Stubbed Toe

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Flyboy, Jan 31, 2016.

1. So my wife called me yesterday at work.

That's literally never happened before. In almost four years of being married, she has never once ever called me at work. My first thought was, "The kid's dead," because that's literally the only reason I would think of that she would call me at work.

Well, she tells me she took a spill down the stairs along with the baby, her foot is in so much pain that she can't move, and that my son landed on his head during the fall. So I grab some first aid stuff, jet out of work and rush back home. She said the baby was okay (calm, alert, active), so since it was her foot and her toes weren't turning blue, I told her not to call 999 (Britain's 911). We don't like the UK health system (TRICARE would cover us, but we wanted the base ER).
    I get home, and I take off her sock; her middle toe is bend waaay up at a weird angle, and the middle part is blue and almost spherical. Looking at it, I thought dislocation at first, but there was a wound there that reminded me of when a buddy of mine busted his finger and the bone popped through before going back in, so I got her and the kid in the car and to the ER.

Yup, dislocated. They popped it back in and buddy-taped her toe. They also took a look at the boy, determined he was good; turns out he only fell like a foot and kind of at an angle, so while he had some redness on his head, he didn't have any injuries, so they let him go. But she's gonna have to follow up with orthopedics to make sure the bone isn't damaged.
    She actually said the pain was worse than childbirth. Of course, this is a woman who's definition of pain is on par with the Texas definition of big. :p

And I got out of work early! :p

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Glad they're both ok!

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Babies are tougher than modern parents and lawyers think.

I was at the scene of a crash in Germany, car slid off the autobahn sideways, smacked a tree, baby in the car seat in the back got bounced around in the car seat. First person there was a German lady, she grabbed the baby, second was a guy who was holding the woman as she went crazy about her baby, by the time I got there with a couple of medics from the car behind me, the baby's head was swelling, looked about 50% too big, I'm talking B- movie mutant.

So, I ask the lady if the medics can help, she says really calmly, no, it's ok. I say, well, these guys are medics, they can help. She says she's a doctor, life flight is on the way, there's nothing to do. I asked her about the baby, she said oh, it's all good, babies heads and skulls are so elastic, it would be just fine as long as there wasn't too much internal bleeding.

Since then, I have a hard time getting too upset over a little bump on the noggin.;)

Glad they are all good, Flyboy.:)

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    LOL, I thought you stubbed your toe, FB...
    I was gonna say "Better than having your WINGS CLIPPED!" :p

5. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

At boot camp 18 years from now:

DID YO MOMMA DROP YOU ON YOUR HEAD??!!!

'Well sarge now you mention it she did'

DROP AND GIVE ME 100 PRIVATE JOKER!!!

[​IMG]

6. This I believe would make twice that she's done that lol.
    The first was when he rolled off the bed while she let go of him for a second. Our bed is only like a foot or less off the floor anyways, and then this. But of course he's learning to toddle, so he's been doing it himself plenty. Has yet to master the fine art of balance.
    I freak the Hell out of her all the time; I toss him up in the air, I hang him upside down, I throw him into piles of pillows and blankets. He loves it, but she sees it and shrieks every time. :p

7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Lil' Daredevil in training :D

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    When he jumps off the roof and breaks a leg, or joins the army to be Airborne, you'll know who's fault it is.:p

9. Hers, he's already too smart for the Army. :p

10. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

So then he'll be a Marine. Unless she's secretly training him to follow in dad's footsteps with all the crash landings.

11. No, no, he's too smart for the Army NOW.
    He was too smart for the Marines about the time he started to realize I don't actually disappear when we play peek-a-boo.

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Sigh.:rolleyes:

We've been over this...a smart guy in the other services can get ahead fast...with a little luck, in the right MOS, he could outrank you before you retired.:p

And that's if he went enlisted.

13. SWAGA

Tell your wife two more drops and he's back to Army.....lol

14. Knowing our family, if he does end up joining, he'll be hard pressed not to be an officer lol.
    Even an E-9 has to salute an O-1.....sadly. :p

15. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Glad everything was "mostly" ok Flyboy, stuff like that is scary!

16. SWAGA

Army for sure.....

[​IMG]

17. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Dislocations HURT, when I had the car accident my right thumb was pushed almost back to my wrist. I grabbed it and popped it back in without thinking because it used to sorta pop out if I used it wrong. PAIN! Doc had to open the joint at the base and scrape out the ripped cartilage...