Stovepiping Ruger

Discussion in 'Gunsmith shop' started by desertrider, May 19, 2014.

1. desertrider

desertrider Member

This started in the "Entry Level .22 Pistol" thread over in the General Firearms Discussion forum.

I stated that my 22/45 was a dud. I was asked why I said it was a dud, and this was my reply, which outlines the problem and some steps I took to address the problem.

A few members managed to stomach my ramblings and were kind enough to offer some suggestions that I hadn't considered which may identify and correct the problem.

1. Recoil spring too stiff/strong.
    2. Ejector damaged/out of spec.
    3. Extractor damaged/out of spec. (Less likely)
    4. Magazine not feeding properly. (Less likely)
    5. Ammo, insufficient velocity/poor quality. (Less likely)

I'm going to concentrate on #1 and #2, and originally decided to leave the bolt locked back for a week or so to hopefully relieve some of the resistance, but instead I decided to strip the pistol and inspect it.

[​IMG]

Upon inspection of the ejector, I noticed that it appears to be bent.....

[​IMG]

Looks like it is bent to the right. The receiver is inverted in these photos, so you're seeing it upside down, installed on the frame the ejector is slightly bent to the right.

[​IMG]

The forward facing tip of the ejector is squared and appears to be in good shape, it isn't rounded or chipped, and it is firmly attached to the receiver by way of the rivet - no wobbling at all.

[​IMG]

Does someone know if the 22/45 and Mark II use the same ejector? If so, does it look about the same as mine? I measured the length of the ejector from the back to the front tip, and it measures exactly 0.800".

[​IMG]

I'll start crawling around the web to see if I'm in spec, and if the ejector should be bent like it is.

Just thought I'd post up where I'm at with this thing.

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Does look slightly bent, good start DR!
    Good Luck, and I'll stay tuned!

3. desertrider

desertrider Member

Here's another set of pics that shows the ejector in relation to the bolt.

Maybe it isn't "bent" out of spec after all, because there doesn't appear to be any interference with the bolt. There is no felt resistance as the bolt reciprocates in the receiver as I cycled it through its range of motion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is an example of the stuff it is currently being fed. Over the years there have been several other types, but this is what I could find without digging too much through my ammo stash.

[​IMG]

4. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

That is a known and common problem with some of the earlier 22/45's. It is a two prong problem caused by the empty getting knocked off the extractor by the rear feed lips of the mags and a bad extractor. You should replace the factory extractor with a Volquartsen and round off the front of the rear feed lips on the mags. Just rounding off the mag lips won't solve it, you need to replace that factory extractor too.

I had the same problem with one of my early model 22/45's and it fixed the issue right up.

5. desertrider

desertrider Member

I modded one of my mags a few years ago hoping it would fix the problem, but no luck.

[​IMG]

I considered buying a new extractor, but the stock unit looks fine, so I never did.

I've spent plenty of money over the years on all kinds of gadgets for several of my guns, the difference is that it was by choice, not necessity.:mad:

So you're saying the combination of the magazine mod and the VQ extractor did the trick, huh?

Thinking.

6. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

You ammo horder! :D

7. desertrider

desertrider Member

Actually, those boxes are all empty. Why on earth would anyone need more than seven rounds per caliber? ;)

8. desertrider

desertrider Member

Guess we'll see.

[​IMG]

9. desertrider

desertrider Member

[​IMG]

That was quick.

Soon.

[​IMG]

10. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Oh so I need to give away my extra ammo to you.;)

11. desertrider

desertrider Member

Does anyone really have "extra" ammo anymore? I imagine that a stash of 250k rounds of .22 should be viewed as an investment against future shortages. So if you've got 1.5 million dollars in the bank, as opposed to say only 1 million, does that mean those 1/2 million bucks are "extra"?

If I had any more than seven rounds of .22, and let's say hypothetically that I had 57, 368 rounds stashed in ammo cans in my ammo locker, I'd be comfortable with that.

:cool::D

12. desertrider

desertrider Member

Well, my initial reaction after comparing the two extractors was pretty underwhelming.

[​IMG]

Stacking the new VQ unit on top of the OEM extractor and not seeing much of a noticeable difference was a bit of a bummer too.

[​IMG]

But after installing the new extractor and seeing it compared to the OEM unit, I can see that the extractor claw looks much more "aggressive".

OEM unit...

[​IMG]

Volquartsen unit...

[​IMG]

Now I gotta find time to make it out to the range and test this thing.

13. undeRGRound

INDY
    57,000 rounds of 22lr?

:D "old buddy" :D

14. undeRGRound

INDY
    That installed pic makes you think just a Volquartsen Extractor Spring would have done the trick... ;)

PLUS, I think you are going to be shickled titless with the way it works, and glad you did not heave it in the river or a garbage dump somewhere...

15. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

I own (2) 22/445's and can't say enough about them and it sucks to hear this stuff. If you continue to have a issue please PM for contact information let's just say i know somebody and will make it right for you.

16. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

30 ft away last weekend my wife shooting and she sucks

Attached Files:

• bu2.jpg
      bu2.jpg
      File size:
      246.6 KB
      Views:
    • 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      147.9 KB
      Views:
  17. undeRGRound

INDY
    @mrgreen

is that shots 1 and 2 then the next 8 all in one hole, 10 ring? :D

18. I can't imagine a 22-45 not working. I have never heard of any Ruger Mk not working.

I hate it for you man.

If mini mags didn't run through it Ruger should offer a replacement.

19. Drinva

Drinva meandmy45 Member

VA
    You shouldn't be playing "I fix it". You should contact Ruger, they will send a free pickup ups call tag to your email, ship the gun back to them, let them repair it and return it free of charge.

I know for a fact Ruger will take care of you 100%…

DR

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah

So...any reports?