Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster here :D

I have been thinking about buying a 995 or 4095 since holding one and I have a couple questions.

Is there any tell-tale signs to look for when buying one of the carbines? The one I am looking at is at a local gunshop and I noticed when I pushed the mag release button that it doesn't drop out any.

Granted I not an expert with firearms but most of the guns with mags that I have fired, the mag drops freely out or at least drops a few inches. Is this indicative of a problem or just an unbroken in gun?

Also the price of the 995 is $219 here in East TN. I had heard that the price was going to be going up but I'm not sure if that is still fair price.

Thank you all, been reading post here for a month or so doing my homework and it has helped out a lot. :)

-Brandon

G

·
from what i can tell the mag does not always drop because there is not a spring dedicated to the task on my 995, would expect the 4095 is the same. just tried mine for referrence again, a "full" mag drops right out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
$219 is a fair price for a 995, but you can pay a good bit less. Depends on where you live, I guess. I have noticed the prices going up, down, and up again at the gun shop in my neighborhood anywhere from 180 to 220 or so over the past months. Supply and demand. If you are determined to get a rock bottom price, you can try ordering one directly from a distributor like S.O.G. but the savings would amount to about 30-40 dollars depending on the shipping and tranfer fee. $30 isn't that much to pay for the instant gratification of being able to take it out of the store that day.
As for the mag question, I have noticed empty mags staying up in there once in a while. The mags have a little protruding area right above the hole where the mag catch fits in, I guess maybe that is what catches and holds it in place every so often.
Doesn't concern me much for what it is worth.

·
1,792 Posts
219 For a 995 is way cheap to me considering they run 265 here in my woods.

The mags do not drop out freely, as stated above.

Welcome and good luck.

G

·
there is no positive ejection mechanism. the magazines don't even have a follower that would allow the carbine to have a last-shot bolt-open catch.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
The 2 mags I bought separate from the 995 both drop out freely (I have ATI stock) but the one that it came with hangs about 1cm out when I push the mag release button.

If you can feel the ejector to see if there are any burrs on it I'd try to do that. Mine had a few and they caused FTEs. Nothing a few minutes of filing can't fix, but taking the thing apart all the way can be a beast.

·
Registered
27 Posts
995 Price

We sell a bare bones 995 for $199.. so at $219 you're only 10% higher, not all that much.. probably spend more than that shopping someplace else and having it shipped in and transfered.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
First time poster here :D

I have been thinking about buying a 995 or 4095 since holding one and I have a couple questions.

Is there any tell-tale signs to look for when buying one of the carbines? The one I am looking at is at a local gunshop and I noticed when I pushed the mag release button that it doesn't drop out any.

Granted I not an expert with firearms but most of the guns with mags that I have fired, the mag drops freely out or at least drops a few inches. Is this indicative of a problem or just an unbroken in gun?

Also the price of the 995 is $219 here in East TN. I had heard that the price was going to be going up but I'm not sure if that is still fair price.

Thank you all, been reading post here for a month or so doing my homework and it has helped out a lot. :)

-Brandon
The mags DO NOT drop freely from the 995 & must be pulled out. Don't worry though. With a little oil on the mechanisms & after some firing time it will loosen up some.

I paid $200 + Tax for mine & you could always make an offer for less & see what they say. You'll spend more in gas searching around for a cheaper one so it may be worth it to pay $219 for it.

Also, as ThePBM has stated, the 995 does not have a "Last Round Hold Open" feature, so you will be counting your shots which is a good habit to get into.

The 995 is a fine, bare bones gun & you will enjoy the heck out of shooting it.
Stay away from the Pro-Mag Magazines though. Just buy the 995 mags from Hi-Point or make sure you buy Hi-Point factory mags from your gun shop.

G

·
I think I am one of the lucky ones that purchased my 995 for $135.00 OTD used, which came with a scope. My magazine drops free, and I have no complaints or issues at this time.

I will be looking for a 4095 to add to my collection :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
An excellent price for a 995 is 150-180, a fair price is 180-210 a high price is 210 + IMO.

G

·
there is no positive ejection mechanism. the magazines don't even have a follower that would allow the carbine to have a last-shot bolt-open catch.
The 4095 does this, though not via a follower. the 995 doesent hold open at all AFAIK.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
4095 has LRHO, 995 does not at this time, but it was said that they would in the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm keeping an eye out for a good deal on a 9 or 40 here locally, so hopefully I'll luck up.

G

·
Order directly from SOG.COM (Southern Ohio Gun Works) and have it shipped to your local friendly FFL who only charges a transfer fee and not a 75% markup. I think the NIB 995 is about $140 and with shipping, tax and transfer it should cost you around $175-$180 out the door.
Around here the local FFLs typically charge $40-$50 transfer on a long gun, $50-60 on a handgun. I've been eyeing the W. German Sig P225/P6's at $270 at aimsurplus, but by the time you add in FFL fees and shipping even that nice deal gets dangerously close to the dealer pricing on a lightly used G19 or something. Too bad all firearms aren't C&R eligible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts