Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am aware than many 22 semi autos dont cycle with sub sonic ammo but i was wondering if its a different story with how light weight SNS pistols seem. If they do work im wondering which one would be the most reliable/lightweight for use as a running anti dog gun.

·
Premium Member
36,700 Posts
My .22 semi auto pistol, a S&W Victory, will shoot “subsonic” ammo…but “subsonic” is a moving target. At my elevation, depending on temps and humidity, it’s about 1,100 fps, and I can find ammo that isn’t called or listed as subsonic, that actually IS subsonic out of my pistol, but still cycles just fine. And it’s pretty quiet.

But….It’s not nearly as quiet as shorts through my bolt action rifle. And that suppressor makes it NOT runner friendly.

Another option would be a revolver with shorts or caps. Never tried it, but it would be reliable, and there are 9 round cylinders out there. My H&R is a small gun, though not 32 ACP KelTec small. No idea how loud it would be, but .22 in a pistol is loud.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Super Moderator
9,614 Posts
I am aware than many 22 semi autos dont cycle with sub sonic ammo but i was wondering if its a different story with how light weight SNS pistols seem.
Not trying to be a wiseazz here, but “Lightweight SNS” is kind of an oxymoron since SNS pistols are made of Zamak, which weighs a bit. But assuming you mean Jennings J-22 / Jimenez JA-22 or the Lorcin L22 pistols, the answer is a definite “No”. These little blowback pistols work best with High Velocity rounds, like CCI Minimags. This is also true of other diminutive .22 pistols such as the Sterling 302 and the Walther TPH. Trust me, I’m frugal and I’ve tried all sorts of ammo in my various Jennings .22s

Reactions: lklawson

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,012 Posts
I am aware than many 22 semi autos dont cycle with sub sonic ammo but i was wondering if its a different story with how light weight SNS pistols seem. If they do work im wondering which one would be the most reliable/lightweight for use as a running anti dog gun.
Get a small 38. Revolver for running

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
Get a small 38. Revolver for running
Taurus 85UL is a good budget choice. Another option would be a small .380, but I'm more partial to wheelies.

Reactions: moona11

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,012 Posts
Taurus 85UL is a good budget choice. Another option would be a small .380, but I'm more partial to wheelies.
I prefer them for running when I did. Or going for walks. Simple to use for BG or a animal. Point and shoot. Easy to clean sweat/moisture from. I got E a S&W 638 stainless. Loved it and got another. Great for her she has a sports bra with a built-in holster. She never has issues with it while running.

·
Super Moderator
9,614 Posts
I tried some in Jennings, Lorcin, Sterling, and Phoenix .22 pistols and I couldn’t get any of them to cycle reliably. It was a frustrating experience. On the other hand, my Ruger Mk1 ate it up like candy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts