Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be nice to have a handgun that is easier to strip down. Having to punch out the pin to remove the slide from the frame is tough.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Hi-point does not recommend field stripping their guns except for 1.5k-2k round deep cleans. I can't remember the last time I took mine apart to clean it. I spray out the action, barrel and firing pin channel with CLP Breaf-Free. Then, I run a bore snake through multiple times. Then I douse a patch in CLP and wipe down the external part of the barrel and around the front of the slide. Next, I put a patch into the slit behind the bristles of the bore snake and run it through a few more times. Finally, I douse another patch with 3-in-1 oil, stick it in the loop of the bore snake, and run it through several times. For the action, I use an alod toothbrush and scrub the chamber to help break stuff up some more. Then, I wrap a patch around the toothbrush and wipre down the chamber to remove anything that was loosened up. Finally, I put some 3-in-1 on another patch and wipe down the chamber with it using either the toothbrush again or just my finger. I also place a patch against the butt of the slide and slap it against my palm to remove the extra CLP. I then dribble some 3-in-1 down the channel and work the slide repeatedly. Last of all, I wipe down around where the slide meets the frame with 3-in-1 on a clean patch.

Mother (Hi-Point) even recommends shipping your gun to them for the high round-count cleanings so they can check it for proper function, update any parts that either need to be updated or are worn. Then they will clean it thoroughly, pack it back up, and ship it back to you, most likely with a free mag to offset the initial shipping costs. Mother really knows how to take care of her children.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Yeah but I'm one of those that cleans after every range trip and I like to break the gun down, it just takes a 1/8" punch not really that big of a deal. But if you follow Hi Points (and Broomheads) advice I'm sure you'll be fine.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Finally, I put some 3-in-1 on another patch and wipe down the chamber with it using either the toothbrush again or just my finger.
anyone else use 3 in 1? any objections to using it? I never thought of it before, just want to make sure its ok before I try it

·
Registered
258 Posts
Use 3in1 on all my guns.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
3n1 is a penetrating oil right? I always understood them to be bad for plastic parts.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Never thought of it as a penetrating oil. Haven't noticed any problems with my guns. Anyone else chime in?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Yeah but I'm one of those that cleans after every range trip and I like to break the gun down, it just takes a 1/8" punch not really that big of a deal. But if you follow Hi Points (and Broomheads) advice I'm sure you'll be fine.
+1

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I've used 3n1 on all of my guns as a post-cleaning lube/protectant. I've never had a single problem out of it. Now with that being said. I've also used rem oil with teflon and I've noticed alot more friction with it. so I just assume stick with the 3n1.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I do.. I even use it for WD40 in a pinch... But no problems when I clean the barrel after the range.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use rem oil in all my guns and then some. I wouldn't use anything else.

John

·
Registered
708 Posts
I just realised I made an error.. I meant to say I use rem oil as a subistute for WD40 around the house in a pinch... lol That stuff's great!

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Hello, I just bought a Hi Point JHP 45 used and was wondering where I could find how to field strip it for cleaning? Thnaks Andy

·
Banned
3,722 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Believe it or not, I always use automatic transmission fluid on all my slides on my Bersas and HP's. Just a drop on each rail and let it run down. tryit, you'll like it! Andy

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Hi-point does not recommend field stripping their guns except for 1.5k-2k round deep cleans...
You're right, of course -- at least as far as what's really necessary is concerned.

But another factor is the flak the HPs get on various forums about this very issue. If a design change is possible/feasible/economical it'd be a great "political" victory: no more hiding behind the "But you don't need to..." argument any more.

And, yes, I've broken down my C9s and my JH many times. And it's not a big deal. But it's a perceptual problem.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Well personally I think if you find using a pin punch and a hammer beyond your capabilities you probably shouldn't be fooling with live ammo in the first place :devilsidesmile:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts