Suggestions for my trip to Amarillo TX

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lcback, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Alright guys,

I am going to be traveling to Amarillo TX with my wife May 5th through the 10th. for a wedding my wife is in.

I know TX is a huge state and i dont expect anyone to meet me anywhere and i do not know what days what is going on and when my wife will be busy making wedding stuff.

But if anyone is familiar with the area, and can give me ideas on resturaunts, full auto shooting rentals, or just cool places to see.

I have never been to TX. right now my only plans are.

Ride a horse at the state park the wedding is at. go to the wedding. try not to spend a boat load of cash. and pray the air line doesn't loose my CCW in checked baggage.

2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Smell the feed lots.

3. planosteve

The helium museum is pretty cool and there is an RV museum also.

4. planosteve

It is now called the Don Harrington discovery center.

5. two things just happend.

I refreshed and though WOW i got 3 replies already. then i saw "planosteve" and thought WOW he probably has great ideas.

Then i saw you posted all 3 times, and gave me some truly "interesting" things.

Why does an RV museum in Texas not surprise me?
    I have been warned about the smell of dead cows...

6. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    TX...a whole different country...

7. they have reciprocity with PA. so its better than international :p

8. planosteve

It is nicer than Lubbock but that ain't sayin much.

9. Thank you, I told my wife i have to try ribs and a steak while we are there. That's all i know. But i haven't had any BBQ besides from chain restaurants, or normal grilling.

10. I see now that The Big Texan is in amarillo. The place you see on the food network all the time. I know where im getting a steak..... no not the 72oz one.
    http://bigtexan.com/

11. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Have to try a TX hotlink, and the smoked brisket!

12. planosteve

You poor, poor child. I really feel sorry for you. I haven't been to Amarillo in 20 years so I was just going by memory. Last time I was there it was 5 below and snow and ice. Lots of good non-chain restaurants. I have found that asking locals is a good way to find the best places to eat.

13. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

all you have to do is look to see where all the pickups are, that will be the places with the best food and biggest portions. ;)

If it has carpet on the floor, leave and find you a real Texas restaurant. :)

14. Rerun

Rerun Member

Pack medium weight jackets ~ It still gets nippy at night, especially with the winds.

eldar

PS It's 61 degrees here in Houston, right now!

15. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Find a beer can and stand on it. You'll be able to see the Oklahoma border.

16. rickm

rickm Member

^^^^^^^ and i will wave at you lmao

17. Lol where are you located? I know Oaklahoma and new Mexico are close by.

18. ichthyo

ichthyo Lifetime Supporter

Big Texan Steak Ranch
    bigtexan.com/
    The Big Texan Steak Ranch

In 1960, R. J. "Bob" Lee opened The Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo on Route 66, the "Mother Road. Its distinctive architecture soon became recognized ...
    48 Google reviews · Write a review
    7701 Interstate E 40, Amarillo, TX 79118
    (806) 372-1000

19. rickm

rickm Member

Im just north of red river at the cross roads of 70 & 75 next to lake texoma