Stupid Self Defense Advice

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, May 7, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Even people who you would think are experts and should know, apparently, give out bad advice.

Take this fellow, Jason Hanson.

From his article:
    "About Jason Hanson
    Jason Hanson is a former CIA Officer and author of The Covert Guide to Concealed Carry. He is also the creator of the Ultimate Concealed Carry Experience, which allows you to take your concealed carry training without leaving home. For full details about this training, please visit Concealed Carry Academy."​

But in his article on USA Carry, 6 Self-Defense Tools To Save Your Life, he advices his readers to carry a "Monkey's Fist." He's right that it's a great weapon. And every state legislature knew it so, just like blackjacks, saps, and "metal knuckles," they're outlawed most everywhere, starting often times with pre-civil war laws against carrying a "Slungshot."

Mr. Jason Hanson, ex-CIA self defense "expert" is recommending to his readers that they carry an "illegal concealed weapon."

If you're lucky it's not illegal in your state (but it probably is), or it's covered under your state's CCW laws (but it probably isn't) or, most likely, the police simply don't care that you have a "sap." If you can't get away with carrying a lock-on-a-chain or a rock-in-a-sock in your state, don't try to carry a "Monkey's Fist."

The take-away lesson for this is, just because some "expert" tells you something, don't take it at face value. Research it. There are more tools now than ever before to check it out for yourself. Do so.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    What if it's disguised as a key chain? Perhaps a lead ball encased in macrame?

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

What if it is disguised? It's still illegal and you're depending on being more clever than the cops at hiding an illegal weapon than they are at realizing there's one there.

Nah. Disguising it as a keychain is really hoping that either the cop is sympathetic to self defense and "wink wink nudge nudge" ignore it or that the cop is just too busy dealing with real criminals to screw around with some otherwise law abiding bloke and he doesn't really want to screw around with hours of paperwork for a charge that will probably just irritate the Judge if it's all he arrests you for.

But it's hard to depend on that.

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/09/17/Hillsborough/Tourist_s_crime_Totin.shtml

That's what a Money's Fist is. I make 'em, myself. But they're still illegal to carry in most places.

[​IMG]

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  4. cicpup

Vermont
    So it's all good then? Cool.

Should sell them to chicks as self defensive hair ties.

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I had a cop buddy strait up tell me that he wouldn't bother arresting someone for a switchblade because the judge would get mad if that were the only charge and throw it out.

But he'd happily us it to up-charge from something else. Drugs or whatever.

I like hair-pins better. :)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. Looks like a boat tie off to me.

All joking aside. It's terrible advice. People all the time think that either
    A. they can carry anything that's not a gun.
    And B. Think having a ccw allows them to carry everything.

A lot of states don't issue a ccw.
    In pa I have a LTCF. License to carry firearm. Nothing more. But I always see people carry switch blades in there pocket. And brass knuckles both of wich they could easily be arrested

7. cicpup

Vermont
    That's not cool. They can have a stiletto and I can't?

8. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

This guys like the other asshat that likes to put out books and testify as a expert. I saw him on TV the other night what a joke.

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Grow your chest hair out and put it in a bun. Then you can justify a hair-pin. :rofl:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Well, the "Monkey's Fist" is a maritime knot and the term "slungshot" itself is also maritime origin (for casting line ship-to-ship or ship-to-dock).

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I'm almost there.......

12. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

He said chest, not your back. :D

13. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Keys on the end of a leather braid, I carry way to many... truck, house, sheds, observatory, multiple padlocks... probably 15 keys on that thing. And I have the leather... will have to do that.

14. menhir

menhir Member

I walk with a cane and so far, a cane ain't illegal.

I usually use a blackthorn stick my daughter bought for me on a college educational trip (pub crawl :D ) in Ireland some years ago.

That sucker is one tough piece of wood. :cool:

And the knobby finish means it doubles as a great back-scratcher, too. :)

15. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I need to find one of those. Might need to run to Irie.

16. Bull

Back IS already there!...
    Chest is close....

17. Bull

That's the Mrs and I's hopeful 20 yr anniversary trip.

18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Blackthorns are a pretty good wood for sticks if done right. Most of the tourist trap ones are over-dried and brittle.

They're "traditional" Faction Fighting tools, held to have magic powers. Among other things, it was said that wounds from a Blackthorn healed faster than from other wood. The knobby finish was sometimes considered a fighting advantage. Occasionally the thorns would be left on.

There were a couple of traditional methods for curing a blackthorn stick. One included burying it in a dungheap. :(

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

19. In some states a person can carry alternative weapons openly. Some of those weapons are not noticeable while carried open, such as a expanding baton. A cane is a very good self defense weapon, but in NC it must not be weighted, or have a concealed blade. Just use a heavy wood like hickory. IMO a cane is one of the best weapons for almost everybody.

A good weapon, though a PITA to take care of is a well trained canine. But be careful, some states charge felonies for dog bites.

Some stick makers around here petrify their canes by using dung. It turns the wood dark, makes it very heavy.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  20. menhir

menhir Member

Right. Definitely not one of the knock-offs. My daughter and I are both martial arts instructors...we know the "good stuff." :)

People always assume, given my profession, that I have some sort of sword hidden in there or that it's some sort of modified fighting cane.

Nope.

I'm just a proponent of Teddy Roosevelt's "Speak softly and carry a big stick..." approach. ;)

Anyway, a cane is always a cane (or a walking stick) and I assume will be viewed as such by the law. A cane that has been modified to be a weapon will likely be viewed quite differently.

I always tell my students, "You think you're defending yourself against the bad guy, but you're ultimately defending yourself against the bad guy's lawyer."

Last edited: May 8, 2015