippinryno

^^^very good to hear, I use this stuff in my basement so i had some on hand that i am trying out. I can get the scrap drywall in broken pieces for super cheap at menards locally so i may give all these a whirl. thank you guys.

17. I guess im just lazy, i plug my de-humifior in and let it go. takes my basement from 90% to 55% in hours and keeps it there.

18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Sheesh! Whata lazy bum!

Go buy some wood and hammer nails randomly into it. You'll feel more manly, ya dehumidifier pansy!

;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

19. LOL

I have enough projects to make me feel manly thank you very much.

I mean if you want to come over and help split and stack the rest of my winter wood, build a chimney, build a proper bullet backstop, and construct a shed before winter gets here. your always welcome.

Heck i could charge for that and call it a manly week end retreat. And finish it off with clay shooting.

20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I have to take a nap that month.

Actually, I'm planning on trying to fix my washing machine. It'll fill and agitate but won't drain and spin-cycle. The all-knowing-internet says that it's probably my lid cutoff switch. <crosses fingers>

And here I thought shooting up "crocodile" was weird. Sheesh, kids these days will shoot up anything!

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk