Study shows prisons hold more than just criminals.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ajole, Apr 14, 2014.

1. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
  2. j_inmon

j_inmon Member

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Typical media confusion...a paragraph later they say 30% are on some form of drug for mental issues.

4. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Doesn't surprise me at all. In fact, I'd say more than 30% of my clients at work who have mental health issues also have a criminal record.

Most of the arrests occur when people are off their medications. Many are homeless or live independently, and have no structure in their lives. They wander the streets with no purpose (I don't mean purpose as humans, I mean they aren't out doing anything in particular) and it leads to getting into trouble

5. mawguy

mawguy Sheep Dog Member

First, a bit of disclosure. I have a brother who is schizophrenic, I have been a health care administrator for 40 years, and have a degree in psychology.

In the early 1990's the promoters of Mental Health Reform insisted on reducing the institutional population to as close to zero as possible. Their theory is that most of the mentally ill can live in the community with supervision.

This is wrong on two levels. First, there are some that are in and out of hospitals on short cycles and are a danger either to themselves or others. These are the people that comprise a large part of the homeless population and who get into trouble with the law.

The second issue is that in the community model, there are not near enough case managers to ever properly manage the lives of the mentally ill. Medication management requires daily observation and adjustment. By the time a person in the community needs a change in meds, they are already out of control.

Any time you hear a politician or bureaucrat use the word "reform" you should be worried. Until we face up to the realities of dealing with mental illness, we will continue to deal with all the problems that "reform" has created.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  6. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

maw....thanks for summing that up so succinctly. I work for a non profit law office in the downtown area of my town. That sums up close to half of our clients. I personally deal with Social Security benefits (SSI) and welfare benefits. I work with these people, a I read their medical records.

My town has a pretty good amount of free services available to the low income community and especially for those suffering from behavioral health difficulties. But yeah, you pretty much nailed it. One simple walk about 5 blocks down the main street in town (our office is on that street) and you will see exactly what you describe.

7. madchad

madchad o_O Member

Not many things can ruin a life like somebody trying to "help".

I think the root of the problem here is that our prison system is a rampant cash cow. People get trampled.

8. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

It doesn't help much when you mix criminals in prison, too.
    Some places you have Pothead Pete sharing a bunk with Hacksaw Harry because budget cuts forced prisons to combine in order to save money. Add to that guards who are overworked and understaffed get to deal with the whole thing. Then you get your career criminal who can't hack it outside of prison, so he commits another crime to get thrown back in.