Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a British Enfield re-import from a Boscovs department store like 15 years ago for $69 and finally decided to spruce it up. I threw an ATI Monte Carlo stock on it, bought a scope mount for it. I dropped a Nikon Pro Staff 3-9x40 w/bdc on it for good measure. So now I’m all ready to take it to the range and get it sighted in then? Some problems with the cheesy scope mount make it impossible to sight this bad boy in. I take it to the local Gunsmith to see what he can do to make it sturdy. 1st I'll give ya a couple of pics of the weapon in question and then I'll tell ya the story bout the bulged barrel.

So I stop in around 10:30 in the am to speak to the shop owner who says the gunsmith wont be in till the afternoon...and yer welcome to leave the weapon for him to look at when he gets in. So I do that and proceed to go shoot my XD-45 at the range to pass the time. I get the call later to come in and get my weapon so I head on back. What he tells me is a real shocker. That the scope mount is too cheesy and is actually canted rather extremely to the right. But most sinister is the fact that the barrel is apparently bulged right behind where the bayonet and sight lugs are on the barrel. And that this bulge is probably contributing to my lack of accuracy with the weapon. That I should get the barrel chopped off like 2†behind the original sight post. So I'm rather floored by all this...the only thing he didn't say was..."I'll buy it off you for $50 bucks kid".

So now I do my research to correct the problem with the scope mount since the gunsmith is useless. I discover that S&K sells a rather rigid scope mount that I can use with low profile scope rings. I order it and do my waiting. When it arrives I try using that plastic tasco scope guide...no good...head on over to a real gun shop just across the bridge where one of the guys behind the counter just sights it in for me and says “It should be on the paper for you now“. So back to the range.

Anyway here is my target from 50 yds. After I got her pretty close to zero I put up a fresh sheet and sent 3 rounds through her. Damn good for a bulged barrel in my book. :lol:

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Are you sure the barrel is bulged? Maybe he just told you that as a precursor to try to buy it off of you,... I would think that a true bulge would'nt be compensatable (is that even a word?), no matter what scope mount you used.

Either way I'd say that's pretty good shooting right there.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Indeed good shooting! And as the top of your target indicates, it's a "Keeper". :p

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
sounds to me like BS he just wanted your gun and what a nice gun too!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Call me cautious, but did he show you the exact area that was involved? Or, how the mount was "Canted" (again, going back to new parts on old gun)?
Not trying to go against that guy, but there should have been more info involved than just proclaiming it....

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Did he offer to "fix" the scope mount? Sounds like he wanted you to pay him to put on his "quality" scope rings.
The barrel bulge comment should have included a visual display with at least a vernier caliper, or micrometer.
It ain't gonna bulge on the inside without showing on the outside.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
You want to find out if it's really bulged ?Try running a cleaning rod with a fairly tight patch thru the bbl. If it bulged you will feel the free area at the bulge,the presure to push the patch will decrease to almost nothing at that spot. If you have the same drag the whole way thru call his bluff to show ya. --RR--

·
Registered
258 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts