10.5” barrel.

·
I Stand With Talon
6,517 Posts
Advice please.

Subsonic 5.56 w/55 gn FMJBT.

Powder charge?

10.5" barrel.
If you are going to load a 55gr you might as well just shoot a 22lr and be done with it.
Loading a sub for a bolt 223 would be better then trying to do it with a 10.5" semi as you are going to have issues getting reliable cycling. Here is a load table though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

Reactions: lklawson

·
Super Moderator
28,450 Posts
IMS, Hodgdon 4895 also has reduced loads. Up to 10% under book min. according to Hodgdon, IIRC.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: histed

·
Super Moderator
28,450 Posts
Here's the Hodgdon 4895 reduced load info, straight from Hodgdon:

Hodgdon Powder Company has found that H4895 can be loaded to reduced levels. H4895was chosen because it is the slowest burning propellant that ignites uniformly in reduced charges. To create reduced loads, the 60% formula is recommended.

Find the H4895 load in the Reloading Data Center for your caliber and bullet.

Take the maximumH4895 charge listed and multiply by 60% (.6). The load may be adjusted up from there to achieve the desired velocity and accuracy.

This works only where H4895 is listed. DO NOT use in a cartridge where H4895is not shown.​

Example: 30-06 cartridge with 125 gr. Sierra SP bullet. Max load shown in the Reloading Data Center with H4895 is 53.7 grains. 53.7 X .6 = 32.2 grains. The shooter begins with this load, and may work up from there to obtain the desired velocity and accuracy for his reduced load.

Call Hodgdon Powder Company if additional information is needed, 913-362-9455.​

Hodgdon 4895 reduced loads.png

off site link to PDF:
https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/h4895-reduced-rifle-loads.pdf

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
35,847 Posts
Pointless, really.

The reality is, a .224 caliber pill at under 1200 fps is just a midlevel .22. May as well shoot a .22. That's why I signed up for a .22 rimfire silencer when I got into it 6 months ago.

Wonder if THAT application is going to go through.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
28,450 Posts
If you are going to load a 55gr you might as well just shoot a 22lr and be done with it.
Pointless, really.
[...]
May as well shoot a .22. That's why I signed up for a .22 rimfire silencer when I got into it 6 months ago.
I don't agree. Being able to have a large range of performance options in the same gun, without having to change barrel, BCG, or whatever else, is handy. Sure you could get a .22LR, or a .22LR conversion for your AR. But being able to roll your own reduced ammo and still shoot it in the same gun, without modification to the gun, saves dollars and can be fun.

And it is even better if your 5.56 is a bolt gun. There's no good option for that to "convert" it to a .22LR. But if you hand load, you can get .22LR performance without having to buy anything. You've already go the reloading gear, powder, bullets, etc. So why not?

Makes sense to me for some people. It's not the only option but it is an option.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
35,847 Posts
Sure.
I even loaded some "22 mag powered" 40 grain.
It was pointless.

Here's the problem.
How much of each of the 4 or 5 types of ammo will you need for this hypothetical world scenario these bullets are for? Got my subsonic, got my 45 grain high velocity varmint load, got my 55 grain FMJ, got my 62 grain soft point, got my 62 grain penetrator, got my 70 grain sooper dooper load...

Is it for a specific hunting trip? Then carry the right ammo, not several types.
Is it for self defense out on the road? Then put two guns in the truck.
Is it for self defense at home? Then put two+ guns in the rack.
If you have one gun and 6 mags each with a different load in it, all color coded and arranged in my belt so you can select it without looking...sounds like COD or MOH, just push X for a different effect.

If you are going to carry a pile of "other" ammo...you may as well carry "another" gun.
Like maybe a silenced .22 pistol.

·
Super Moderator
28,450 Posts
Sure.
I even loaded some "22 mag powered" 40 grain.
It was pointless.

Here's the problem.
How much of each of the 4 or 5 types of ammo will you need for this hypothetical world scenario these bullets are for? Got my subsonic, got my 45 grain high velocity varmint load, got my 55 grain FMJ, got my 62 grain soft point, got my 62 grain penetrator, got my 70 grain sooper dooper load...

Is it for a specific hunting trip? Then carry the right ammo, not several types.
Is it for self defense out on the road? Then put two guns in the truck.
Is it for self defense at home? Then put two+ guns in the rack.
If you have one gun and 6 mags each with a different load in it, all color coded and arranged in my belt so you can select it without looking...sounds like COD or MOH, just push X for a different effect.

If you are going to carry a pile of "other" ammo...you may as well carry "another" gun.
Like maybe a silenced .22 pistol.
Maybe it's because you've got a .223 bolt gun and some squirrels that you don't want to turn into pink mist. It's cheaper than buying a .22 rifle or a 410.

My point is, it's not pointless. There really are use cases, even if it's not YOUR use case.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
35,847 Posts
Maybe it's because you've got a .223 bolt gun and some squirrels that you don't want to turn into pink mist. It's cheaper than buying a .22 rifle or a 410.

My point is, it's not pointless. There really are use cases, even if it's not YOUR use case.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
If you paid for a suppressor and a stamp...I'm not sure money is the issue here.

Or maybe, since you apparently are worried about something other than sound, you just shoot them in the head with a 3200 fps 45 grain and call it good.

I'm saying there are other, better ways to do everything I can see the subsonic .223 being used for, in the civilian world. Outside that world..there are other better answers as well, but they are another discussion entirely.

So how about, rather than what-iffing all day, HE tells us what the goal is, and proves me wrong? Or not.

·
Super Moderator
28,450 Posts
I'm saying there are other, better ways to do everything I can see the subsonic .223 being used for, in the civilian world.
There are always other ways to do things. That doesn't mean that any given way has no value.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
35,847 Posts
It's called hyperbole, Kirk. Language isn't black and white.

But until someone points out WHAT we are doing and WHY we think this is the way to do it, "other ways" are pointless to discuss.

See...there's that word again.

·
Super Moderator
28,450 Posts
hyperbole
This is a word that I read before I heard it. Consequently, I still see it in my mind as having a hyphenated two syllable structure with a long O and silent E. "hyper--bole"

Same thing with "syncope." I read it before I heard it so I still mentally see "sine-kope" with a long O and silent E.

Reactions: ajole

·
Premium Member
9,337 Posts
I load reduced 223, but not subsonic. I use the 55 grain Bator cast bullet. I load them to 22 WRF levels. They are minute of squirrel head out to 40 yards or so. I

am not a big fan of them. the 22 Hornet makes a much better platform for reduced loads using the cast bullet.

Reactions: lklawson and ajole

·
Premium Member
35,847 Posts
This is a word that I read before I heard it. Consequently, I still see it in my mind as having a hyphenated two syllable structure with a long O and silent E. "hyper--bole"

Same thing with "syncope." I read it before I heard it so I still mentally see "sine-kope" with a long O and silent E.
Hyper Bole...a very large, long and overly active tree trunk.:thumbsup:

I know that feeling. Most recent one was "Hermione". Holy freaking crap...is it French, English, or Greek? I guessed wrong. Stupid names...:rolleyes:

Reactions: lklawson
1 - 15 of 15 Posts