Suggestions on HP ammo for 380

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by RustyJ25, Aug 17, 2015.

1. RustyJ25

RustyJ25 Member

I have shot about 300 rounds of fmj with my 380 at the range and I think it should be broke in enough to try some self defense hollow point now. What I would keep loaded at home. Any suggestions of a load that you have used and had good luck with would be appreciated. I have been reading where certain ammo doesn't expand or get advertised velocity or penetration because of barrel length and such and I just want to see if anyone has had a particular brand or grain that has done well with their 380. Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

2. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I had the opportunity to shoot several styles of 380 into some hams. Although I did not shoot but a few, it was enough to keep me from shooting hollow points in the 380. One type of hollow point punched right through, didn't appear to expand at all. Two other brands of hollow points expanded well, but suffered in penetration. A flat point fmj showed the most promise. Full penetration and an enlarged exit hole. That's what I carry in my 380's

3. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

I'd hit youtube. Put in ".380 ballistic gel test". Youre looking for a minimum of 12 inches of penetration but no more than 18 inches.

Reliability, putting it in the "right spot" and penetration is the key to bullet performance.

4. histed

histed Supporting Member

I load Federal Hydra Shoks. Here's a link http://shootingthebull.net/blog/final-results-of-the-380-acp-ammo-quest/ that might be helpful. Seems like greg was headed in the right direction. Lot of HP ammo, whether .380, 9mm, .40 or whatever, tends to plug when it goes through clothing, leaving you with what amounts to a FMJ round - at least according to what I've seen. Hydra Shoks faired pretty well in the test I linked to.