Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Rossi M63 Revolver that looked as though it had never been fired. I thought it would be a good carry gun. After I have been reading articles and experiences that people have had on this site, I have been reconsidering. It is a nice revolver but I don't like that there are only 5 shots before reloading must be done. I did get a speed loader but it still takes longer than inserting a mag.
I was then thinking about a Kel-Tec P11 or a PF9. I was speaking to a guy at the gun store and he said that I should get the PF9 because he said something about the mag on the P11. I am not sure what he was speaking about and I have not talked to anyone else that has used a P11.
The other day, I read a story on USCCA about a paramedic that had to use his firearm in a SD situation. He fired and fired and the BG finally dropped when he hit him in the leg. He rethought that situation and decided that he wanted something with more stoppping power than a 9MM. After reading that, I am thinking about getting a 45 ACP but I don't want something that is so heavy that it is difficult to carry every day. I am a woman (not a petite one) and I have large hands for a woman. I have fired a 357, 9mm carbine, 40 S&W and 22 rifle. I don't think I would have any problem with a 45 ACP but my biggest concern is ease of carry. I will probably end up carrying with a Belly Belt.
I actually don't have my CCW yet. I sent it in but as of the news on Friday, so have another 95,000 people. That's how many applications they have that have not been opened yet! They are going to hire some other people because of the backlog but that will not be until April. According to a guy at the gun store yesterday, it could be 8 or 9 months before I get it.
I don't know about how things are in other places but guns are very scarse here now and especially for CC. The thing is, they can't even tell you if or when they will be getting others. Ammo is also in short supply. I live in FL. If something does come in, I need to get it while I can so I am trying to get educated on the best gun for me. Oh, I forgot to mention...money IS an object so I need something as inexpensive (yet reliable) as possible!
Thank you for any suggestions that can help me!
Pat[/b][/color]

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Wow, that's a tall order..... However, here's my take on it.

A revolver is always a good choice for CCW due to ease of operation. Reloading speed is something that comes with practice, but some people just either don't take the time or don't have the time to practice with it to become proficient. Either way, you want an Semi-auto for CCW and I can understand that, as I carry Semi-autos all the time.

As far as a 9mm for CC, it's all about shot placement, the idea of "stopping power" is a myth. There is no bullet out there big enough to knock a bad guy down with just 1 shot based on kinetic energy.

My suggestion to you would be go to an indoor gun range where they rent various guns and shoot several different ones until you find one that you are comfortable with. Personally, I'd try the Smith and Wesson M&P .45. It's a full frame .45 but it's slenderized for CCW purposes, made in the USA and guaranteed for life. MSRP is around $500.00 IIRC, and it's a damn fine gun.

I could suggest others to you, but honestly its a decision that you can only make for yourself, based on experience with the individual firearm you choose to carry.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Wow, that's a tall order..... However, here's my take on it.

A revolver is always a good choice for CCW due to ease of operation. Reloading speed is something that comes with practice, but some people just either don't take the time or don't have the time to practice with it to become proficient. Either way, you want an Semi-auto for CCW and I can understand that, as I carry Semi-autos all the time.

As far as a 9mm for CC, it's all about shot placement, the idea of "stopping power" is a myth. There is no bullet out there big enough to knock a bad guy down with just 1 shot based on kinetic energy.

My suggestion to you would be go to an indoor gun range where they rent various guns and shoot several different ones until you find one that you are comfortable with. Personally, I'd try the Smith and Wesson M&P .45. It's a full frame .45 but it's slenderized for CCW purposes, made in the USA and guaranteed for life. MSRP is around $500.00 IIRC, and it's a damn fine gun.

I could suggest others to you, but honestly its a decision that you can only make for yourself, based on experience with the individual firearm you choose to carry.
+1 on everything this genius of a man said.

I carry both a 9mm semi-auto and a .357mag revolver. I plan on cutting back to just the .357, when I can fully trust it, for quick/short outings. It is only a 5 shot, but I carry 2 speed-loaders, and I'm confident in my marksmanship. As Primal said, find somewhere, or someone, that will let you try out all the guns your heart desires.

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
I've always had good luck with Rossi revolvers. Most gun fights end in seconds with 2-3 shots fired.It's either you won the fight, or SORRY,GAME OVER, NEED MORE PRACTICE :'(

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've always thought If I can't get the job done in 5 rounds then I should not have drawn my weapon .. 8) The chance of haveing to fire more than that are very very very slim .. A speed loader is always a good thing to have for just in case . (Just my two cents)

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I've always thought If I can't get the job done in 5 rounds then I should not have drawn my weapon .. 8) The chance of haveing to fire more than that are very very very slim .. A speed loader is always a good thing to have for just in case . (Just my two cents)
Agreed. +1 to getting the job done in 5 rounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.